Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

yeah Warner Bros Discovery is going to go bankrupt pretty soon. It just looks really bad.

It looks bad because of the write down. Basically because of them losing the NBA rights, they had to say that their linear networks are not worth as much as theyy thought and so they need to write off a loss per accounting principles.

In reality, their operating profit i.e. how much money they actually make from their business, was a 1.8 billion. They also brought down their debt by 1.8 billion.

That's not to say it was a good quarter, but they are far from having to declare bankruptcy

• Like 2

Just now, HowSway said:

It looks bad because of the write down. Basically because of them losing the NBA rights, they had to say that their linear networks are not worth as much as theyy thought and so they need to write off a loss per accounting principles.

In reality, their operating profit i.e. how much money they actually make from their business, was a 1.8 billion. They also brought down their debt by 1.8 billion.

That's not to say it was a good quarter, but they are far from having to declare bankruptcy

yeah I don't really know how to read a balance sheet. I'm just looking at the plummeting stock price.

So WB has "completed but not released" theatrical production costs of 425M

• Twisters (let's assume half so 80M-100M)
  • Mickey 17 (didn't Bong but out a statement this film had been complete for some time) - 150M-200M
  • Joker (minus co-producers?) - <200M
  • Trap(? - probably not given it's M Night so WB's just distributing [though do acquisition costs count here?])
  • Beatlejuice Beatlejuice (not sure if that would have qualified) >100M?

Does that make sense or am I completely off base? For context at the end of 2023 the number was 107 million (which I'm guessing represents WB's share of Dune part 2).

WB has a pretty skimpy schedule so I'm not sure how many films this could be referencing. If Joker has co-producers, having this refer to those films and not beatlejuice would work for back of the envelope math.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

yeah I don't really know how to read a balance sheet. I'm just looking at the plummeting stock price.

I mean, it's still not a good performance lol just the headline is misleading

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HowSway said:

People aren't realizing this is basically why we still hear praise for Zaslav. The previous regime created an insane mess.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

People aren't realizing this is basically why we still hear praise for Zaslav. The previous regime created an insane mess.

Which falls on deaf ears.

It's insane how badly AT&T/Kilar fucked WB up and then walked off leaving this mess for Discovery/Zaslav to clean up... and how many have seemingly forgotten all this.

• Like 3

I’m not sure how anyone could claim that WB is having a good year or the crazy mental gymnastics to say that ‘Zaslav is good, actually’. WB’s stock is currently less than seven dollars. I don’t think the current regime has 5 years on them, we are seeing another kind of merger / selling for parts in a not so distant future. It has been obvious since Max became a thing and HBO isn’t, Zaslav is about hyping up Discovery and reality slop, Max will always be part of whatever Discovery is. HBO, WB, DC and etc., that’s different.

I sincerely wouldn’t be surprised if we see Disney buying DC Comics in our lifetime, and those saying that would be a monopoly are insane. You can’t have a monopoly of superheroes, the comics branches don’t matter in the large scheme of things, it’s about the IP.

• ...wtf 1

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'd like to think that everyone involved with making Batgirl and Coyote vs. Acme is having the last laugh here.

Its What She Deserves GIFs | Tenor

James Gunn was highly involved in making Coyote vs Acme, and I doubt he is laughing at financial struggles WB is having right now.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2024 at 2:54 PM, cannastop said:

I can read a balance sheet, and it does not look good for WB.