Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

WBD is in terrible shape overall. Traditional networks are dying and they lost NBA as well. Zaslav is just focused on tightening the belt to improve short term numbers as that is his incentive at this point. So Joker 2 BO in itself is not make or break at this point. Just like Inside Out 2 and Deadpool BO is not materially moving Disney stock price(Stock is actually down from Inside Out 2 release date despite overall market being up in that time frame). 

I still think some kind of merger/acquisition has to happen which will further enrich Zaslav. Not sure who will jump in. Comcast/Disney or any big tech might not be allowed due to regulatory concerns. Private equity buy out would be death kneel for the company for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

WBD is in terrible shape overall. Traditional networks are dying and they lost NBA as well. Zaslav is just focused on tightening the belt to improve short term numbers as that is his incentive at this point. So Joker 2 BO in itself is not make or break at this point. Just like Inside Out 2 and Deadpool BO is not materially moving Disney stock price(Stock is actually down from Inside Out 2 release date despite overall market being up in that time frame). 

I still think some kind of merger/acquisition has to happen which will further enrich Zaslav. Not sure who will jump in. Comcast/Disney or any big tech might not be allowed due to regulatory concerns. Private equity buy out would be death kneel for the company for sure. 

I hate Zaslev as much as anybody,but I now think he might not be as clever as a lot of us thought. I think he is honestly just messing up . not trying to drive WB stock down as part of some evil scheme.

If nothing else, if this goes on he will face a stockholder revolt.

1 minute ago, robertman2 said:

they gotta give joe dante a blank check to make gremlins 3, only way to save the company

I was literally thinking this when I was rewatching Gremlins 2 two days ago (mainly because I just want to see Joe Dante direct again) but Gremlins 2 was a massive fuck you to the studio that he didn’t even want to make. I doubt he wants to make a 3rd one 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Just like Inside Out 2 and Deadpool BO is not materially moving Disney stock price(Stock is actually down from Inside Out 2 release date despite overall market being up in that time frame).

Do investors not want to make money or what?

44 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

it does not move the needle that much. I posted in Disney thread on what are concerns around that company. Some are similar like dramatic decline of linear/cable tv, but ESPN used to be the cash cow for Disney. But that is also under pressure due to switch to streaming. 

At this point Parks and related business are considered the most important, and that is where most of the Capex is also going. But it will take time to reflect on topline/bottom line. until then Disney stock price would be under pressure.

16 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I was literally thinking this when I was rewatching Gremlins 2 two days ago (mainly because I just want to see Joe Dante direct again) but Gremlins 2 was a massive fuck you to the studio that he didn’t even want to make. I doubt he wants to make a 3rd one 

I am not that sure; a long time has passed and a big paycheck for Dante from WB would be tempting.

let's face it, his post Gremlins career is not that impressive.

But yeah, a new Gremlins is the obvious horror comedy follow up for Warners.

3 hours ago, poweranimals said:

The film division is not the only division Disney has, investors look at the whole company. Even if one deivision of the company is doing well, it can be wiped out by the poor performance by other divisions.

Warners is a good example; it is almost certain that every penny of profit they make from their film division  this year  is going to be eaten by the lossed they have suffered with their streaming/cable division.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

Warner Bros. Discovery’s Carriage Deal With Charter Cools Heat Under David Zaslav’s Seat

The streak was reversed in dramatic fashion Thursday, however, as the company announced an early carriage renewal with Charter Communications, the largest pay-TV operator in the U.S. The deal, which resolves one of several pending renewals for WBD, will see its streaming flagship Max integrated into most of Charter‘s Spectrum cable and broadband systems. Unlike a similar deal between Charter and Disney a year ago, no WBD networks were left without carriage.

The stock surged 10% on the news Thursday — the best performer in the S&P 500, and is up another 10% on Friday on the deal, which offers debt-laden Warner a stable flow of much-needed cash and sets a baseline for other distributor pacts as they come up.

On 9/10/2024 at 9:12 PM, robertman2 said:

they gotta give joe dante a blank check to make gremlins 3, only way to save the company

Problem is that  Gremlins 2, as much as I loved the film, flopped. A long time ago, yes, but still that has to taken into consideration. No guarantee that Gremlins 3 would be a huge hit.

• Like 1