CJohn

The Peanuts Movie | November 6, 2015

95m DOM

This movie doesn't look like it will have much appeal with teens or young children. Peanuts is too old fashioned to really break out. :wacko:

Good Dinosaur is also going to destroy this when it opens.

Edited by Mojoguy

This movie killed itself by squeezing its release in in between spectre and mockingjay definitely a candidate for the Hollywood award for most retarded move of the year

It continues to amuse me how much people overestimate "competition". This is a G-rated kids movie; the audience overlap is minimal. Good Dinosaur is the only real concern.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

And people are underestimating the popularit of Peanuts. The charecters are classic. They have become a part of American CUlture. They don't need to be "cool" and 'hip" in the classic meaning of the word.

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like today's kids have zero familiarity with Peanuts, and whats more I don't even think a lot of 20 something parents do either. Meaning a lot of younger parents probably won't care about introducing them to something they're not even that connected to. The marketing just makes it look soo dated in terms of what sells for today's animated hits. A similar run to Princess and the Frog wouldn't surprise me. Or even one like The Muppets '11. 

Charlie Brown Holiday specials air every year on ABC and they rate relatively good for a repeat so different generations of kids are familiar with Peanuts characters but will they pay money to watch them on the big screen is a different matter though so we will see

Edited by forg
  • Like 3

I repeat: Snoopy. The rest of the characters aside, Snoopy is timeless and has universal appeal. He's like Mickey Mouse without the potential turn-off characteristics of being so blandly cheerful and almost oppressively ubiquitous. Anybody who dislikes Snoopy needs to have his/her head examined.

I do agree that I don't think this movie will get much over $200m at best, Big Hero 6 numbers or Ice Age 3 admissions are likely the absolute best it can hope for (Blue Sky's highest domestic admissions were for IA1 and IA2 - $250-255m in today's value), but if they sell this well and everything lines up right, it could still become Blue Sky's highest-grossing film domestically, and their first $200m grosser, by passing IA3's $196m.

OS is a bigger question mark - I've always been under the impression that Japan loved Snoopy, but I don't know how true that holds in 2015. (And Fox has actually skipped a Japanese theatrical run for most of their animated releases as of late - hopefully that doesn't happen this time.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 3

For Snoopy being such a "timeless" character his presence in pop culture has sure felt non-existent to me for as long as I can remember. The holiday special re-runs really are the only thing keeping the relevancy afloat, as far as I can tell. But I don't think those are as popular with kids today either. Even if they're casually tuning in, are they connecting at all? A lot of little kids will watch what you put on. Whether they like it is a different story.

I'm sensing a total almost identical to another animated movie that opened on the same weekend: 2009's Disney's A Christmas Carol, $137M.

Yeah, I could see that as well. Definitely in the 90-135 range is where I think it will land. 

Also, it's surprising few are bringing up TGD with this movie. That one is obviously going to dominate the Thanksgiving to Xmas stretch among animated films, so that means the late Holiday legs for this could be weaker than usual. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

For Snoopy being such a "timeless" character his presence in pop culture has sure felt non-existent to me for as long as I can remember. The holiday special re-runs really are the only thing keeping the relevancy afloat, as far as I can tell. But I don't think those are as popular with kids today either. Even if they're casually tuning in, are they connecting at all? A lot of little kids will watch what you put on. Whether they like it is a different story.

If you are on Facebook, go check the various emotes available.

You've got Sponge Bob, Pixar, Hello Kitty, Despicable Me...and Snoopy.    Not just once....twice.   (Regular "Snoopy Moods" and a Snoopy for the Fall)

I don't see Bugs Bunny or Mickey Mouse anywhere.

So awareness isn't a problem for Snoopy.   As said above, will people pay to buy a ticket.

Also, it's surprising few are bringing up TGD with this movie. That one is obviously going to dominate the Thanksgiving to Xmas stretch among animated films, so that means the late Holiday legs for this could be weaker than usual.

Oh, TGD will definitely do better, no question, that I agree with you on. I guess maybe I was being overzealous, I guess can see it not fully connecting and getting to something like $135m.

Maybe I'm just not the right person to give a good prediction, because I was born in 1987 and grew up when Snoopy was still everywhere and instantly recognizable by all kids of my age.

Edited by TServo2049