Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

3 hours ago, Talkie said:

Based on the loonie raving about Fury Road's box office here I had assumed that it made much more than it did. 

The internet nerds/hardcore fanboys try to make it sound like it was a big hit, which it wasn't.

It was a critical hit and thoroughly deserved to be one. I look at it the same way I look at Batman Begins, another movie that didn't do all that well considering the marketing, buzz and reviews, but it left an impression and then the sequel became an event.

Maybe the next Mad Max will become a huge hit, but I kinda doubt it. It appeals to a certain audience and it is hard to maximize its appeal across all demographics in every country. Also, some A list actor in the movie has to bite the dust for it to overperform bigtime. That is something I don't wish to happen to any actor whether good or bad.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

It's fascinating how Tron: Legacy outgrossed Mad Max: Fury Road domestically and overseas, and yet it is Miller's opus which most people consider a success. However, it is pretty simple: Fury Road  was the [infinitely] better movie. MM:FR was a vertiginously intense masterpiece that comprised action spectacle, narrative gravitas, and keen observations about gender norms, power structures, and fear. It is exquisitely crafted (and thoroughly memorable) movie mayhem that also has a brain, and its characters are vividly realized, in spite of the fact that they barely say anything. Tron: Legacy is...a cool-looking sequel that you forget two minutes after watching it. The critical response to both films accurately reflects how truly successful they were (beyond a mere assessment of their box office results). I totally believe that, box-office-wise, a sequel for Fury Road would do a The Dark Knight/Austin Powers:The Spy Who Shagged Me on us, while a Tron 3 would be utterly ignored.

As long as this guy is on board:

georgemiller-madmax.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Tron got a ton of help from the holidays. The 56% second weekend drop is telling. In the summer it probably wouldn't have reached 150.

I remember how the internet got behind it after the surprise comic con announcement in 2008 and were comparing it to Avatar. Some even said it would be a bigger hit than Avatar. Disney bought into that hype and marketed this like an event movie and in the process embarassed themselves. But they learnt a lesson and now you can see they are the king of hollywood.

4 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Given the talent involved I am surprised this is not more hyped.

Fans are still suspicious and non-fans wouldn't care much by definition.

But with Villeneuve and Deakins behind the camera yeah, maybe film fans should be should be a lot more excited.

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Fans are still suspicious and non-fans wouldn't care much by definition.

But with Villeneuve and Deakins behind the camera yeah, maybe film fans should be should be a lot more excited.

There is no such thing called film fans. Nowadays only franchise fans and disney fans exist.

20 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Given the talent involved I am surprised this is not more hyped. Hoping the trailer will change that!

Nobody (that is the general audience) gives a shit who Villeneuve is. The original wasn't a hit to begin with. It has become a cult hit since but again, i don't think it has managed to cross over to the general audience the way Alien or Terminator did.

Edited by Elessar

Ford has gotten a boost following TFA and Villeneuve and Gosling will have gotten one as well after their 2016, surely "from the (possibly Academy Award-nominated) director of Arrival" will get more people to turn their heads than "from the director of Sicario and Prisoners" did. Everything depends on what kinda visuals the marketing is gonna show (my guess is, pretty spectacular) and how intriguing it's gonna be regarding plot/character (who the hell knows). Personally I always had a good feeling about this and I still do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eXtacy said:

Given the talent involved I am surprised this is not more hyped. Hoping the trailer will change that!

Not a whole lot to go on yet and frankly Blade Runner is a cult movie, it's not Star Wars. A lot of people didn't even know about Arrival until late this summer.

Thirty years after the events of the first film, a new blade runner, LAPD Officer K (Ryan Gosling), unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what’s left of society into chaos. K’s discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former LAPD blade runner who has been missing for 30 years.

That synopsis is expected, given the punch-up story between Gosling and Ford, but nice to hear it confirmed I guess. Probably the most logical route for them to go given this is effectively a soft reboot.

I hope Ford tries for this movie. He was okay-ish in TFA but I want him to be better.