71 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

was visually very beautiful...but I just didn't understand it. 

D grade from me.

after seeing the grades you people have given it maybe I'll watch it again in the future to try to understand it better, but i don't think that will be any time soon.

One year later and the film is just as incredible on another viewing. I've also noticed a ton of clever details that continue to tie together the story. For example, someone at the party at the beginning of Luisa Rey's story (the 1960s one) mentions falling off of a balcony, and you all know what happens at the start of Timothy Cavendish's ghastly ordeal.

• Like 4

I thought this movie mark a great comeback for the Wachowski (well, not BO-wise unfortunately) It's a very beautiful movie, visually and in all the subtlety, small touches of the scripts/plots. Editing is a standout. Actings are good overall. And a pretty good score.

A-

I thought this movie mark a great comeback for the Wachowski (well, not BO-wise unfortunately) It's a very beautiful movie, visually and in all the subtlety, small touches of the scripts/plots. Editing is a standout. Actings are good overall. And a pretty good score.

A-

Well, "subtle" is not a word I would have come up with, in fact the message is written in rather bold letters. "Clever" is maybe the correct term.

• Like 1

Well, "subtle" is not a word I would have come up with, in fact the message is written in rather bold letters. "Clever" is maybe the correct term.

Well, I agree. Though for me, I used "subtle" cause of the way things are put together, and how small connections here and there that I missed the first time but discovered upon subsequent viewings. That or because I know quite a few people who just don't get the movie or don't view it the way I do, lol.But yeah, "clever", definitely. Edited by Sam
  • Like 1

undoubtedly extremely impressive visuals and general construction, but it's all a bit too silly for me. huge props to the editors; no props to the scripters. i mean, its political philosophy really is ridiculous, not to mention ruthlessly condescending in that all too familiar progressive way, and generally becomes almost unbearable by the end. i found it especially amusing that amongst all its themes of love and interconnectedness was a battle cry for vengeance. nonetheless, it was gripping.

certainly i can admire the wachowskis for just how extraordinarily well this was executed, even if i hate the stupid, simplistic and beyond patronising content.

5.5/10

Edited by lisa

Has any other movie balanced so many different timelines and settings so well, I think not. This movie is fascinating as nothing has been like it before. The acting is superb, it is often visually stunning and thought provoking.

B+

This movie is trying to do so many things at one time. It makes you so confused. Even with substitles it was so torturing that I had to stop the video after 30 minutes. The next day I tried to watch again since my friends said it has good ratings but could not last more than 40 minutes. To me, Cloud Atlas is the worst movie that I have ever seen

This movie is trying to do so many things at one time. It makes you so confused. Even with substitles it was so torturing that I had to stop the video after 30 minutes. The next day I tried to watch again since my friends said it has good ratings but could not last more than 40 minutes. To me, Cloud Atlas is the worst movie that I have ever seen

Welcome to the forum!

Except, you know, you haven't seen it.

• Like 5

I know I have not seen it except for 40 mins. The build up is so sooooo slow that it is a good cure for zzzzzz. Even with subtitles I really do not know what they are talking about. Sometimes I feel that they are speaking in riddles and at times ike reciting a poetry, the English used is difficult to comprehend. No offence intended but just to convey how I felt about the movie. It is that horrible in my opinion of course

I know I have not seen it except for 40 mins. The build up is so sooooo slow that it is a good cure for zzzzzz. Even with subtitles I really do not know what they are talking about. Sometimes I feel that they are speaking in riddles and at times ike reciting a poetry, the English used is difficult to comprehend. No offence intended but just to convey how I felt about the movie. It is that horrible in my opinion of course

You can't possibly judge this film from the first 40 mins. I don't think you even get through the first parts of all the stories in the first 40 mins.
  • Like 1

The first half an hour is a bit difficult to get into, but from that point onwards, the film coasts to the ending. In a sense, it's great simply because you're left wanting the next scene and missing the previous one. Generally, the Neo-Seoul, Halle Berry thriller, Whishaw piano genius were the best for me, because there was believability. The geriatric one was funny, but most of the time I wasn't that enthralled. What I didn't like about the slavery one and the post-Seoul one was simply the fact that it looked like a set. If you cannot get them right, you shouldn't do them at all. Hanks ridiculous performance as the doctor was awful and served just to remind why the segment was so weak. The post-Seoul one wasn't even as good as Game of Thrones and GoT's effects and sets aren't that great in the first place, but the storyline in that series is much more compelling, and thus forgiving. However due to its most connections with Neo-Seoul, it gets saved.

I was looking for a message in the madness, and I have missed it. To me, it seemed like the Wachowskis were making a film about Buddhism in the most convoluted way possible. The multi-casting distracted in certain scenes too. The editing was masterful in some segments and to make it feel like one movie and to mesh all the styles in a very fluid way is an incredible achievement. In that sense, the movie is done superbly, possibly, one of the best bar none. No one has taken such an ambitious project, and yet, I feel the script and the handling of it could have been improved. Maybe I might watch it in the future to reevaluate and seek if any message truly exists, but it is 3 hours long.

I'm just not sure what they wanted to say besides "we're all connected" and "we all affect one another". If that were truly what they wanted to do or say, they shouldn't have made some very obvious connections between casting. In that sense too, a better script where the message is conveyed more subtly might be better than this where the narration of characters explaining their discoveries to the detriment or predictability of the others gets lost with everything going on. There is indeed a great movie here somewhere, this though isn't it.