Raiders of the Lost Ark

49 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Raiders of the Lost Ark

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I know this is going to sound cliche, but I don't know how else to describe it.  Seeing it on the big screen was magic.  For a guy in his 40's who didn't start going to the theater regularly until about the age of 12 (1984) I didn't see a lot of the classics on the biog screen.  In fact,  I didn't really see any of my faves on the big screen.  Return of the Jedi and Temple of Doom were the first of the series that I saw and not until Jaws 3 did I see JAWS on big screen....so this is a big deal to me.

Not cliche in the least and it is a big deal.  I started going to movies around the same age, but being a couple of years older, I was lucky enough to see Raiders in the theater and it's the one that started my love of seeing movies in a theater. 

I think it's awesome that it still has that big of an impact on you even though you weren't technically reliving a childhood memory.  :)

• Like 2

It has great set pieces, fantastic action, fabulous script and a great score. Harrison Ford was born to play this role. He is simply fantastic as Indiana Jones. Karen Allen is superb. John Rhys-Davies and Denholm Elliot turn in fanatstic supporting performaces. Spielberg gets the biggest shout for delivering such a masterpiece. Spielberg proved with this movie that there would be never an equal to him and amazingly after 32 years, that is still just as true as it was in 1981. From the very first scene beginning with the temple entry and outrunning the boulder, the movie gets hold of the audience and never lets go. This movie has umpteen iconic sequences and lines. The action scenes on the truck is stunning and never gets old. I consider this the best movie ever. The collboration of the two biggest innvoators/trend setters of Hollywood in Lucas and Spielberg not only defied all expecatations but exceeded them by delivering a masterpiece for the ages A++

Thank You for being the only person to mention Karen Allen! As she was really a great pick for this perfect movie!

1 or 2 very good set pieces, cast is perfect and it never slows down, but I expected a lot more given its god status. 

Not as funny as I thought it would be and very childish at times (Cairo sequence anyone?), Raiders is yet another blockbuster that don't stand the test of time, and if it wasn't part of Spielberg filmography, I would have never see it again. 55/100

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

For some unknown reason, I just can't get on board with "dumb fun" movies released before the 90s. I tried a bunch of them: SW OT, Superman, Ghostbusters, Willy Wonka, Airplane, etc. and now this. None of them did anything for me.

Edited by Goffe

I just can't enjoy classic "dumb fun" films that were released before the 90s, for some unknown reason. I tried SW OT, Superman, Ghostbusters, Willy Wonka, Airplane, etc. and now this, none of them did nothing for me.

*feels like james*

Crystal Skull is better

:ph34r: 

Who in the fuck considers Raiders a "dumb fun" film??!!  

Calling something dumb fun is half a step above calling something your guilty pleasure.  Meaning it has no real value in terms of anything really, but you still enjoyed it.

Who in the fuck considers Raiders a "dumb fun" film??!!

Calling something dumb fun is half a step above calling something your guilty pleasure. Meaning it has no real value in terms of anything really, but you still enjoyed it.

poor choice of word, I meant classic films which the primary objective is to entertain, the well received blockbusters of the past.

I consider Raiders dumb, silly fun, but that's why I like it so much. It's over the top and ridiculous and none of it makes any actual sense, but it's an absolute blast and it's meticulously well-made.