baumer

Wreck it Ralph

46 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Wreck-It Ralph is a film I was expecting to love but it turned out to be a different kind of love. I was expecting to love Ralph for its video game references (which I did) but I loved the film because it had a heart of gold. The video game references made my little geeky heart explode into Mario Coins. The story was another thing I was surprised about. I thought the film would have more game worlds instead of just focusing on Sugar Rush. All in all I loved everything about this movie, I expect to see it again because I just loved it. A+

• Like 2

Everything about this just made me happy.

The worlds created in Wreck-It Ralph are incredibly conceptualized. One does not simply underestimate Disney's attention to detail. Of course, the video game references were awesome. It's easily one of the best uses of pop culture references in recent memory. Surprisingly, there was a well handled story, even if it was pretty light. The sub-plot with King Candy felt kind of suddenly handled, but I'm glad that Disney wanted to keep things interesting. Loved the four lead characters, too. Jack McBrayer needs more movie roles.

So, It's a lot better than Brave, and a bit better than Frankenweenie.

B+/A-

Wreck it Ralph is the story of an arcade game character, Wreck it Ralph (John C Reilly) who dreams of not just being the villain in the game Fix it Felix (Jack McBrayer) In order to do that he has to get a medal. On his quest to seek a medal he ends up meeting a soldier who has the most tragic backstory ever, Calthoun (Jane Lynch) and a little girl, Vanellope (Sarah Silverman) who dreams of racing but is held back by her glitches. As you can tell by the synopsis there is a lot of things going on to this movie. That is one of the beauties of it. It starts off so simple, so simple that Wreck it Ralph actually achieves his goal but that only opens up a whole new can of worms. Yet what separates the growing plot to other films is that it is inside the characters DNA for a whole new can of worms to be opened. Early on, when Ralph tries to be a hero, he ends up ruining everything, like Felix's 30th anniversary party and cake. So when Ralph actually did get his medal, it was only logical that there would be a catch.I also actually liked the Vanellope subplot. I wasn't expecting to coming in since her character seemed pretty annoying but she actually held the key to the movie. She was only annoying when she first met Ralph but as Ralph and the audience learn more about her, she is actually a sympathetic character. She is a loner, like Ralph because she is glitchy. No one can remember why she is that way but they know that if she races, then the game will meet it's end. Since her story carries the emotional meat of the story, it was important that the character be likable and the movie achieved that and then some, I also really liked the moral of the story. That you had to accept yourself, flaws and all. No matter if you were born to be a bad guy or had glitches, because you never know when those flaws could end up being your strengths.I give it an A

• Like 3

I kind of loved it. Only a handful of elements- the two pop songs and the slightly contrived leadup to the climax- felt like standard 21st century 'Disney' quality. This is a classic on a near-Pixar level and probably the best in-house production since the 90s Renaissance.

The game world is ridiculously realized and detailed. The first pan of Game Central Station is jaw-dropping. But it never overwhelms the story or distracts from Ralph and Venellope's character development, rather it sets up the story and various subplots organically and convincingly. I truly cared about Ralph and even though I knew that they weren't going to let him die in the Mentos/Coke eruption (I loved typing that) but I was still on the edge of my seat because they brought the character to a point where that felt like something he would really do.

Also, it's a hell of a lot of fun. There's so much going on in every shot and it's all pretty and it all has a purpose. I found myself still laughing at jokes told seconds ago when they would suddenly throw more new good jokes on me.

Easily the best animated film of the year and a Blu-Ray buy for sure. Bring on the sequel!

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

I kind of loved it. Only a handful of elements- the two pop songs and the slightly contrived leadup to the climax- felt like standard 21st century 'Disney' quality. This is a classic on a near-Pixar level and probably the best in-house production since the 90s Renaissance.

The game world is ridiculously realized and detailed. The first pan of Game Central Station is jaw-dropping. But it never overwhelms the story or distracts from Ralph and Venellope's character development, rather it sets up the story and various subplots organically and convincingly. I truly cared about Ralph and even though I knew that they weren't going to let him die in the Mentos/Coke eruption (I loved typing that) but I was still on the edge of my seat because they brought the character to a point where that felt like something he would really do.

Also, it's a hell of a lot of fun. There's so much going on in every shot and it's all pretty and it all has a purpose. I found myself still laughing at jokes told seconds ago when they would suddenly throw more new good jokes on me.

Easily the best animated film of the year and a Blu-Ray buy for sure. Bring on the sequel!

When he did the bad guy oath as he was falling, that hit me emotionally way harder than it probably should have.

Konami Code and MGS references had me in stitches.

I saw this Saturday night and I was very impressed.

Great story and really didn't go where I thought with the Venellope character and that was a good thing. Even take away all the game references, the movie has a lot going for it. Pretty emotional and has heart.

Yes I love the Konami code reference as well as many, many other touches.

A-

• Like 1

Wow, just WOW! Amazing film!!! I loved every aspect of it, so much attention to detail, the casting is PERFECT! The music, OMG, when they were fighting the bugs in Hero's Duty, that music was amazing, I did not want it to end, honestly (anyone know what melody was that?) Also the Station and Sugar Rush were beautifully crafted....I don't have enough words to say how much I enjoyed this movie. My only complaint is: the fight scene in Hero's Duty should have been a little longer :P, as I said, I did not want it to end. Anyway, I really hope this wins Best Animation at the Oscars, and I'll be seeing it again in one week. :D I saw it in 2D, but I believe the 3D would be very good for this. My grade is 9.5/10 :D

Wreck it Ralph12:30PMAbout 50% full (or 50% empty??? ;))Trailers:Dino Time 3D: Well I first heard of this a couple weeks ago when I saw a TV spot. The animation looks meh, when the date came up people were going "its coming out soon?" One giggle in the entire trailer!The Croods: Looks really good. Laughs. I was going "Pebbles Flintstone!"Despicable Me 2 (New trailer): Fantastic reaction. Tons of laughs.Smurfs 2: I don't think I've ever seen a traier for a kids film at a kids film that was met with groans instead of laughs. Nobody seemed intrested.Oz: Great and Powerful: Audience really enjoyed this.The Hobbit: Quite a few "I got to see this"Monsters 3D: At first most people thought this was Monsters U.Movie: Very very fun. Now while most people will like this-not everyone will quite get some parts. Some funny parts like The Konami Code, Dig Dug, Pac Man and other video game refrences were comedy gold. Also quite sweet at times. And I have that dang Sugar Rush song in my head! Animation was very clear and quite well done. I had more thought out earlier for my review, but yeah tied with Brave as the best animated film of the year.A+

Edited by Impact
  • Like 1

I loved all the imagination that went into the environment designs and character animation, and Ralph makes for a sympathetic protagonist with a terrifically written and developed relationship with Vanellope (who, as voiced by Sarah Silverman, was far more tolerable than I feared). The finale is loaded with a variety of dazzling spectacle and I'm tempted to say it's one of the best produced Disney climaxes of all time.

For all the things this movie does right, though, there are some significant problems that keep me from giving it an A grade. The plot itself has a rather flimsy setup which made it difficult for me to be fully engaged in Ralph's adventures initially, and I found the bathroom humor laid on too thick for my tastes by the end. I also wish they could've figured out a way to better utilize the Hero's Duty environment because it was one of the most beautifully realized sequences in the film and we only really got to experience it for like five minutes. The pop interludes (Shut Up and Drive? In a family movie?) were kind of a distraction too.

B+

Edited by tribefan695