Tower

Weekend estimates (11-02/04-12)(starting pg 15)

If Unstoppable can get nearly 3,300 theaters then why not Flight?If Flight had gotten that many theaters, it would've flew past 110 m instead of struggled to get 80 m.I don't see what they did as some genius strategy if it results in a smaller box office gross.

• Founder / Operator

If Unstoppable can get nearly 3,300 theaters then why not Flight?

If Flight had gotten that many theaters, it would've flew past 110 m instead of struggled to get 80 m.

I don't see what they did as some genius strategy if it results in a smaller box office gross.

I think a big factor in that is cost. Flight is already on track to become way more profitable than Unstoppable which cost $100 million just to produce (not counting marketing). Flight cost less than one-third of that (excluding marketing again). Plus Paramount knew that this film would likely play better through the holidays with adult demo, R-rated appeal. Its meant to be more of a cross country runner than a sprinter.

And maybe just as importantly, Unstoppable didn't face a highly anticipated James Bond film in its second week. Paramount is better off expanding Flight after opening weekend rather than trying to get a rush out to see it (which could have backfired easily with Ralph tracking so well).

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

If Unstoppable can get nearly 3,300 theaters then why not Flight?If Flight had gotten that many theaters, it would've flew past 110 m instead of struggled to get 80 m.I don't see what they did as some genius strategy if it results in a smaller box office gross.

Par. sucks this time. That's why.

I think a big factor in that is cost. Flight is already on track to become way more profitable than Unstoppable which cost $100 million just to

produce (not counting marketing). Flight cost less than one-third of that (excluding marketing again). Plus Paramount knew that this film would likely play better through the holidays with adult demo, R-rated appeal. Its meant to be more of a cross country runner than a sprinter.

And maybe just as importantly, Unstoppable didn't face a highly anticipated James Bond film in its second week. Paramount is better off expanding Flight after opening weekend rather

than trying to get a rush out to see it (which could have backfired easily with Ralph tracking so well).

Expand it the same weekend the Bond film opens?

I think a big factor in that is cost. Flight is already on track to become way more profitable than Unstoppable which cost $100 million just to produce (not counting marketing). Flight cost less than one-third of that (excluding marketing again). Plus Paramount knew that this film would likely play better through the holidays with adult demo, R-rated appeal. Its meant to be more of a cross country runner than a sprinter.

And maybe just as importantly, Unstoppable didn't face a highly anticipated James Bond film in its second week. Paramount is better off expanding Flight after opening weekend rather than trying to get a rush out to see it (which could have backfired easily with Ralph tracking so well).

An interesting take on things but Skyfall is going to kill much of Flight's momentum despite any expansion in theaters.

I don't think it counters Skyfall's programming enough to avoid taking a hit.

and Flight is not a small indie movie or an obscure Oscar contender. They could've went with a wider release and made more money ultimately.

Edited by grey ghost

CS:

Ralph "A"

Tangled "A+"

RT:

Ralph 84%

Tangled 90%

MC:

Ralph 72 (current)

Tangled 71

BO:

Ralph ? + ?

Tangled 200M DOM + 390M OS

I doubt Ralph can get Tangled legs. And it wont come close to Tangled OS number.

This difference is irrelevant, they're practically the same.