A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Except for the very much valid whitewashing controversy?

i mean nobody had problem witht that in the end, and it didn affect the movie ( i am not disagree with you though)

Edited by john2000

1 hour ago, RaidensSword said:

I agree about the portrayal but I don't see how he can be a preachy character. All the marvel origin movies follow a simple formula, it's just going to be him using his powers for the first time and defeating a bad guy

Maybe not preachy in the character, in the message/theme. The origin story may be a simple formula, but all movies, including MCU movies, that worth their salt carry some message behind the story.

I do think Disney/Marvel will be careful not to be seen as preachy or condescending.

However, if Disney has the attitude some posters here display, that "your reactions are trivial/stupid/silly/unjustified/nationalistic", that "Marvel know what they are doing", "you should accept what we choose to portray as our creative team see fit", rather than listening empathically to what Chinese netizens say, then they are going to lose the potential biggest chunk of audience for this movie. But I believe Disney will do better than this attitude. The Mulan remake seems to be a movie that Chinese audience will prefer than the original Mulan, because they actually took Chinese netizens's feedback seriously.

Edited by justvision
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, justvision said:

Maybe not preachy in the character, in the message/theme. The origin story may be a simple formula, but all movies, including MCU movies, that worth their salt carry some message behind the story.

I do think Disney/Marvel will be careful not to be seen as preachy or condescending.

However, if Disney has the attitude some posters here display, that "your reactions are trivial/stupid/silly/unjustified/nationalistic", that "Marvel know what they are doing", "you should accept what we choose to portray as our creative team see fit", rather than listening empathically to what Chinese netizens say. then they are going to lose a potential biggest chunk of audience of this movie. But I believe Disney will do better than this attitude. The Mulan remake seems to be a movie that Chinese audience will prefer than the original Mulan, because they actually took Chinese netizens's feedback seriously.

Don’t misconstrue what we’re saying. Of course Disney is going to be respectful and do their best to give the Chinese audience something they want.

What they’re not going to do is give in to online demands like replacing Tony Leung or “criticism” that Awkwafina isn’t Chinese enough or Simu Liu is “ugly and has small eyes”.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, justvision said:

However, if Disney has the attitude some posters here display, that "your reactions are trivial/stupid/silly/unjustified/nationalistic", that "Marvel know what they are doing", "you should accept what we choose to portray as our creative team see fit", rather than listening empathically to what Chinese netizens say, then they are going to lose the potential biggest chunk of audience for this movie. But I believe Disney will do better than this attitude. The Mulan remake seems to be a movie that Chinese audience will prefer than the original Mulan, because they actually took Chinese netizens's feedback seriously.

of course they will do that, my point wasnt that people shouldnt complain, my point was that some of the comments again some of the comments, seems to be just nitckpicking and something that will not affect the quality for the movie

ps what  @VenomXXR said

Edited by john2000

3 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Don’t misconstrue what we’re saying. Of course marvel is going to be respectful and do their best to give the Chinese audience something they want.

What they’re not going to do is give in to online demands like replacing Tony Leung or “criticism” that Awkwafina isn’t Chinese enough or Simu Liu is “ugly and has small eyes”.

marvel makes the movie not disney

Edited by john2000
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, justvision said:

I am a realist, or at best cautious optimist. It is a fact that Disney can't bypass CCP's censorship authority to get Shang-Chi released in China. And Disney will make sure that Shang-Chi would not be seen as intrusive, preachy or racist.

Also my take is Tony Leung's character Manchuria would have major subversion. I can envisage him to be like Severus Snape in HP.

And the most important issue in my view is that they should not portray Shang-Chi, a Western country born Chinese to be a superior, condescending, preachy character over those native Chinese characters.

Did you not watch Black Panther? They will make a good movie. And marvel handles these types of character very well.. Just put a little trust in MCU. You will be rewarded and Chinese people will also be happy

25 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Except for the very much valid whitewashing controversy?

Yes but now nobody complains. About that whitewashing thing I heard that Disney couldn't make Tibetian character and China wouldn't have allowed that part that's why Marvel had to cast Tilda .

8 minutes ago, john2000 said:

marvel makes the movie not disney

It is not wrong to say Disney here and not Marvel. Yes Marvel Studio makes the movie, but Kevin has 2 bosses to answer to, and Disney is the one that give the budget and ultimately responsible for the bottom line. That is why Disney as the parent company will pay more attention to this movie potential biggest market than the creative team at Marvel. You read how M&M had to pitch their Endgame scripts to Kevin again and again. MCU is a corporate product, not an auteur's project. Disney can help Marvel by gathering feedback and negotiation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Nero said:

Did you not watch Black Panther? They will make a good movie. And marvel handles these types of character very well.. Just put a little trust in MCU. You will be rewarded and Chinese people will also be happy

Didn't you read that I say Disney can do better what some posters here said?

8 minutes ago, justvision said:

Didn't you read that I say Disney can do better what some posters here said?

Yeah but you are thinking way too extremely negative things. Cheer up buddy Marvel will do it the justice it deserves

44 minutes ago, Nero said:

Yeah but you are thinking way too extremely negative things. Cheer up buddy Marvel will do it the justice it deserves

Or because you are too optimistic and over-confident on Marvel? I have said here repeatedly that so far Disney/Marvel has done good job, but complacency and fanboyism is not what I like to see. And I don't need cheering up, Disney earning has nothing to do with me.

• Like 1

Lol

not surprised by sang chi reaction. People outside Asia have no idea how big is Asia's obsession with beauty standard and outside look. Also very different beauty standard from others.

It will be interesting how it will turn out. 

I can see it doing so so in EU(considerinf how they view asians ans treat them) and Asia minus china(or related country) won't go crazy on this because eventually it's china hero with china culture.nothing to do with other asian countries. It's just another marvel. 

So it's all about china and US.

7 hours ago, XO21 said:

I guess only Fan Bingbing is needed to add fuel into the fire :redcapes:

She is disgusting. Fact is most Chinese now hate her.

What puzzles me is that 355 didnt start filming until Fan was relesed from prison. It's like that film couldnot live without her. I bet 355 will bomb in spectacale.

Edited by firedeep

13 minutes ago, firedeep said:

She is disgusting. Fact is most Chinese now hate her.

What puzzles me is that 355 didnt start filming until Fan was relesed from prison. It's like that film couldnot live without her. I bet 355 will bomb in spectacale.

Exactly. Haha. Some of the posters here or even Hollywood executives need to have some updates on Chinese stars...

The hollywood exes know some big names such as Fan Bing Bing but have zero awareness that she is infamous and her bad rep.

Similarly, i recall reading a couple of articles last year on The Foreigner starring Jackie Chan where the articles were saying the film will do very well in Hong Kong as Jackie is a huge star. They have 0 idea that movie-goers and cinema-chains have boycott Jackie Chan films for the last 10years-or-so and his films are released in limited theatres with extremely low attendance in Hong Kong.