A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

17 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

However much I believe 200m will happen. I wouldn't say it's the floor necessarily. Especially with China rejecting Hollywood action movies as of late. If Infinity War is not *quite* up to scratch for China's liking, then I could see it narrowly missing $200m. Highly unlikely, but not impossible. I think over 300 is more likely than under 200, but both are possible

I do not think that China is rejecting Hollywood. They are rejecting BAD films from Hollywood. What films have failed recently? Pacific Rim 2. USA is rejecting it too. It is not a Chinese thing, but everywhere.

What else? Star Wars? They had already shown with Rogue One that they are not interested on that franchise. But it does not imply that everything is being rejected.

Jumanji has done a decent amount. Black Panther is making the average for a SH film not called Avengers. And Tomb Raider is heading to make more than in USA.

Is it impossible to make under $200m? Nothing is impossible in BO. I did not say it is locked. But I think IW would need to be a disastrous film in order to that could happen. $300m could be a stretch, though. I think that the main favorite to do that amount this year is Jurassic World 2, not IW.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bangbingchan said:

Why so many people expect to release in April.AoU release on May 12.it's not So suprised IW release on May 11.

For the day and date release strategy Disney seems to be applying to IW, releasing it simultaneously worldwide in April. That's why people could expect same date for China too, and could feel disappointed for not happening. 

9 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

The 2 box office gems of last year's pre March season doesn't exactly scream quality action cinema

Maybe they are improving their tastes :) Some months later, TF5 dropped relative to TF4. And F8 was able to increase relative to F7.

Nothing is locked, but I would not bet against IW making under $200m, basically because solo MCU films continue to make SISTEMATICALLY the same amount than 3 years ago. If IW drops substantially it would mean that the film is atrocious and it would drop everywhere, not just in China.

Nobody talk about RP1 releasing this week?After advanced screen,RP1 have excellent score on Douban 9.1 so far.

5abbbd2bdf0f1.jpgit's the best score for Hollywood live action film since Interstellar(9.2 on Douban)There will be more preview for GA tomorrow night.Wait for the Maoyan Audience score.Hope RP1 is a surprise this spring

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

For the day and date release strategy Disney seems to be applying to IW, releasing it simultaneously worldwide in April. That's why people could expect same date for China too, and could feel disappointed for not happening. 

it's China.Black Panther is 3 weeks later.May 4 is at best case.May 11 is not very suprised

1 hour ago, bangbingchan said:

Nobody talk about RP1 releasing this week?After advanced screen,RP1 have excellent score on Douban 9.1 so far.

5abbbd2bdf0f1.jpgit's the best score for Hollywood live action film since Interstellar.There will be more preview for GA tomorrow night.Wait for the Maoyan Audience score.Hope RP1 is a surprise this spring

Presales are seriously low. Like 3 mill yuan with 22 hours to go.

Its going to need amazing legs not to flop

33 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Presales are seriously low. Like 3 mill yuan with 22 hours to go.

Its going to need amazing legs not to flop

5abbdae658353.jpgpresale is 6.4M.A bit behind Tomb Raider.It's okay presale.Not too BAD.Maoyan score is the key.Douban  score is excellent.

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 2