A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

On 12/30/2015 at 2:28 AM, movieboner said:

All the dumb Star Wars fanboys are begging China to gross $600 million, so their precious film can destroy Avatar worldwide. The weed is strong in them.

Another question to ask is why would China's government let a foreign film dominate their film market, the domestic film industry is improving with domestic hits defeating their Hollywood rivals. The market is growing faster than expected which exceeded $6.5 billion this year, but with domestic films taking a larger share of the market. They would rather have their domestic films get rich, so one day a Chinese film company can rival Disney worldwide.

On 12/30/2015 at 2:38 AM, KP1025 said:

Is this any different from the Avatar fans thinking the sequel will do $600-800 million, or that it will be allowed to run for 2 months instead of 1 like the original? 

What? Yes it is. Very Different. Star Wars grossing 600m means making 200m (50%) more than the current record when most present facts/data indicate a 250m$ high-peak unless it absolutely breaks out. On the other hand Avatar 2 making 600-800m on releasing in Dec 2017 (earliest it may get released) means it grossing one third of what the original Avatar would adjust to by then. I can simply not fathom why one would think its unrealistic, even if he thinks its not locked.

3 hours ago, #ED2-D2 said:

It's unrealistic given how foreign films are only allowed to be played for 30 days and it starts losing screens on the 2nd weekend.

Chinese film industry is booming, a lot of local movies are competing with Hollywood movies.

And we don't have the 2-week deal like North America.

Vor 4 Minuten

New Chinese language poster for Zootopia from Disney; China release date TBD.

CXvr2HxUsAAbQ0M.jpg

SOLACE starring Anthony Hopkins & Colin Farrell will open in China on Thursday, January 14.

CXvqSDUUQAAeCGJ.jpg

Edited by terrestrial

6 hours ago, Infernus said:

What? Yes it is. Very Different. Star Wars grossing 600m means making 200m (50%) more than the current record when most present facts/data indicate a 250m$ high-peak unless it absolutely breaks out. On the other hand Avatar 2 making 600-800m on releasing in Dec 2017 (earliest it may get released) means it grossing one third of what the original Avatar would adjust to by then. I can simply not fathom why one would think its unrealistic, even if he thinks its not locked.

Read my follow up post. I didn't say the number is unrealistic (and in fact, I think that number is very likely). I was suggesting that to make the point that the Chinese government would not allow Star Wars to dominate the market because it is a Hollywood film would also mean that Avatar 2 would be subjected to the same rules. That means no exceptions or special favors when it comes to its release like the original Avatar had with its 2 month run time and less competition from local films. 

• Like 1

The question is not if or not the Chinese government would allow Star Wars to dominate the market, the question is, could Star Wars dominate the market...

The Force here is really not that strong. The target for TFA is always securing a spot in 2016 top 15, which requires at least 1.2B.

4 hours ago, KP1025 said:

H

Read my follow up post. I didn't say the number is unrealistic (and in fact, I think that number is very likely). I was suggesting that to make the point that the Chinese government would not allow Star Wars to dominate the market because it is a Hollywood film would also mean that Avatar 2 would be subjected to the same rules. That means no exceptions or special favors when it comes to its release like the original Avatar had with its 2 month run time and less competition from local films. 

Hmm. Well I do agree with that. What I mainly wanted to say was that Avatar making 600-800m is defintely realistic and quite likely too (and a 100 times more so than SW making 600m) and since you think the same I guess we are in the same boat.

2 hours ago, firedeep said:

Jesus, Mr Six looks to reach 1B by next Sunday alone, at this rate, even 1.5B is possible. it's doing too much ... Such an overrated movie.

DC performance is disappointing, compared with its quality. it should have been a 1B+ grosser, at least.

I watched the movie a couple of nights ago.. I found it really good. It's more deserving of grossing that amount than most local movies that manage to do that in my opinion. A lot of them are overhyped lowbrow comedy films with questionable quality or just bland films period. 

2 hours ago, firedeep said:

DC performance is disappointing, compared with its quality. it should have been a 1B+ grosser, at least.

Why is Detective Chinatown not doing that well?....I am confused here. Skiptrace moved out of Dec 24th, Ip Man 3 moved out of Dec 31st, the competition has been reduced dramatically. Mr Six is tough, but it already ran for a week. It should be doing better....

I think it has 1 full week to gross, don't think Sherlock(which is essentially a TV show) will pose much of a threat, it will have until Jan 9th and we will see how SW:TFA performs.

PS: It opens in Singapore only in January, is it as good as Lost in Thailand?

Edited by TigerPaw

3 hours ago, firedeep said:

The question is not if or not the Chinese government would allow Star Wars to dominate the market, the question is, could Star Wars dominate the market...

The Force here is really not that strong. The target for TFA is always securing a spot in 2016 top 15, which requires at least 1.2B.

I like that sentence! the force here is not really that strong:P

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2