A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

13 minutes ago, sgchn40 said:

Given that SW7 worldwide gross is now 1.733 billion, with additional $150m from North America and $60m from China, can it beat Titanic 2.187 billon worldwide? It seems like even this is a question mark now...

mope

Dom 950m

OS 1000m

C    115m

2065m maybe 2100m

38 minutes ago, sgchn40 said:

Given that SW7 worldwide gross is now 1.733 billion, with additional $150m from North America and $60m from China, can it beat Titanic 2.187 billon worldwide? It seems like even this is a question mark now...

It's now pretty much impossible to beat Titanic WW.

I sense there is a lot of happiness here with the somewhat under performing of Star Wars.  Is that what happens when something is so big somewhere else but not here?  Do people just like to see the mighty fall?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

Is it forbidden to be happy about Titanic keeping the #2 spot ?

Not at all.  

I love Titanic as well.  So is that why some here are pulling for SW to come in softly in China?

1 hour ago, No Prisoners said:

There are new openers on thu, Fri and sat.  2 of them have several million in pre-sales already. This could get ugly. 

Maoyan shows 15% ST on friday. 10% sat. So sat will probably rise 15%. 

If pre-sales for tomorrow are right and it drops 20%, I think it goes like this. 

48m M 

40m T 

32m W 

26m T 

34m F 

55m S 

40m Su

622m  66% drop the following week and it's just 100m more before KFP3 opens. 90% drop that week.

Would be close to T5 in yuan but lose in dollars due to XR. $110-115m

This went from ugly last Thursday to looking good to Fugly.

such is life

Based on the daily trends and dips in pre-sales and Box Office... and lack of powerful walk-up sales... I think that 120m would be the hurdle to cross. WOM is killing it, the presales on Friday midnight last week made us believe 150m is possible, but almost nothing positive on Weibo and Box Office Tieba, and people seemed more hype about the Mermaid which just released a trailer and new posters a few days back than purchasing tickets for Star Wars.

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

titanic might need to thank China for rescue it......to keep its 2nd all time position WW ~ 

Will be interesting to see how Rogue One plays out, some are saying like it is Iron Man 3 after Avengers. Rogue One would probably earn at least 150m in China, improvement over Ep7 and I bet Disney will try their best to secure a good release date with Donnie and Jiang Wen in it. But worldwide it may not reach Ep7's level as it is a spinoff. It will be a real test to Disney and Lucasfilms, can the Star Wars brand still break records with a spinoff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Will be interesting to see how Rogue One plays out, some are saying like it is Iron Man 3 after Avengers. Rogue One would probably earn at least 150m in China, improvement over Ep7 and I bet Disney will try their best to secure a good release date with Donnie and Jiang Wen in it. But worldwide it may not reach Ep7's level as it is a spinoff. It will be a real test to Disney and Lucasfilms, can the Star Wars brand still break records with a spinoff.

'may'? Really? It will be lucky to make two thirds of Ep7. It will likely break all records pertaining to spinoffs though. Fantastic beasts will beat it in some countries and will be atleast second-all-time in the others so its gonna be a really good year for spinoffs.

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

I sense there is a lot of happiness here with the somewhat under performing of Star Wars.  Is that what happens when something is so big somewhere else but not here?  Do people just like to see the mighty fall?

To be honest I'm deriving a smidge of satisfaction at being proved right that TFA would have difficulty in finding a large audience here after being told by non-Chinese that I was off base and TFA will outperform FF7 easily. Because it's Star Wars. It's such a strange feeling as I grew up with Star Wars and I like TFA.  Not to mention it's small time to think that way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Infernus said:

'may'? Really? It will be lucky to make two thirds of Ep7. It will likely break all records pertaining to spinoffs though. Fantastic beats will beat it in some countries and will be atleast second-all-time in the others so its gonna be a really good year for spinoffs.

Just being positive, I mean if Word-of-mouth is good, it may do well.. but obviously not as good as Ep7 in terms fo overall numbers. I mean while people uninitiated may not watch Ep7, they might watch the spinoff. Furthermore the economy may be doing better next year, hence exchange rates against the USD may be higher since the Fed Rate Hike was announced Dec 16 coinciding with TFA release this year... haha. 
Lastly, not forgetting that TFA did not do particularly well in Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Vetnam and Taiwan due to Ip Man 3's opening just one week after its opening, now that Donnie Yen(who plays the role of Ip Man himself) is on board for Rogue One, things may be different. He is a huge draw in Asia.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Just being positive, I mean if Word-of-mouth is good, it may do well.. but obviously not as good as Ep7 in terms fo overall numbers. I mean while people uninitiated may not watch Ep7, they might watch the spinoff. Furthermore the economy may be doing better next year, hence exchange rates against the USD may be higher since the Fed Rate Hike was announced Dec 16 coinciding with TFA release this year... haha. 
Lastly, not forgetting that TFA did not do particularly well in Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Vetnam and Taiwan due to Ip Man 3's opening just one week after its opening, now that Donnie Yen(who plays the role of Ip Man himself) is on board for Rogue One, things may be different. He is a huge draw in Asia.

I realize all that but its difficult, for me atleast, to imagine more than 1.5B$ for Rogue One WW.

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

I did not express it here but I am a little happy at it under-performing here too. Nothing against the movie itself but its really amazing to see year after year pass and Titanic still in the top 2 WW. Also that saved me 30,000 points in the Winter Game (there was a question to the line of - 'Will SW earn more in US or China during the duration of its China run' and I answered US.), so that also may have something to do with it :P 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Infernus said:

I realize all that but its difficult, for me atleast, to imagine more than 1.5B$ for Rogue One WW.

I know its a little early, but would you say at least $1B USD worldwide is locked? B)

Honestly I feel that changing the title frm Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One to "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" is a bad move, overseas box office at least $200m damage due to title change, lol