A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

Christopher Nolan movies are crazily popular there.

If Dark Knight was shown in China, TDKR in 2012 would have done so much better in China.

If Dark Knight trilogy come later, MCU will have Nolan’s permission to die.:ohmygod:

• Like 1

Sunday estimates 

Passengers - 14.5m/239m

Arrival - 13.9m/51.2m

Some Like It Hot - 12.6m/571m

Rogue One - 7.3m/425m

Railroad Tigers - 3.4m/671m

Great Wall - 2.5m/1,148m

Kubo - 1.45m/36.35m

Hacksaw Ridge - 1.25m/414m 

Olive was ill in hospital. May the force be with him.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Sunday estimates 

Passengers - 14.5m/239m

Arrival - 13.9m/51.2m

Some Like It Hot - 12.6m/571m

Rogue One - 7.3m/425m

Railroad Tigers - 3.4m/671m

Great Wall - 2.5m/1,148m

Kubo - 1.45m/36.35m

Hacksaw Ridge - 1.25m/414m 

Olive was ill in hospital. May the force be with him.

Why is Maoyan's box office for the Da Wei Bear so much higehr tjan Rogue One but it is not above R1 here? 

Ah, May the force be with him. Hope all is fine.

3 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

What they are saying is this...

Bandwagon effect for SW7 happened because there was news everywhere that it was breaking box office records in US, and opened well everywhere. 
+ curiousity factor and huge marketing in China. So it opened extremely well in China in its first weekend.

But as you know it was so bad, people were turned off and it affected Rogue One badly.

So.. the question now is.. for SW8, is there this contagion effect? Carrie Fisher's death allowing SW8 to break box office record elsewhere and Chinese have the cruiously factor and start supporting it? Just like how they jumped on the bandwagon for Paul Walker's F7.

This is gonna be a morbid discussion but I think part of why people jumped on the bandwagon there is because of how tragic Paul's death was. He was young and killed in a horrible accident. That's why a lot of people felt connected even though they had no idea who he was. It was the tragedy of it all.

• Like 1

Only on this thread do I keep hearing that ROGUE 1 was "so bad."

I didn't realize that China was the "ultimate" determiner of quality film making.  I guess that's why incredible works of art like Transformers and the Fast and Furious movies are so HUGE in China.  

I have NOTHING against the Chinese box office or GA, but pleeeaaaase stop acting like poor performance at the China box office is directly related to the quality of the film.  That's a joke!

Edited by Planodisney
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Planodisney said:

I didn't realize that China was the "ultimate" determiner of quality film making.  I guess that's why incredible works of art like Transformers and the Fast and Furious movies are so HUGE in China.  

I have NOTHING against the Chinese box office or GA, but pleeeaaaase stop acting like poor performance at the China box office is directly related to the quality of the film.  That's a joke!

Don't americans do absolutely the same, for decades now......

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, James said:

In the interest of a club I just made, what do you guys expect for Pirates of the Caribbean 5? The 4th one made 70m back in 2011. 

I would go with 800-1 billion Yuan (117-146m dollars with today ER).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Planodisney said:

I think more people felt that TFA is bad... in China. (which actually even alot of fans feel that way too, thinking back).

No1 really said Rogue One was bad... the reviews in China are slightly above average, from what I am reading on Weibo. TFA was the culprit for Star Wars failure in China.

Monday estimates

Passengers  -  11.8m / 250m

Someone Like It Hot  -  11.3m / 582m

Arrival  -  10.7m / 61.2m

Backkom Bear  -  6.3m / 95.1m

Rogue One  -  5.8m / 430m

Railroad Tigers  -  2.8m / 674m

The Great Wall  -  2.25m / 1,150m

Kubo  -  1.15m / 37.45m

Hacksaw Ridge  -  1.05m / 415m

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Monday estimates

Passengers  -  11.8m / 250m

Someone Like It Hot  -  11.3m / 582m

Arrival  -  10.7m / 61.2m

Backkom Bear  -  6.3m / 95.1m

Rogue One  -  5.8m / 430m

Railroad Tigers  -  2.8m / 674m

The Great Wall  -  2.25m / 1,150m

Kubo  -  1.15m / 37.45m

Hacksaw Ridge  -  1.05m / 415m

R1 will pass 450m yuan which is more than 65m USD. Not bad at all actually, at a very very dull month, with Disney China not putting in effort for the marketing.
More than 2x multiplier since opening weekend, despite strong competition from Passengers and holdovers like Some like it hot, and fake fudge like Railroad Tigers.

Never under-estimate the drawing power of Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen, all the positive reviews from China focuses on them, and allowed that x2 multplier since opening weekend.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

R1 will pass 450m yuan which is more than 65m USD. Not bad at all actually, at a very very dull month, with Disney China not putting in effort for the marketing.
More than 2x multiplier since opening weekend, despite strong competition from Passengers and holdovers like Some like it hot, and fake fudge like Railroad Tigers.

Never under-estimate the drawing power of Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen, all the positive reviews from China focuses on them, and allowed that x2 multplier since opening weekend.

xXx might only make $60m in US. And I think it could do better in China.

• Like 1