A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

58 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Who said that? I don't think that even local productions get a 50% cut from the theatrical run there so I highly doubt that Warcraft gets any more than the usual Hollywood fare especially since it's still considered an import there (Wanda bought Legendary after it has already been produced). KFP3 for example is considered a local movie yet only got a 37% cut (according to Firedeep).

What I did read was that Wanda's theater chains (about 18% of the country's) do give it a bigger cut (perhaps more than 50%) but the other theaters (making up 82% of the market) give the usual 25%.

I read it somewhere earlier in this thread. You're welcome to check it out. Should be somewhere in the last 10-15 pages

Looks like a softer drop for WC today than yesterday

Looks like 

WC  36,5

XMA 13,5

XMA must have some kind of good WOM because it has'ent almost dropped from monday

• Like 6

17 hours ago, fmpro said:

I read it somewhere earlier in this thread. You're welcome to check it out. Should be somewhere in the last 10-15 pages

Okay, did a bit of digging.

On 7/6/2016 at 4:27 AM, Rentaro1989 said:

I would actually say that Warcraft will make good money in CHina and not jsut save the day.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-06/-warcraft-will-be-bigger-than-star-wars-in-china-here-s-why

I mean if Legendary-Wanda keep a 55-57% as article indicates this is a huge thing.thats a 25% that if it wasnt of that merge would be propably lost

And yes, the person didn't read the article properly. Only Wanda's theaters (18% of all screens in the country) are involved with the 50% deal.

Wang’s companies may benefit the most among the Chinese companies if the film succeeds. Besides Legendary getting its cut as a co-producer, Wanda Cinema will likely keep half of the ticket sales from its theaters, plus a 5 percent to 7 percent distribution fee, according to Everbright Securities Co.

Edited by Agafin
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Lihongkim said:

Jackie Chan: 'Warcraft' Success in China "Scares the Americans"

Lol, the comment section is so fun to read.

Tbh, his thought process makes no sense. What is "scary" about a movie making money? Why would the success of an american film in China prompt people to start learning chinese?

Edited by Agafin
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Tbh, his thought process makes no sense. What is "scary" about a movie making money? Why would the success of an american film in China prompt people to start learning chinese?

He is taking out of context everything.

Warcraft is American.

China hasn´t made a single film that earns more than 50m OS.

Warcraft is in engilsh.

But I get his point, China has a massive audience that can compete and over take the american.

Edited by Belakor

54 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Trust me, Jackie Chan doesn't think before he speaks.... He spoke so much about Hong Kong Politics, and Singapore laws etc that there are many people boycotting his films. Take a look at his Hong Kong Box Office in the past 5 years, one flop after another. And there is a negative sentiment among many Malaysians after he was announced as a "Datuk" despite never contributed to Malaysia.
I love Jackie, grew up watching his movies, but this guy talks a lot of crap....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Agafin said:

Jackie Chan is just trying to fire up the Shanghai festival attendees. Saying that they have an important say in what movies got produced, and that would even be bigger if a movie made 1.5Billion. If the Chinese films are successful, than films original language would shift to Chinese instead of English. Then, English actors would need to learn to speak Chinese instead of Chinese actors having to learn to speak English.

8 minutes ago, fastclock said:

Jackie Chan is just trying to fire up the Shanghai festival attendees. Saying that they have an important say in what movies got produced, and that would even be bigger if a movie made 1.5Billion. If the Chinese films are successful, than films original language would shift to Chinese instead of English. Then, English actors would need to learn to speak Chinese instead of Chinese actors having to learn to speak English.

I don't see this happening in our life time.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Agafin said:

His quote from the article: 

"If we make a film that earns [$1.5 billion], then people from all over the world who study film will learn Chinese instead of us learning English,"

If a movie makes $1.5b in china then hollywood really will ignore what american audiences want, and that's kind of "scary", or better put that's not something I would want because it means talent going to serve China's taste instead of mine.  

Alternatively if he  meant that a movie made in China earns $1.5b worldwide I'm not sure that's scary to americans in any way.  If it means that the chinese movie industry tells stories that are more interesting to the world as a whole than hollywood does that's good for me too.