A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

So PK will finish with around 120m..... around 123 crore in Indian currency....a mighty impressive figure. Just to give an idea, in India, only 1 Bollywood movie in 2015 so far has grossed more than this amount.

• Like 1

So PK will finish with around 120m..... around 123 crore in Indian currency....a mighty impressive figure. Just to give an idea, in India, only 1 Bollywood movie in 2015 so far has grossed more than this amount.

Great run, beating Tomorrowland as well.

It's clear from today's early trend and the rest of the weekend that China's "protection month" will be starting in full force...I think JW will have a tough time getting to 200M...tops 180M

Didn't TF4 got released just before the protection month last year? Yet it still made it pass 300m.

Thursday estimates:
1). SPL2 ¥62.1M/cume: 66.1M($10.5M)
2). Jurassic World ¥35M/cume: 784M($126.2M)
3). San Andreas, ¥8.7M/ cume: ¥551M ($88.7M)
4). Stand by Me Doraemon, ¥1.4M/ cume: ¥515M ($82.9M)
5). P.K., ¥0.7M / cume: ¥118M ($19M)

Friday showtimes
SPL2 - 28.5%
JW -21%
Insurgent -16.6%
The Ark of Mr. Chow - 15.2%
SA - 3.1%
Dora -1.6% 
  • Like 2

Revised Estimates:

SPLII ¥65.08M / cume ¥69.2M($11.1M)

Jurassic World ¥35M/cume: ¥784M($126.2M)

San Andreas, ¥8.8M/ cume: ¥551M ($88.7M)
Stand by Me Doraemon, ¥1.45M/ cume: ¥515M ($82.9M)
Insurgent (Midnights), ¥0.6M ($96.6K)
P.K., ¥0.5M / cume: ¥118M ($19M)

Thursday estimates:

1). SPL2 ¥62.1M/cume: 66.1M($10.5M)
2). Jurassic World ¥35M/cume: 784M($126.2M)
3). San Andreas, ¥8.8M/ cume: ¥551M ($88.7M)
4). Stand by Me Doraemon, ¥1.45M/ cume: ¥515M ($82.9M)
5). P.K., ¥0.5M / cume: ¥118M ($19M)

Friday showtimes
SPL2 - 28.5%
JW -21%
Insurgent -16.6%
The Ark of Mr. Chow - 15.2%
SA - 3.1%
Dora -1.6% 

Edited by jiangsen
  • Like 1

Revised Estimates:

SPLII ¥65.08M / cume ¥69.2M($11.1M)

Jurassic World ¥35M/cume: ¥784M($126.2M)

San Andreas, ¥8.8M/ cume: ¥551M ($88.7M)
Stand by Me Doraemon, ¥1.45M/ cume: ¥515M ($82.9M)
Insurgent (Midnights), ¥0.6M ($966K)
P.K., ¥0.5M / cume: ¥118M ($19M)

never expect SPLII doing good at box office

another unexpected break out film this year after Wolf Warrior

Ip Man 3 maybe break out too next year

Nope, just a fan of more diversity in Chinese theaters...

Statements like "ouch" for a decent drop are not warranted just because you are against foreign movies (JW in particular for some odd reason), since they are misleading especially for newer members like myself. I would have thought "ouch" was legit if other members didn't say the drop was in fact not that bad. Edited by Scoobysaurus

Statements like "ouch" for a decent drop are not warranted just because you are against foreign movies (JW in particular for some odd reason), since they are misleading especially for newer members like myself. I would have thought "ouch" was legit if other members didn't say the drop was in fact not that bad.

Perhaps the "ouch" comment was unwarranted in that it needed further explanation and for that I apologize. "Ouch" was intended to mean that JW won't make what the majority of forum members were expecting...namely $200M+ and continued domination at the box office this weekend. I have nothing against Hollywood movies -- I myself am American, and both attended JW and enjoyed it -- but a Chinese language movie debuting with these kind of numbers and cutting into JW's market share deserves a comment. 

Perhaps the "ouch" comment was unwarranted in that it needed further explanation and for that I apologize. "Ouch" was intended to mean that JW won't make what the majority of forum members were expecting...namely $200M+ and continued domination at the box office this weekend. I have nothing against Hollywood movies -- I myself am American, and both attended JW and enjoyed it -- but a Chinese language movie debuting with these kind of numbers and cutting into JW's market share deserves a comment.

Perhaps there is a need of a thread solely for local Chinese movies tracking. Not sure if will be popular though