A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

44 minutes ago, Tauren Warlock said:

This movie will take the summer crown for highest grossing film in a single territory this year. Sorry Wonder Woman.

And over Beauty and the Beast.

And what about over SW8 and be the biggest film a single territory in the whole year...

1 hour ago, Tauren Warlock said:

I have a feeling that SW8 won't drop that much from TFA. It could even outgross TFA. It has so many advantages right now that will make it a giant hit. For now, I say WW2 China dom under SW8 dom.

Clone Wars dropped 35% from Phantom. Same drop would put Star Wars 8 around the 600m mark.

IF it does 300m today then 1000m weekend and 1600m week is happening totaling 3640m. 50% drops going forward lands it at 5240m/$780m. -38% holds(possible)= 6040m/$898m

SW7 936.66m

IF

PS indicating next fridays 3 releases will total 200m on OD. A bit of competition ahead.

Edited by POTUS
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

I agree that SW8 has many factors to hold very well relative to SW7 (mainly Fisher's death). for the moment, I have it over $800m. But as @eXtacy says, Attack of the Clones dropped a lot. And probably the best film of the whole series, Empire Strikes Back, dropped over 30% relative to Star Wars too. It is really hard to keep the level of anticipation and hype that Star Wars, Phantom Menace and TFA have had. And if WW2 is able to manage, let's say, $750m I do not see impossible that it can win the year.

6 minutes ago, POTUS said:

IF it does 300m today then 1000m weekend and 1600m week is happening totaling 3640m. 50% drops going forward lands it at 5240m/$780m. -38% holds(possible)= 6040m/$898m

SW7 936.66m

IF

PS indicating next fridays 3 releases will total 200m on OD. A bit of competition ahead.

Just to take into consideration those numbers is insane :ohmygod:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Chinese numbers start to become very close to US'...

Let's hope someday foreign movies will benefit from it....Avatar 2 and Avengers 3 for example :P

Furious 8 just made 388M, that is quite beneficial (and much more than it made Domestically).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, POTUS said:

SW7 936.66m

IF

WW2 won't make $900M...

4 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Chinese numbers start to become very close to US'...

Let's hope someday foreign movies will benefit from it....Avatar 2 and Avengers 3 for example :P

Avatar 2 will definitely benefit from it, people used to laugh when I said Avatar 2 can potentially make more than $800M in China, now it's looking more and more like a possibility, exciting times are ahead! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tower said:

Furious 8 just made 388M, that is quite beneficial (and much more than it made Domestically).

I was thinking about $500m+ movies :P

But yeah, $388m is obviously great, but still very rare. It's still hard for me to forget Moana's terrible BO there :(

7 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Avatar 2 will definitely benefit from it, people used to laugh when I said Avatar 2 can potentially make more than $800M in China, now it's looking more and more like a possibility, exciting times are ahead! 

$800m seems a bit ambitious for a Hollywood movie don't you think? At least for the next few years..