A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

11 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

You're both right. I was thinking that all the negative attention around the world (especially the calls for boycotts) would distract from the actual excitement for the movie in China. But I guess that news would be censored anyways? 

I am no expert on this topic, but I would guess that the more calls there are from non-China countries to boycott over HK stuff, the more “patriotic” it becomes to see it in the mainland.

9 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I am no expert on this topic, but I would guess that the more calls there are from non-China countries to boycott over HK stuff, the more “patriotic” it becomes to see it in the mainland.

Most people in most countries might think independence is a good thing. But Chinese think that is going to destroy their home and country. 

12 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Most people in most countries might think independence is a good thing. But Chinese think that is going to destroy their home and country. 

Most people in most country tend to feel quite the same the minute it concern part of their country (Canada right now is refusing entry to the Catalan separatist leader), independent tend to be good for others far away, but if Alberta, Texas, Québec, Catalan's, etc... want it, people from the country that would break it up tend to talk quite against it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jedi Jat said:

If Mulan does $600mn, Disney will get $125mn

Is it better if they sell the film to a local player in buyout. Local distrubutor get 36%.

Right @A Marvel Fanboy @dada or there is some rule stopping that.

Nope.

25% applies for both quote release and buyout release.

Mulan is a Disney production, so it is automatically a quote release. China won't allow it to be sold as a buyout release.

Also, it is Disney... they will never sell their films to another distributor.  Disney is the only studio in the WORLD that always (well, at least, almost always) finances, creative controls, and distributes its films 100% by itself.

DISNEY DO NOT SHARE

Edited by A Marvel Fanboy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jedi Jat said:

If Mulan does $600mn, Disney will get $125mn

Is it better if they sell the film to a local player in buyout. Local distrubutor get 36%.

Right @A Marvel Fanboy @dada or there is some rule stopping that.

6 minutes ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

Nope.

25% applies for both quote release and buyout release.

Mulan is a Disney production, so it is automatically a quote release. China won't allow it to be sold as a buyout release.

Also, it is Disney... they will never sell their films to another distributor.  Disney is the only studio in the WORLD that always (well, at least, almost always) finances, creative controls, and distributes its films 100% by itself.

DISNEY DO NOT SHARE

Still. 25% of 600 mill is 150mill. Not 125

9 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Thy don’t get 25% of the service fees that contribute to the nominal 600. Or, iirc, the pre-VAT gross?   

I seem to recall a discussion about how for a nominal 100M, it was something like 8% service fees, 8% VAT, and 25 of remaining 84 = 21% of top line went to studio.

On 12/5/2019 at 12:30 AM, Arendelle Legion said:

Looks like PS may end at just 17 for Jumanji. Maybe 19 if the D-0 night is unusually good. If so might be just 28-33 without notable reception.

18 minutes ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

Jumanji 3 is underperforming

At least it won’t underperform my yesterday expectations that badly ;)    

+11M from 3:00 to 15:00 is weak sauce though. Will it even have the night strength to hit 3x PSm?

Edited by Arendelle Legion

33 minutes ago, fmpro said:

25% is of Nett Gross.

Reported Gross - Ticket Booking Charges = Gross

Gross - GST/VAT : Net

25% of Nett is roughly 21% of Reported Gross.

Endgame

Reported Gross: 4.24Bn

Gross: 4.018Bn

Disney: 921.3mn

Theatres: 2.1Bn

Govt/Others: 996.4mn

Edited by Jedi Jat

1 hour ago, Arendelle Legion said:

At least it won’t underperform my yesterday expectations that badly ;)    

+11M from 3:00 to 15:00 is weak sauce though. Will it even have the night strength to hit 3x PSm?

Looks like yes. Low 60s. Could hit lower end of my 28-33 range with a good sat bump.

19 hours ago, KP1025 said:

Still early but as long as they don't mess up the marketing (and there's no more bad press about Liu Yifei), Mulan should make Top 3 for the year in China.

In China, the press for Liu Yifei is good. Opposite of what her image is in HK.