A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

3 hours ago, KP1025 said:

Why? There's almost no ticket price inflation in Japan. And original Hollywood films were more likely to do huge grosses back in that era (even pure action flicks like Armageddon and Independence Day grossed ¥13.4 billion and ¥10.65 billion respectively-both impossible to replicate today in Japan).

2 hours ago, pepsa said:

The your name reason is why I woud say it's not much more impressive because it's unfair to just look at import in Japan. There are a lot of other movies that are big and only looking at 50% (or how ever much it is) and say well no other movie did this feat in the past 10 years is a lot more likely to happen if you only have 50% of the market that is allow to compete. And whilest I agree that condition for local and import can be very deffirent in Japan they are a lot more simmilar than in China for example. The big difference is YN only releasing it's dvd version after 1 year compared to disneys  4 months that might have cut it's legs by 50m. 

So if we asume frozen does 30B in Japan with DVD comming only after 9-12 months it would basicly be tied with spirited away and it would be more impressive than TFA but not 'much more' in my opinion.

We could say TFA adjusted isn't even that high but with adjusting comes a lot of other problems and variables. TFA increased 25% over the previous best and thats quite a feat as well.

If we are speaking about the run it self obviously every japanese smash hit will win out because having 10+ crazy weeks is a lot more fun than crazy first 12 -18 days or so

25 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

There is no inflation in Japan iirc. Footfalls of Frozen are more which is better as 90s box office is simply bigger.

was surprised at that info about hollywood films in japan in 90s. thanks for the feedback.

2 hours ago, Jedi Jat said:

¥300mn Black Widow May Day OD. Could set record for previews at around ¥40-50mn, with next day being Holiday. Perhaps ¥700-750mn OW.

What say @A Marvel Fanboy @POTUS 2020

Im not much of a forecaster.  Cant say until PS start

Is BW expected to break out like VNM and AQM instead falling into the usual 700-1000m range?

4 hours ago, POTUS 2020 said:

Im not much of a forecaster.  Cant say until PS start

Is BW expected to break out like VNM and AQM instead falling into the usual 700-1000m range?

I’m thinking between 1B and AoU, but it’s tough to say so early. Could also hinge on the release date they can secure and what the Labor Day holiday looks like this year (duh).

Edited by Arendelle Legion

54 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

@Olive @Gavin Feng @A Marvel Fanboy

Is it worth, if Disney release release Mulan 2 Weeks early on Women's day in China.

that could be a possibility

48 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Still early but as long as they don't mess up the marketing (and there's no more bad press about Liu Yifei), Mulan should make Top 3 for the year in China.

top 3 will be very hard

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

Still early but as long as they don't mess up the marketing (and there's no more bad press about Liu Yifei), Mulan should make Top 3 for the year in China.

Liu Yifei's bad press is in HK, not China.

I mean she supports the HK police which means she supports China... what bad press in China?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

Isn’t the English “bad press” actually Chinese good press though?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Liu Yifei's bad press is in HK, not China.

I mean she supports the HK police which means she supports China... what bad press in China?

5 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Isn’t the English “bad press” actually Chinese good press though?

You're both right. I was thinking that all the negative attention around the world (especially the calls for boycotts) would distract from the actual excitement for the movie in China. But I guess that news would be censored anyways?