2021/1/15

The Soul

$10-15 million

$35-45 million

China

Zhong He Qian Cheng & Ali Pictures

* 4-day opening

Wonder Woman 1984

- I revise down my expectation again, but it's still much higher than what pre-sale has suggested. Yes, numbers don't lie. And I insist on a basic line I think it shouldn't be crossed. No matter right or wrong, I'm going to reflect what really happed on recent Hollywood titles. So would those studios.

A Little Red Flower

- Far ahead of what I expected, according to pre-sale performance. It has a shot of making $25M from 6 hours previews on Dec.31. The midnights/previews records are held by Avengers: Endgame's $28.3M(mignights) and Wolf Warrior sequel's $15.2M(8pm previews).

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, LPLC said:

I don't know too much about it, but does Detective Chinatown 3 have a chance of exceeding 100 million admissions in China ?

According InsideKino, Detective Chinatown 2 sold 87 million admissions.

https://www.insidekino.de/BO/Titanic.htm

It was not too far of that number. And that considering that it was not the biggest film of the CNY in 2018. Operation Red Sea was released the same day and sold 92 million (always according the same source, InsideKino). If the anticipation is so high I guess it has that chance. 

1 hour ago, WandaLegion said:

The WW84 conversation should move over to here now, presales portion of the run is over.      

Rescue has a 9.2 on Maoyan right now, but not sure if that’s real or faked.

Maoyan Movie, the co-pro of The Rescue, controlled the audience score by its own ticket platform.

Not only the referee but also athlete

• Like 2

many who saw midnights felt they were deceived --

not a real superhero movie, more like some kind of rom-comedy. 

too long with 150 mins

endless talking instead of fighting.

director/writers keep telling audience how to love, so narcissistic

just like TENET, it's not a blockbuster people expected. They want to experience something epic, but neither of them have that.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

too long with 150 mins

just like TENET, it's not a blockbuster people expected. They want to experience something epic, but neither of them have that.

Black Widow is on her way to give the people what they want!

On 12/14/2020 at 11:46 AM, charlie Jatinder said:

The absolute low is perhaps $20mn weekend right. May be $35mn full run.

Absolute low transforms into baseline expectation now.   

If it was like 8.9 but didn’t do much because of lack of marketing and piracy in a week that would be a lot better for WW3’s prospects here. As is, WW3 will probably still need to work for the Billie mark since it might not match the first in China. Or maybe it comes out in 2024, gets 9.3, and makes like $300 here — don’t want to get too far ahead of myself for such a far future event.

• Like 1

Some think piracy affected its pre-sale. Maybe it did. But how to explain Mulan, a movie that debuted a week after piracy leaked, could even do higher than WE84 in final pre-sale. And Mulan only had three days selling ticket in advance.

Marketing and distribution fucked up.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Menor said:

More "light comedy" superhero films seem to have trouble in China. Somehow Ant-Man avoids that though. 

Many comedy-type Hollywood blockbusters are too American style, including Spider-Man: Homecoming. But those jokes in Ant-Man could even make local audience laugh. I really appreciate that business talent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

too long with 150 mins

These comments from the audience are definitely disappointing after you mentioned critics seemed to like the movie but in the end it’s the audience who decides how much a movie will make.

I still stand by the fact that marketing for this movie has been awful everywhere other then the US where it’s premiering on HBOmax.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Absolute low transforms into baseline expectation now.   

If it was like 8.9 but didn’t do much because of lack of marketing and piracy in a week that would be a lot better for WW3’s prospects here. As is, WW3 will probably still need to work for the Billie mark since it might not match the first in China. Or maybe it comes out in 2024, gets 9.3, and makes like $300 here — don’t want to get too far ahead of myself for such a far future event.

I think WW3 won't come in next 2-3 years atleast. By then expect streaming to take over. Don't think it will do billie.

Billie will be reserved for Asia strong content I guess, given they are given some window.

34 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Some think piracy affected its pre-sale. Maybe it did. But how to explain Mulan, a movie that debuted a week after piracy leaked, could even do higher than WE84 in final pre-sale. And Mulan only had three days selling ticket in advance.

Marketing and distribution fucked up.

I said in WW84 INT thread that even Middle East pre-sales are low, where piracy shouldn't have that big impact.