A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

6 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

many who saw midnights felt they were deceived --

not a real superhero movie, more like some kind of rom-comedy. 

too long with 150 mins

endless talking instead of fighting.

director/writers keep telling audience how to love, so narcissistic

just like TENET, it's not a blockbuster people expected. They want to experience something epic, but neither of them have that.

So it ain't a real Superhero movie unless it's 2 hours of two testosterone injected guys punching each other? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

So it ain't a real Superhero movie unless it's 2 hours of two testosterone injected guys punching each other? 

It doesn’t tell the exact dramatic conflict between leading character and villains until almost 100 minutes...

$35M-$40M lifetime is more than the OW you predicted last week. In addition to a disinterest in the film, the movie sucks and the reviews are bad. Another DC Comics film to forget and forgettable like sucide squads or shazam ... . Luckily Marvel and movies like Shang Chi, Eternals, and Black Widow will catch up in 2021.

I’m getting strong vibes of J:TNL from almost exactly a year ago, which went on to do fine reception/business DOM and OS-C.     

I feel like (non-MCU) HW sequels have been really struggling here for quite a while now, even several years pre-covid. Can’t think of one off the top of my head where the first movie did some decent business (say top 50 yearly in China) and the sequel had a higher share of HW gross for its year than the first movie did.    

Could just be subconsciously cherry-picking though.

10 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

I’m getting strong vibes of J:TNL from almost exactly a year ago, which went on to do fine reception/business DOM and OS-C.     

I feel like (non-MCU) HW sequels have been really struggling here for quite a while now, even several years pre-covid. Can’t think of one off the top of my head where the first movie did some decent business (say top 50 yearly in China) and the sequel had a higher share of HW gross for its year than the first movie did.    

Could just be subconsciously cherry-picking though.

JW? But mostly yes, sequel effect doesn't quite work in China outside MCU.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

JW? But mostly yes, sequel effect doesn't quite work in China outside MCU.

FK was able to increase in $ at least, but it was only 14%. I suspect that’s a bit less than HW performance in China grew from 2015 to 2018, but finding a clean source is proving annoying.