A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

3 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Back from my source, announcing back dates that were approved for Chinese Release.

2022 French Film "The Son" - 24 February, 2023

2023 Hollywood Film "Shazam! Fury of the Gods" - 17 March, 2023 (moving up/down)

2022 Japanese Film "Suzume's Locking-Up" - 24 March, 2023

2022 British Film "Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris" - 31 March, 2023

2018 Indian Film "Sui Dhaaga- Made in India" - 31 March, 2023

2021 Cantonese Film "One For The Road" - 1 April, 2023

2002 Japanese Film "Detective Conan: The Phantom of Baker Street" - 4 April, 2023

Official Posters from Studio/Distributor (confirming my updates)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I've never really understood this, what's the issue with the Dalai Lama? Is it a religious thing or a Tibetan status thing? I genuinely don't know. 

Government views the Dalai Lama as a 'separatist', who is working to split Tibet from Mainland China.

• Like 1

John Wick: Chapter 4 Blacklisted

In late January, Reeves received heavy criticism from Chinese social media users, some of whom called for a boycott of his work in China, after it emerged that he planned to appear in a March 3 concert organised by Tibet House US, a New York-based nonprofit founded at the request of the Dalai Lama, Tibetan Buddhism's spiritual leader.

Reeves participated in the concert, which was held virtually due to restrictions aimed at curbing the spread of COVID-19, prompting more criticism online.

Chinese streaming platforms including Tencent Video and iQiyi have taken down films and video content starring him. Out of which at least 19 of his movies were pulled from Tencent Video.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Dalai Lama issue...

Yeah I know but I was hoping if Marvel films can be released, JW4 has a 1% chance noting Donnie Yen's involvement and apparentlying being the co-lead. We know his status now in China in terms of being a political figure.

But another issue is the violence, China has no film rating system.. Kids can go into the cinema to watch anything, hard for them to not cut out half of any JW movies.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Yeah I know but I was hoping if Marvel films can be released, JW4 has a 1% chance noting Donnie Yen's involvement and apparentlying being the co-lead. We know his status now in China in terms of being a political figure.

But another issue is the violence, China has no film rating system.. Kids can go into the cinema to watch anything, hard for them to not cut out half of any JW movies.

i'm confident in saying that if someone from ant-man posted with the dalai lama, it would get the movie banned. I don't think letting marvel back in means they won't ban them if they do something politically that ccp doesn't like

1 hour ago, seduh7 said:

It seems that The Wandering Earth is catching Full River Red at the daily box office. On thrusday (Feb 2), FRR made $12.66 against TWE2 $11.45. After all TWE2 didnt collapse as some expected, it didnt explode as it could but it's a hit. 

With just a box office profit it hardly cover budget(¥3.6B),but now they recover the budget by selling the toy and making game.

20 minutes ago, Sophia Jane said:

With just a box office profit it hardly cover budget(¥3.6B),but now they recover the budget by selling the toy and making game.

I understand, but the movie will make $550 or ¥3.6B, a good number for a sequel. Obviously it could have done better, but also worse. If the budget for the movie is so big the problem is the budget not the box office. If a Hollywood movie cost 1 billion dolars and it make $2 billion worldwide, it will be a blockbuster in numbers but a finance failure because it cost so much. Avatar cost $450, a veru risky number, but its a sequel of a $2.9 billion movie. The Wandering Earth made $680 in 2019. Doing $550 is a 20% drop, not great but not a disaster. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thajdikt said:

Would that be enough for a third movie?

enough for a third movie,the game of The wandering earth is really a big news,guess it will have at least 10m player or more,the game is like some kind of RPG game on cellphone,I probably won't play the game but I expect it too

The toy is also freaking popular,many kids love it.

This series have a loyalty fandom space now.

Edited by Sophia Jane
  • Like 1

IMAX Record $34M in Spring Festival. 54% bigger than 2022 &3% ahead of 2021.

"Wandering Earth 2" led the way with $26.3M in box office across the IMAX network — good for 8.2% of the film's total gross on less than 1% of screens.

"Wandering Earth 2" is now the 3rd Highest Grossing IMAX release in China.

2023 marks the first time IMAX has ever had a $25 million-plus grossing Chinese film and Hollywood film "Avatar: The Way of Water" in Chinese theatres at the same time.  

"Wandering Earth 2" also received a limited North American release for the holiday, where IMAX earned 30% of the film's three-day opening gross in only 31 locations.   

• Like 2

On 2/2/2023 at 6:28 AM, Issac Newton said:

Back from my source, announcing back dates that were approved for Chinese Release.

2022 French Film "The Son" - 24 February, 2023

2023 Hollywood Film "Shazam! Fury of the Gods" - 17 March, 2023 (moving up/down)

2022 Japanese Film "Suzume's Locking-Up" - 24 March, 2023

2022 British Film "Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris" - 31 March, 2023

2018 Indian Film "Sui Dhaaga- Made in India" - 31 March, 2023

2021 Cantonese Film "One For The Road" - 1 April, 2023

2002 Japanese Film "Detective Conan: The Phantom of Baker Street" - 4 April, 2023

Official Update (backing my source)

On 1/19/2023 at 9:22 PM, Issac Newton said:

Will Titanic re-release in Mainland China?

假的啦,别乱传了,影响不太好。。。

大船重映不会上,因为福斯(迪士尼)压根就没来申请,进出口那里连盘都没有……

大船情人节唯一能上的办法,就是片方赶在年前立马去申请,然后年后光速过审走完流程批复,毕竟两回了都,东西几乎都是现成的,译制也不用做了,做完拷贝就直接发盘,不然想都别想,尤其是片方连申请都没申请。

还有一天就放假了,除了已经拿到的,其他基本都得等到年后了,别问,问了也不是说,还有最近谣言太多,现在传的基本上都是假的。

CC - @Gavin Feng @Olive

Hopes for Titanic -

I am not sure why Fox/Disney haven't considered sending Titanic for release approval. Quite, easy to re-release old film (that were released back in past).