A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

Last year or the year before, some other big U.S. movie had bad subtitles in China. Anybody remember what movie it was?

EDIT: Just looked up, it was Guardians of the Galaxy. Disney/Marvel needs to find better translators - or does the Chinese film bureau make those decisions?

(And apparently the same thing happened to Pacific Rim?)

Edited by TServo2049

let's wait and see how it does on the weekend. Remember that prevous to F7 expectations for this movie were at $200, and it's going to get there so stop being so negative about this movie. This is not F7

Exactly. Previous to F7, people who know better the market here were predicting 200-250 for AoU (you can look at pre-F7 release pages to check it). The fact that F7 had broken expectatives do not imply that every big blockbuster must do the same to not be a disappointment. And the same applies to OS figures. With the exchange rates problem, 1 billion OS and TA WW figure was the real target for TA2. DOM numbers have been the real disappointment. For God sake, TA2 will reach TA numbers in China in 5 days if I am not wrong. Let's keep the perspective. F7 is a rarity. The truth is that Phase 2 movies have made about 90-120 million in China (excepting Thor) and TA2 seems headed to make 100 million more than that. IMO, it is a good boost. And I have few doubts that MCU films will continue increasing by a wide margin in China.

• Like 4

Last year or the year before, some other big U.S. movie had bad subtitles in China. Anybody remember what movie it was?

EDIT: Just looked up, it was Guardians of the Galaxy. Disney/Marvel needs to find better translators - or does the Chinese film bureau make those decisions?

(And apparently the same thing happened to Pacific Rim?

Asian is never mind to read subtitles. Even it had bad one it still be successful if its quality is good enough. Imagine if Asian is like ... who always mind reading sub....what happen to those movies?

• Like 1

Tasm2                              
s 61                              
m 36 -41.0%                            
t 34 -5.6%                            
w 28 -17.6%                            
th 24 -14.3%                            
f 39 62.5%                            
s 75 92.3%                            
s 52 -30.7%                            
m 16 -69.2%                            
t 17 6.3%                            
w 14 -17.6%                            
th 13 -7.1%                            
f 19 46.2%                            
s 39 105.3%                            
s 30 -23.1%                            

If its going to clear 250m, this is the silver lining

Here is TASM2 which was obviously a weekend loaded movie

TASM2 had a much smaller attendance, I doubt AoU will bump 50% then 100% like TASM2 due to the sheer size of the numbers, Classmates and CA2 were able to bump over 20% for may holiday last year, but FF7 was a larger situation, but still managed to drop just 25% instead of  a 70% weekly drop. So I see AoU bump somewhere in between the normal 20%/50% Friday/Saturday bump and spideys 50%/100%

fake has already said 30% so far today, so maybe itll be 30%/60% for F/S. Now that there is a little hope, lets see if it disappoints again.

Exactly. Previous to F7, people who know better the market here were predicting 200-250 for AoU (you can look at pre-F7 release pages to check it). The fact that F7 had broken expectatives do not imply that every big blockbuster must do the same to not be a disappointment. And the same applies to OS figures. With the exchange rates problem, 1 billion OS and TA WW figure was the real target for TA2. DOM numbers have been the real disappointment. For God sake, TA2 will reach TA numbers in China in 5 days if I am not wrong. Let's keep the perspective. F7 is a rarity. The truth is that Phase 2 movies have made about 90-120 million in China (excepting Thor) and TA2 seems headed to make 100 million more than that. IMO, it is a good boost. And I have few doubts that MCU films will continue increasing by a wide margin in China.

Great post. It's funny how some people pretend to forget those initial predictions just so they could sing their 'omg it didn't do xxx number??? Flop! Lol lol lol' song. FF7 wouldn't have made what it did under a normal circumstance, let's not forget that too.

Great post. It's funny how some people pretend to forget those initial predictions just so they could sing their 'omg it didn't do xxx number??? Flop! Lol lol lol' song. FF7 wouldn't have made what it did under a normal circumstance, let's not forget that too.

What is wrong with you and peludo? Who cares if everybody thought it was going to make only about $200M in China before FF7. Now it is over FF7 or bust. Get on with the program.

You want use common sense and logic in your analysis. Completely unacceptable.

$70M in 3 days in China - Flop. 

Accept it.

Edited by jb007
  • Like 3

I think its not tracking too far from wednesday looking at real time data. That was 123m yuan.

By the way thursday actuals seem a bit lower ~ 89m yuan. Olive should be able to confirm.

Edit: it seems to have slowed down a bit. But could pick up in the evening with walk ups. But I doubt it will have crazy increase like TASM2 did.

Edited by keysersoze123

I think its not tracking too far from wednesday looking at real time data. That was 123m yuan.

By the way thursday actuals seem a bit lower ~ 89m yuan. Olive should be able to confirm.

Edit: it seems to have slowed down a bit. But could pick up in the evening with walk ups. But I doubt it will have crazy increase like TASM2 did.

maybe 25-30% increase then

FF7 increased 24% after selling 1B in first 5 days.

sounds closer to FF7 than spidey at this point

250m going going gone and 1.4b WW with it

Thursday estimates:

Age of Ultron: 94M/$15.15M, total:432M/$69.6m(3 Days)

Thursday estimates:

Age of Ultron: 94M/$15.15M, total:432M/$69.6m(3 Days)

Thursday Actual:

Age of Ultron: 90.6M/$14.5M

Edited by Johnny's wife