57 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Matrix

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

why the wachowskis thought it would be good to infuse this with fate and destiny and knowing yourself and love saving the day i don't know, because both the action scenes and the down the rabbit hole conspiracy philosophies are great enough without the need for all that moralistic hokum. whatever though, it was fun.

C (50)

I have a serious question for you.  Why do you see movies if you hate them so much?  I get not liking some movies that the masses like, we all have those, but when you dislike every single loved film ever made, from Jaws and Star Wars to Matrix and Indiana Jones, then you are either full of shit or you don't like movies.  So why watch them if you hate them so much?

• Like 3

I have a serious question for you.  Why do you see movies if you hate them so much?  I get not liking some movies that the masses like, we all have those, but when you dislike every single loved film ever made, from Jaws and Star Wars to Matrix and Indiana Jones, then you are either full of shit or you don't like movies.  So why watch them if you hate them so much?

i enjoyed the matrix enough. and i don't dislike every single loved film ever made. spielberg, lucas, yes - nolan, jackson no. etc.

How can you dislike Spielberg and like Jackson?

Jackson is the Spielberg's wannabe kiwi with heavy handed gloves.

spielberg is overrated nostalgia. though i probably only like jackson more for the same reason.

• Like 1

I take Minority Report, Munich or Close Encounters Of The Thirst Kind over anything Jackson has made. Because if you like subtle movies, you just cannot like Peter Jackson and put him over Spielberg. Spielberg is a bear, Peter Jackson is a diplodocus in terms of subtlety and conciseness.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

I love subtle movies as much as anyone, but I don't understand the view that unsubtle movies are inherently worse. Jackson sure isn't subtle, but when he applies his particular sensibility to the material that suits it, he produces great stuff. I'm not even talking about LOTR and his early horror flicks - but Heavenly Creatures is a fantastic drama that only Jackson could have made as good as it is. 

• Like 1

but Heavenly Creatures is a fantastic drama that only Jackson could have made as good as it is. 

Spielberg or any directors with a keen eye for dramas could have done it better. There's nothing in there that screams "unique" and "auteur-istic".(except the ugly handheld cam close-ups he lifted from his horror flicks)

(Oh, just realized Lisa comes from NZ...That explains it all :lol: )

Edited by dashrendar44

One of the best films ever made. Sadly, I doubt we will ever see another film like this executed so well. It borrows from so much like a modern-day Star Wars, and then it takes some concepts that might be complex for some people and presents it in a way that is entertaining for people. This was actually the perfect film to end the previous millennium and usher in the new one.

• Like 1

Just watched this for the first time... stretched over six Film Theory classes. I'd enjoy it a heck of a lot ore one sitting I think, but for now, I enjoyed it. Good action, intriguing storyline, and Weaving is awesome. A

will you watch the sequels?

Revolutions was the climax of two brilliant films and in my opnion the climaxses are always the best part because they are emotional, thrilling and in this very specific case, have powerful endings. I think people got mad because they totally changed the tone with MR, the first two made philosophical questions then the third one was all about action/finish the story, people turned into hipsters and said "meh, I don't like action, I like to think that I'm intelligent cause I like the ones with deep questions"

I watched both matrix sequels when I was 13 and was disappointed with Reloaded yet a loved Revolutions so I can see your point. There was a lot to admire and I was young enough to ignore the flaws of the 3rd movie. As for the first, it's definitely a classic. Truly a blockbuster with brains. A