#ED

Estimated Wknd Numbers - BD2(141.3M) Skyfall(41.5M) Lincoln(21M)

Regardless it doesn't represent an increase of any kind at this point. I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm just saying there is no indication of one. And as this is the finale, I would expect one.In that light, I'm disappointed slightly. I'm sure not buoyed by this number.

I never expected an increase here. Internationally I do. But it has never gone up or down significantly. And BD1's 10% drop is not significant imo. This series has established where it will land, give or take 10%. So the range is 280-315, imo, and it always has been.

HOW IS THIS DECEIVING? What were you guys expecting it to do?

I had a 150M OW prediction... I guess I may be ahead of myself by thinking this could hit 40M(10pm + midnight).

This is a phenomenal opening! The massacre last July had a huge impact on midnight shows and considering the demographic this film targets, I can only imagine how many parents didn't want their kids going to the late showings or how many adults would rather just wait until the next day. Despite this it still grossed $30m!!, that is wildly impressive.

Edited by Clavius
  • Like 2

I think it definitely is. Better for theaters, better for movie-goers. So unless demand for a movie is completely bonkers insane, I see fewer and fewer midnight shows and more and more 10pm shows.

Or, putting it another way, 10pm isn't adding to the total showtime, it's merely spreading what would've been the same number of shows over an earlier period of time.

Thank you.

New Nikke update!

FRIDAY 9 AM, 2ND UPDATE: Summit Entertainment reports that Breaking Dawn Part 2 opened in North America with $30.4 million from Thursday 10 PM and Friday midnight shows in over 3,000 theaters. This is a Twilight Saga best, earning slightly more than Breaking Dawn Part 1‘s $30.25M, Eclipse‘s $30M, or New Moon‘s $26.27M. Today, the final installment in the epic vampre franchise opens in 4,070 theaters. Now the question is whether it can exceed Breaking Dawn Part 1‘s $138.1M first weekend tally in U.S./Canada.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/breaking-dawn-part-2-sells-out-showtimes-as-final-twilight-saga-releases-at-midnight/

• Like 1

From other thread but:Does that mean we won't know the 10pm/midnight split? Or that Summitt is lumping it all into the OW? What do most think? $20m previews/$10m midnight maybe.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Hopefully it underperforms and makes less than 140/250m.

making less than 140 mill for OW is not underperforming. And I'll guarantee it will not make less than 250.

New Nikke update!

FRIDAY 9 AM, 2ND UPDATE: Summit Entertainment reports that Breaking Dawn Part 2 opened in North America with $30.4 million from Thursday 10 PM and Friday midnight shows in over 3,000 theaters. This is a Twilight Saga best, earning slightly more than Breaking Dawn Part 1‘s $30.25M, Eclipse‘s $30M, or New Moon‘s $26.27M. Today, the final installment in the epic vampre franchise opens in 4,070 theaters. Now the question is whether it can exceed Breaking Dawn Part 1‘s $138.1M first weekend tally in U.S./Canada.

http://www.deadline....es-at-midnight/

Amazing how midnights have stayed flat throughout the course of the franchise. This number also proves there is little difference in opening a movie at 10PM. vs. midnight.
  • Like 1

I am sure BOM will split the number. They have always done so for 10PM previews. Only question is will it be absolutely accurate. I am too sure about that. There could be some "fudging" to bump up its 3-day number.

The difference now though is, the 10pm's took some slots away from midnights, so I don't think the 10pms were additional showtimes, but they were in place of showtimes.
  • Like 2

Hopefully it underperforms and makes less than 140/250m.

I wouldn't waste your timing wishing that the last installment of a franchise underperforms. Any "damage" you think the franchise may have caused has already happened and btw there isn't any--there is nothing wrong with a blockbuster series that inspires millions of young people to read. In fact, it is very good!
  • Like 1