73 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

When the tiger jumped out, the whole of the audience gave one loud shriek. Probably the biggest jump scene of the year as it was TOTALLY unexpected.

I literally threw off my 3D glasses and shouted "OH SHIT!" and so did the rest of the audience!
  • Like 2

When the tiger jumped out, the whole of the audience gave one loud shriek. Probably the biggest jump scene of the year as it was TOTALLY unexpected.

Funny (and somewhat embarrassing) thing is, when that happened, I was the one who jumped back and grabbed my girlfriend... not the other way around :S
  • Like 2

While Life of Pi is a very well-made movie in its own right, it consistently feels more like an experience than a movie. The film, like the novel it's based on, is less concerned with a traditional plot than it is with tracing the title character's spiritual journey. While this focus will not necessarily click with all viewers, it certainly worked for me. I liked the style in the early-going, I was riveted throughout the stretch of the film that takes place on the boat, and I thought the twist at the end was a clever one that didn't diminish the power of what had come earlier. It's a testament to what a strong job Suraj Sharma does in front of the camera and Ang Lee and fellow filmmakers behind it in that I was never once bored despite the fact that half of the movie is comprised of one human and one tiger on a boat together. The film also has some of the most effective use of 3D technology to date, to the point where it works in harmony with what's on the screen rather than distracting from it; even the scene where Richard Parker unexpectedly leaps at the screen - which could be a cheap 3D money shot in lesser hands - has fantastic effect here. And man, the CGI work on Richard Parker is stunning. Logistically, there's no way a real tiger could have been used for most of the film (at least if the filmmakers wanted Pi and Richard Parker in the same shot without post-production tinkering), but the CGI in the film is so effective that it's often easy to forget that he's a computer creation. And thankfully, the film does justice to the spiritual focus of the novel, which goes a long way toward tying the events in the first act together with the rest of the film. Few movies this year came close to delivering an experience as rich and powerful as the one I had while watching this one.

A-

• Like 1

Some silly woman had brought her baby to watch the film with her in my cinema and it cried like a bugger after that scene.

Awesome movie...near masterpiece...thank you Ang Lee for this. The story, visuals and acting everything was great. As of now among top 5 of the year (yet to watch Lincoln, ZDT and DU)Agree with Webslinger that it feels more like an experience than a movie.I am glad that I watched this in theater.9/10

The crux of this film is about God and faith... you as a viewer, just as you would follow any faith, are supposed to determine what story you choose to believe. The gruesome, matter-of-fact story with no fantastical elements, or the story that has transfixed you for two hours. The one where God listens to Pi's plea for help and gives him rest and a means to continue his journey. The one that SHOULD NOT be filmable but was still brought to life somehow. The viewers know the situation is the same in both stories- the humans have the same roles as the animals, both are coming of ages stories (Pi = tiger), the ship still sunk in both stories- but the journalist chooses the 'better' story, the one that resonates with him more. I truly believe that this film is Lee's commentary on narratives and fictional storytelling. In films you are enthralled with characters and situations that aren't real and probably couldn't happen in real life, but the end of Life of Pi is a gutpunch. You're reminded that reality is far more serious. But you choose to 'believe' or follow whole-heartedly the better story. Or not. So it goes with God, so it goes with cinema. A second viewing has elevated this to 'masterpiece' levels for me. Sharma's performance, Magee's screenplay and Westernhofer's technical work are all incredible, but the story of the film is Lee. What a masterful filmmaker.

• Like 10

The start was disappointing for me, but once the ship sinks it becomes incredible. I'm so glad I saw this in 3D just for the Tiger jump scene. I screamed like a little girl. That was seriously the most terrifying moment in my life. :lol:

This movie was so intense for a PG movie too. I felt sorry for the 7-8 year-old kids that were in the theatre. The animals eating each other was even hard for me to sit through, and the movie got really emotionally heavy in some scenes.

I must say, this deserves Visual Effects, Score and Cinematography awards when it wins them. Beat everything else in 2012 in those three categories.

I love the fact that we get two sides of the story too.

A/A-

• Like 1

The crux of this film is about God and faith... you as a viewer, just as you would follow any faith, are supposed to determine what story you choose to believe. The gruesome, matter-of-fact story with no fantastical elements, or the story that has transfixed you for two hours. The one where God listens to Pi's plea for help and gives him rest and a means to continue his journey. The one that SHOULD NOT be filmable but was still brought to life somehow. The viewers know the situation is the same in both stories- the humans have the same roles as the animals, both are coming of ages stories (Pi = tiger), the ship still sunk in both stories- but the journalist chooses the 'better' story, the one that resonates with him more.I truly believe that this film is Lee's commentary on narratives and fictional storytelling. In films you are enthralled with characters and situations that aren't real and probably couldn't happen in real life, but the end of Life of Pi is a gutpunch. You're reminded that reality is far more serious. But you choose to 'believe' or follow whole-heartedly the better story. Or not. So it goes with God, so it goes with cinema.A second viewing has elevated this to 'masterpiece' levels for me. Sharma's performance, Magee's screenplay and Westernhofer's technical work are all incredible, but the story of the film is Lee. What a masterful filmmaker.

I must disagree, the line at the end "and so it is with God" (whatever it was) felt like it was supposed to be the crescendo, the thematic capstone of the film and I don't think they managed that. There are references to religion and God at the start of the film, but then they sort of forget about it for most of the time in the lifeboat. Yeah he does scream at God in the second storm, but that felt kind of like a natural thing, like what most people would say in that kind of situation. And then they forget about it again until the end where they realised "damn we have to pay off all the religion stuff" and they tacked that on. It was an unnatural progression.They could've made a film where in that world God actually exists, but they drop that with the real story of what happened. Or they could've ditched God entirely and just had it be "which story did you like more?". So for me, that final line was a WTF? moment.Maybe I just would've preferred a straight-out fantasy film.

The thing I love about "Life Of Pi" is that its themes aren't about being religious, but just having hope and courage in the most bleak of situations. It's beautifully stated, and I applaud Lee for preventing the film from going overboard. (no pun intended)

I'd certainly like to revisit this film.

my thoughts while watching LIFE OF PI 

haha he got his name from the word pool in french!
this bit made me lol "my name went from piscine to pissing"...
i read many books in that collection "bibliotheque verte" he's reading in schoolyard!
lol "we get to feel guilty before hundreds of gods instead of just one"
i had no idea gerard depardieu was in this !!!!

ughh i suffer from motion sickness ,watching the kid in that rough sea! 

....some point after that i started dosing off, you know when you're sort of sleeping but you can hear the movie, plus the motion of the sea was like a hypnosis pendulum

i feel like the kid , i survived a shipwreck only instead of finding an island , it was my sister calling me from the other room that woke me up, after that i made a conscious effort to stay awake plus the scene where he explains to the guy what the island was ,was helpful any scene in "civilization" had my attention more !

i'm glad i watched it though with deadline of oscar ceremony spurring me otherwise i just don't know!

i'll say though the end where he gives the story that actually happens is so jarring from rest of film , that you go hmmm am i hearing correctly? 
clearly this film makes for better viewing on a 2nd repeat when you know what actually happened 

the entire film i was like seriously a hyena, a zebra, an orang-outan , a rat and a bengal tiger....the thing is until i heard the end in the hospital i didnt care for the kid or the animals at all
  • Like 1