Olive

ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS | 5/27/16 | If anyone cares, there is an RT watch in this thread apparently.

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I don't get how people listen to critics sometimes.

"I loved that movie but the critics hated it, that's because critics have no idea that they're talking about"

"I'm not seeing that movie because critics gave it bad reviews"

:WHATanabe:

I don't get it either. People can see a movie themselves without basically being told by movie critic to see a movie or not. Why people like being dictated by movie critics is beyond me. It really ticks me off when people are influenced by movie critics to not see a movie in theaters.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sean B said:

I don't get it either. People can see a movie themselves without basically being told by movie critic to see a movie or not. Why people like being dictated by movie critics is beyond me. It really ticks me off when people are influenced by movie critics to not see a movie in theaters.

Im watching both Ninja Turtles and Warcraft.

Fuck the critics!

• Like 5

Depp isn't something that effected this films box office revenue. What did effect its box office revenue was the bad reviews. People pay way too much attention to movie reviews. I bet that 90% to 95% of the people that won't see or haven't seen this movie, is because they believe its bad reviews that it doesn't really deserve. It is better a movie then its being given credit for.

Haven't seen the film yet, but I want to agree with you. I hoped better succcess for this film, but bad reviews are not entirely to blame. Compare for example to The Finest Hour; decent RT and total dud in BO, and maybe the Nice Guys; excellent RT and DOM BO doesn't look too shabby.

And with Alice2 the meh WOM does not help either. My interpretation is that it has been seen by people who really were looking forward to it, and even they thought it was "just ok".

On the bright side, all the movies I have seen this year have made it over $700 million WW, and I WILL be going to see Alice2 when on holiday. So $700 million locked [emoji1]

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kowhite said:

Im...going to disagree.

Im not sure I understand what's up...but I have a feeling Depp is kinda toxic to box office.  Like...I think some people are not watching movies simply cause he's in it.  He can beat it...but...I think it's real.

So...not agreeing.  I don't think it's just the movie.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. It is the reviews that caused this film to flop. If it hadn't gotten as many bad reviews as it did or any bad reviews for that matter, then this film would have done much better in the box office then it has so far. Depp is not a fault here, who is at fault here is the critics. As I said before, People pay too much attention to the movie critics.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kowhite said:

Im watching both Ninja Turtles and Warcraft.

Fuck the critics!

That's the spirit ! :D 

3 minutes ago, ttr said:

Haven't seen the film yet, but I want to agree with you. I hoped better succcess for this film, but bad reviews are not entirely to blame. Compare for example to The Finest Hour; decent RT and total dud in BO, and maybe the Nice Guys; excellent RT and DOM BO doesn't look too shabby.

And with Alice2 the meh WOM does not help either. My interpretation is that it has been seen by people who really were looking forward to it, and even they thought it was "just ok".

On the bright side, all the movies I have seen this year have made it over $700 million WW, and I WILL be going to see Alice2 when on holiday. So $700 million locked emoji1.png

Yeah, Bad reviews are not 'entirely' to blame for its failure but they are 'mostly' to blame for its failure. 

• Like 2

Depp's clearly toxic at the BO - not sure how anyone could argue otherwise. Before Alice, one might have been able to argue that his string of flops weren't the big, shiny fantasy movies where he is (was) a draw, like Pirates, Alice or Charlie. But Alice was. It's a bright, light fantasy spectacle with Depp playing a crazy character. Ten years ago that would mean a big hit, now people won't poke it with a stick.

Depp is most certainly BO poison.

• Like 6

On the lower end, Black Mass did well.

53m budget, 63m dom. 100m ww.

Actors like him can comeback with one hit.

Don't know what role, movie, franchise is around the corner.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

It's a bright, light fantasy spectacle with Depp playing a crazy character.

no, Alice 2 is a sequel that nobody wanted from a movie that people were indifferent at best, that looked terrible from the previews and was indeed terrible. And this movie's marketing, unlike the original's, which had Depp's face all over it, was focused on Alice. Depp clearly took the back seat.

poison? what was his last movie that looked appealing? he just isn't the draw that he once was (I would argue that he was never a draw to begin with, but that's another discussion entirely)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Depp's clearly toxic at the BO - not sure how anyone could argue otherwise. Before Alice, one might have been able to argue that his string of flops weren't the big, shiny fantasy movies where he is (was) a draw, like Pirates, Alice or Charlie. But Alice was. It's a bright, light fantasy spectacle with Depp playing a crazy character. Ten years ago that would mean a big hit, now people won't poke it with a stick.

What about critical poison/toxic?

Didn't some of his recent movies got lesser reception?

• Like 1

I saw this film yesterday in LiMAX 3D. It wasn't the worst film I've ever seen by a long shot, and had some reasonably entertaining moments. But overall, it was just too much of a "mess". Lots of random flashes of light spraying all over the place for little rhyme or reason. And there was no need to spend $20m on Depp for his role, he added nothing to the proceedings.

Overall, 4/10 stars.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Just because this movie flopped doesn't make Depp toxic at the box office. 

• Like 1

Finally saw this today in 3D. I liked it a lot, much better than the first one (I have seen the first one only in HV, so can't really compare). Very colourful and pretty, imo the visuals looked better than in the Jungle Book. The score was also good. Don't really understand why people mock the plot so much, I think it was good althou pretty straightforward with no real twists. But I think in a movie like this there is no need for twists and turns. Also liked the idea how one small incident can have large consequences and that one cannot change the past; basic rules of life.

Overall really entertaining with happy ending what more can one want as life itself is too complicated. Hell, I liked this so much that I was even happy to see the "Eragon-guy" in one of the smaller roles :)    

Edit: SBC and HBC were brilliant, Johnny not so (I did not like the Mad Hatter in the first either). Alice was solid.

Edited by ttr

On the Target website through Google Chrome it says 10/17 whereas on Target website through Internet Exporer it says 10/18. It would be great to know which one is legitimate. 

Target website on Google Chrome:
2mzh8w8.jpg

Target websute on Internet Explorer: 
28vrl1v.jpg

Edited by Sean B