Olive

ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS | 5/27/16 | If anyone cares, there is an RT watch in this thread apparently.

Burton's producing and Colleen Atwood is back after winning an Oscar for the first movie.

“My head is getting even bigger, I think,” Carter joked about returning as the Red Queen, laughing again. “I just went for my first costume fitting, and it was nice to see Colleen [Atwood], it’ll be nice to see everybody.” 

That everybody includes co-stars Johnny Depp and Mia Wasikowska, but not Tim Burton, who directed the first movie. Even with her creative — and life — partner’s absence from the film, Carter has no concerns about returning to Wonderland. 

“No, none whatsoever,” Carter said when asked if she was worried about Burton’s nonappearance. “[Director] James Bobin seems to be really interesting, and fired up and excited. Tim’s producing it, and we just felt like, he’s done it. You can’t spend two years of your life doing something unless you’re one hundred percent enthusiastic about it.” 

http://www.mtv.com/news/1853018/helena-bonham-carter-harry-potter-bell atrix-lestrange-interview/

$62 million OW/$78 million 4 day$28 million ($123 million)$15 million ($149 million)$6 million ($160 million)$4 million ($167 million)$2 million ($171 million)$180 million DOM totalDon't know why Disney is wasting time on this

This

I also think that if this film is at least half decent, it could crawl to 200M, but 190 is probably the ceiling if this gets the same reception as the last (I personally didn't hate it but I can see the problems), with 150 being the floor

Maleficent #s overseas is possible, if not probable. Could see it hitting 500M though

This

I also think that if this film is at least half decent, it could crawl to 200M, but 190 is probably the ceiling if this gets the same reception as the last (I personally didn't hate it but I can see the problems), with 150 being the floor

Sometimes I don't get these forums.

It made over 330 million DOM and 1 billion WW and won 2 oscars.

If it gets the same reception as the last one I think Disney will be happy.

Sometimes I don't get these forums.

It made over 330 million DOM and 1 billion WW and won 2 oscars.

If it gets the same reception as the last one I think Disney will be happy.

I see this dropping, but by how much depends on the quality of the film. I'm hoping for a better received film. I mean sure, it did well upon release, but nobody really cared for it later on. It'd be one of those sequels that no one asked for.

I definitely see a 75-80 4 day take for this, and let's say it get's around the same multiplier as the 1st (going off the 4 day take instead of the 3 day) you'd get 220M

While sure that could happen, if it's good, Disney would have to be careful about the release date. Memorial Day 2016, with X-Men opening against it, probably won't bode well for the film. If Disney can get a better date, and pull off a stellar marketing campaign AND boast good reviews, 220 is in play. However, as it stands now, I see this performing like a moderate blockbuster, at least domestically... so 190M for now. But i'd honestly be happy to be proven wrong by Disney  :)

But maybe not in a summer like summer 2016.

Agreed.Batman vs Superman and Cap 3 will lower demand for a kids movie (between them, you've probably got one kids movie) X-Men is going to take away from Alice slightlyIt's been 6 years - this will be met with "who cares?" A little movie of Disney's called Finding Dory is going to prevent Alice from ever getting solid legs like MaleficentSeems like Disney just trying to keep Depp around Less than 200m is very likely at this point
  • Like 2

What are they going to tell this time?

Alice is going back to Wonderland again? For?

Well, I imagine they would start with...the book Through the Looking Glass...which is the sequel book to Alice in Wonderland.  As for why go back?  Honestly, it's not like the source material ever had much of a reason beyond curiosity.

• Like 1