baumer

50 Films Better than TDKR in 2012

Okay so Mr Marston. Why do people pick apart TDKR, but not TDK.

Explain that one for us?

The Dark Knight does get picked apart, and it has been picked apart since 2008. I think Rises takes more heat because it was coming off a massive hit that a lot of people loved, whereas The Dark Knight was coming off of what was "merely" a very well-liked reboot. Expectations were so ridiculously high that there was bound to be disappointment and viewers ready to pick it apart for not being exactly the movie they envisioned it would be.

In response to the direction this thread has gone in: I really, really, really like The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers, but I think it's silly to suggest that either of them (or any movie, for that matter) should be exempt from being picked and pulled apart.

• Like 1

Ah, BKB, money doesn't mean quality at all.If so, Transformers and Twilight would be among the best films of all time. No one in this world agrees with that besides baumer.

I liked both series, but I'd be the first to say they were mediocre.

Ah, BKB, money doesn't mean quality at all.If so, Transformers and Twilight would be among the best films of all time. No one in this world agrees with that besides baumer.

Apparently, when compares TA to other films that grossed less, money actually means quality. But when comparing to Avatar and Titanic, money is suddenly meaningless.The biased always finds a way to be biased. Edited by vc2002
  • Like 2

The Dark Knight does get picked apart, and it has been picked apart since 2008. I think Rises takes more heat because it was coming off a massive hit that a lot of people loved, whereas The Dark Knight was coming off of what was "merely" a very well-liked reboot. Expectations were so ridiculously high that there was bound to be disappointment and viewers ready to pick it apart for not being exactly the movie they envisioned it would be.

I disagree, expectations among the internet crowd were very high for TDK due in part to the excellent marketing campaign, the highly popular first movie and of course, tragically, Heath Ledgers death. Movies don't open to 200M or so without a shit ton of hype behind them.

And yes, people do pick that movie apart, but not in the same way as TDKR. Baumer didn't write a post back in 2008 saying that there were 50 better movies than TDK including such amazing films as the original twilight. The reasons he gave for TDKR sucking were based around the plot not making any sense ( I disagree with him, but this is his opinion, that is fine). But you can make the case that TDK has as big if not bigger WTF moments then its sequel.

For example, Baumer says it doesn't make sense that Batman can find his way back from the pit to Gotham. That isn't a problem for me. We know Bruce Wayne is a resource and well trained guy who probably has contacts all over the world who can help him out and we (the audience) didn't need to see the exact how as to how it was done. The movie was long enough already. What is more of a problem for me is explaining how in the fuck did the Joker wire up a hospital with explosives, or two ferries with explosives, when people were already on high alert from previous bombings and threats with NO-ONE noticing. That seems like the kind of logical flaw that would ruin TDKR for him, but for whatever reason gets a pass for TDK.

Ultimately what I'm trying to say is that if TDKR did not work for you, thats fine, but try to think deeper about your criticisms and why it didn't entertain you like TDK did.

Edited by Phil in the Skyfall
  • Like 2