DAR

Watching Star Wars in a new way.

Sounds intresting, I think I'll read about this in a bit.Me and my parents showed my nephew who is now 8 the Star Wars films a few years back starting with the OT first. (We had to fast foward through a few parts though that would scare him, he can watch them all now). He loves them, he finally saw ROTS which was the only one he never saw. He also loves Pirates, Pixar/Disney, Iron Man and tons of other films. (And Mario)Yep I'm a good uncle. :D

I think the prequels are unfairly maligned. They were never going to match what we saw for the first time with the original trilogy. But there are some many good things that they outweigh the bad.

I was gonna ask whether a first time viewer (me) should watch them in the original order, or go with the prequels first. Thoughts?

I'm a bit torn on this. Ordinarily, I would recommend either going in release order or going in the following order (which was the subject of the series of articles linked in the first post, but you really shouldn't read them unless you already know everything about the series): Star Wars (a.k.a. A New Hope), Empire Strikes Back, Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, Return of the Jedi. In the latter case, the prequels sort of act as a prolonged flashback sequence and you still get to end the series on a high note with Return of the Jedi.However, with the re-release of Phantom Menace imminent, there is an argument to be made for starting by watching Phantom Menace first, on the big screen, since that's probably the best way to experience any of these movies. And if you see Phantom Menace first . . . going on with the other prequels is probably the easiest way to continue. Though I don't think Phantom Menace really spoils anything in the original trilogy, so you could still go back to those before going on with the other two prequels -- if jumping around in time like that wouldn't confuse you too much.I think it may come down to how much you already know about the series. If the big reveals of the original trilogy have already been spoiled for you (which would hardly be surprising, unfortunately), then there's no real harm in watching the prequels first, so you should probably take advantage of the chance to see Phantom Menace on the big screen. But if you're lucky enough that you're going into this with only a vague idea of the story, then, while you should catch Phantom Menace in the theater if you can, I would highly recommend you watch the original trilogy (or, at a minimum, Star Wars and ESB) before you watch the prequels (or, at the very least, before you watch Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith).Hope that helps a bit. Have fun! Edited by Chrestomanci

All I know is "Luke I am your father" but other than that I am completely oblivious. Thanks for the input. If I get to them before TPM comes out I'll probably watch them in release order, but if not then I'll try the article's order.