iceroll

Weekend #s Hobbit 84.7 ROG 7.4 Linc 7.2 Sky 7.0 Pi 5.4 BD2 5.2 pg 90

If Skyfall follows CR from here on, it will finish with 306.4M.If BD2 follows NM from here on, it will finish with 299.8MIf BD2 follows BD1 from here on, it will finish with 293.4M

It's a lock for both. BD2 has held much better than NM and if it really gets that close Summit will push this over.

Best Case:

Fri: 37.5

Sat: 28.0

Sun: 19.5

Weekend: 85M

Worst Case:

Fri: 37.5

Sat: 26.0

Sun: 15.5

Weekend: 79M

That's pretty conservative for best case, as we know, that Imax 3D movies can have very strong sunday holds. And as for saturday bump: We don't have a compareable case for a movie in december with such a big midnight number.

If it plays like a family movie after a massive fanboy midnight, then a 25% bump could still be in play, even if Narnia just had a 10% bump. It's unlikely, but that's what a "best case" should be.

I would say:

Best Case:

--------

95m

Agreed BD2 was equal to NM's Thursday but still managed to have a bigger Friday jump and thus a much bigger weekend. It is anyways running ahead of NM and Summit will be fool if they stop BD2 at $299m. Skyfall should cross $300m as well but anything above that is still up in the air with Jack Reacher so close it can see another weekend with big drop though it can recover over holidays it could still be just equal out BD2 in the end.What I am seeing is the Skyfall will do $302m-$305m whereas BD2 will finish with $300m.

• Like 2

Could THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG do it?

I know the same has been said a lot about AUJ, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't. I think it can jump to a $45m Friday and, from there on, to a $105-110m OW. I'd hesitate to predict more though.A lot is going to depend on Smaug, I think - if they really up the stakes as far as the confrontation with him is concerned and indicate so in the promos, a $100m OW will be substantially easier to do.

Agreed BD2 was equal to NM's Thursday but still managed to have a bigger Friday jump and thus a much bigger weekend. It is anyways running ahead of NM and Summit will be fool if they stop BD2 at $299m. Skyfall should cross $300m as well but anything above that is still up in the air with Jack Reacher so close it can see another weekend with big drop though it can recover over holidays it could still be just equal out BD2 in the end.What I am seeing is the Skyfall will do $302m-$305m whereas BD2 will finish with $300m.

Agree completely. Under no scenario do I see BD2 missing 300M. It would have to completely collapse over the Christmas holidays and that's not realistic.

I know the same has been said a lot about AUJ, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't. I think it can jump to a $45m Friday and, from there on, to a $105-110m OW. I'd hesitate to predict more though.A lot is going to depend on Smaug, I think - if they really up the stakes as far as the confrontation with him is concerned and indicate so in the promos, a $100m OW will be substantially easier to do.

Yes, SMAUG is the selling point of part ll. THE HOBBIT: AUJ without it is making 85 M - 90 M. Part ll is gonna be bigger.

The multiplex I manage was a ghost town yesterday and so far today. The films negative reviews, combined with christmas shopping, and the mood of the nation as a whole is keeping people out of theaters this weekend. Expect huge drops Saturday and Sunday.

• Like 1

Yikes, a 24.5M Friday excluding midnights. That is underwhelming. Still, Christmas holidays should give this a very nice boost.....I always said this had potential to do more than 400M, but that it pretty much relied entirely on quality. The film itself is good, but I don't see people raving about this the same way audiences did back in 2001 and 2002 with LOTR. So, at the moment it looks like this is heading towards 320-340M. Which is a respectable haul for a prequel that doesn't even come close to living up to LOTR.

Edited by Mr Potter

The multiplex I manage was a ghost town yesterday and so far today. The films negative reviews, combined with christmas shopping, and the mood of the nation as a whole is keeping people out of theaters this weekend. Expect huge drops Saturday and Sunday.

The movie is not getting negative reviews. Just underwhelming. Now Red Dawn is getting negative reviews!
  • Like 1

Narnia did 23M on OD and finished with 291.7m.

TH1 did 24.525 OD excluding midnights, with the same multiplier, it calculates to 311M. Add 13M for midnights and you get 324M...... IF IT CAN MANAGE NARNIA LEGS.

Comparing it with IAL yields 234M..... though that is too low.