filmnerdjamie

Wednesday Numbers (12/26)

Harvey did an amazing job with SLP. It was tracking like shit and a full release would've meant a weak opening. It would've stabilized because of good WOM and right when the WOM was kicking in it would've lost half of its theaters to Christmas movies. There is a reason Harvey is who he is and SLP will be in 2000 theaters when awrds season begins in earnest in mid-January.

While I agree that there was soft tracking for SLP, he could've added theaters during the week of December 14. It only dropped 2% that weekend.

I think Skyfall hits 300-302 and BD2 will do about 293-295.

BD2 is running way behind BD1 now and that one only made 8,5m from here, so more like 290/291m i would guess...But i guess that's because of much bigger competition this year, BD2 is in way less theaters over christmas, than BD1 was.

BD2 is running way behind BD1 now and that one only made 8,5m from here, so more like 290/291m i would guess...But i guess that's because of much bigger competition this year, BD2 is in way less theaters over christmas, than BD1 was.

How is it running behind BD1 now since it has already passed it?
  • Like 1

How is it running behind BD1 now since it has already passed it?

I believe that means it is making less than BD1 was making on the same daytoo bad BD2 won't hit 300m. Even though I don't care for Twilight, it feels like the finale should have been able to reach that mark Edited by John Marston

I believe that means it is making less than BD1 was making on the same daytoo bad BD2 won't hit 300m. Even though I don't care for Twilight, it feels like the finale should have been able to reach that mark

Way too strong competition. 290M + 550M, it had a great run overall.

I believe that means it is making less than BD1 was making on the same daytoo bad BD2 won't hit 300m. Even though I don't care for Twilight, it feels like the finale should have been able to reach that mark

But for something to fall behind something indicates that it is no longer keeping the same pace and that is not true in this instance. BD2 was much stronger out of the gate and now it is easing off. It has passed BD1 before the new year, so it is not behind it at all.And yes, the finale didn't hit 300 but it is going to make more than 100 mill more than the best Twilight WW, pretty nice.

• Founder / Operator

Damn, tarrintino is on a roll. One of the few directors at the mo who can advertise his movie with his name alone.

Its been a slow burn over two decades, but I'm glad to see his brand selling like it is. Before Basterds, it was the total opposite.

But for something to fall behind something indicates that it is no longer keeping the same pace and that is not true in this instance. BD2 was much stronger out of the gate and now it is easing off. It has passed BD1 before the new year, so it is not behind it at all.

Baumer, you pretty well understood what my posting was about, even without mentioning the word "dailies" in it, as there was no other way to interpret it.

Damn, tarrintino is on a roll. One of the few directors at the mo who can advertise his movie with his name alone.

Which is especially comforting after the failure of Grindhouse. Between that, the very mixed early reactions to IB from Cannes and the latter film being very different from what was advertised, there was a period of time when I thought he was on a verge of completely losing his connection with mainstream audiences. That all changed when the Friday number for IB came out... and now that connection is stronger than ever, as his earlier films also continue to age well.

• Founder / Operator

I think a major part of Tarantino's newfound blockbuster success is partly explained by his audience coming of age. Sure, Pulp Fiction was a major box office success in its day, but even the very popular Kill Bill was never able to replicate that success financially. Those who discovered him in the late 90s and early 2000s now make up the adult and 20-something audience that spend money on his movies. On top of that, he's making more prolific movies now with box office stars and his own consistent reputation backing them.The man's earned it. If Django were to be his last film, film historians will have no shortage of credit in 50 years to give Quentin for his impact on cinema.

• Like 1