Monsters Inc.

31 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Monsters Inc.

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This to me, is top 4 in the Pixar catalogue, along with Wall E, Up, Toy Story 3. For me, anyways. The film is easily the most entertaining along with with The Incredibles, but surpasses it in my eyes, because of the emotional impact is has. The Boo storyline with Sully made this more than just a fun film. Great film.

A charming and wonderful film. Problem is it comes from a studio that's made plenty of charming and wonderful films. The fact I'm giving this an A- and I consider this in the lower rung for Pixar shows how highly I regard their films

Monsters, Inc. is Pixar’s most creative world. The most impressive aspect is just how it builds the world and how insanely smart it all works together. Goodman and Crystal’s vocal chemistry is off the charts, and the plot moves quickly despite its complexity. Newman’s score is really nice too, and the animation is a huge leap forward from anything Pixar had done yet. The emotional backbone is there but could be a bit more developed. Still, Monsters, Inc. puts forward an ambition in scale and in creativity that Pixar movies had not yet been truly known for and stands today as one of their most purely enjoyable features. A

Starting a sort of Pixar marathon but I'm gonna skip a few that I've already seen way too many times, like the Toy Story movies and Finding Nemo. So it's more like a random Pixar binge watch due to the fact that I have an active Disney+ subscription.

Kicking it off with this one what I liked the most about this movie were the themes and the great characterization of both the protagonists and villain.

It's a fun movie with lots of heart and imaginative sequences. It tricks you into forgetting that it's quite disturbing that the (likable) protagonist is in fact scaring children for a living. All day, every day. Out of sight, out of mind, as they say?

There are a few plot conveniences but it's a well-made movie, if perhaps a bit formulaic and unmemorable. Great ending though.

Doesn't hold a candle to the best of what Pixar has to offer however, in my opinion. Curious to see the sequel!

B