baumer

Dr. Strangelove

19 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Sterling Hayden also deserves a mention. His character is so calm, collected and clearly believing all the insane shit he says that it's easier, in a way, to imagine him in the real world than others - which makes him not just funny but really kind of frightening.

Hard to imagine a major studio allowing this to be made today -- and back then it was the height of the Cold War!

Seriously. I was amazed when I realized that it came out in January 1964, which means it was likely shot the previous summer - less than a year (!) after we nearly blew the world apart.

In the Loop is probably the closest recent satire we have to Strangelove, but it wasn't made by Hollywood and the budget on it was pretty tiny, plus the invasion of Iraq had happened 6 years before it came out. 

Saw this at Arclight last night for the first time. Can't believe they got away with this during the cold war, I can see why it was such a big hit.

As for me I enjoyed it but I didn't think it was the greatest thing ever, just my age showing haha.

B (84)

Its one of those movies Im sure will grow on me over time.

Edited by Jay Hollywood

10 / 10My second favorite Kubrick film after 2001, and one of my favorite movies period. Excellent satire on nuclear war and bombs and the military, and absolutely hilarious, with clever dialogue. Sellers is brilliant in three different roles (easily his best performance) and George C. Scott is also great. The rest of the cast including Hayden, Wynn and Pickens also turn in stellar performances.

Love the war room scene.

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 1