Impact

Snubbed performances of the 2000s

I think he was awesome in that but I feel the other two big dramatic roles at least matched it.Dicaprio - Shutter Island

I don't see any other actor who could have pulled off the last 15 minutes of Shutter Island which are excruciating emotionnally.

Adam Sandler really was startlingly good in PDL. I'm not a big fan of the movie but he blew me away. He's also good in Spanglish, in which he plays a much more normal and understated character

Edited by Jack Nevada

Leonardo DiCaprio and Jack Nicholson in The Departed. It's still a mystery to me how that movie won Best Picture, yet had just one acting nomination (and for Mark Wahlberg, no less). As such a major actor's movie with so many big, respected names in the cast, it's just weird that Marky Mark was their sole representative, especially when Leo and Nicholson (and Matt Damon and Vera Farmiga) were so good in it.

Scarlett Johansson in Lost in Translation. Many people forget just how good she was when she burst onto the scene. She was fantastic and remarkably naturalistic as a directionless and recently married young twentysomething... and she was a teenager at the time it was filmed. She hasn't had anything as great since, but no one should be surprised if/when she gets a baity role with depth and absolutely knocks it out of the park; the ability is there.

Leaping ahead to the 2010s: Ryan Gosling for Blue Valentine and Drive. Because duh. The Oscar he wins years down the road should have those two titles engraved next to the one he wins for. Ditto for Michael Fassbender with Shame.

A possible reason why Leonardo DiCaprio did not receive an Oscar nomination for his performance in this movie was because the Warner Bros. Studios initially did not want to favor DiCaprio over his co-stars and place him in the leading actor category. The studio favored DiCaprio's leading performance in Blood Diamond (which eventually got him a nomination). DiCaprio himself refused to campaign against his male co-stars in the supporting actor category, so Warner bought no supporting actor ads for DiCaprio, and he did not receive a nomination.

from IMDb

From what I knew, the studio wanted to push for DiCaprio to get nominated, but he refused saying that he didn't want to because he would be pushed for leading while Damon and Nicholson for supporting, but he considered they were just as important as he was.

From what I knew, the studio wanted to push for DiCaprio to get nominated, but he refused saying that he didn't want to because he would be pushed for leading while Damon and Nicholson for supporting, but he considered they were just as important as he was.

Right on, Leo. Seriously, it`s us fans who want that Oscar for him more than he does. I guess that from his POV it`s much better to be friends with all those legends and legends to be than elbow an Oscar for himself at the expense of his worthy co-stars. There`s gotta be a reason why he`s family friend of Spileberg, Scorcese and DDL who accepted Lincoln after Leo persuaded him (Spielberg talked about that in an interview and DDL confirmed it when he thanked Leo in his SAG speech). Class act.

Edited by fishnets