Plain Old Tele

AMC takes on "The Terror"!

Holy shit, this is awesome. AMC is adapting Dan Simmons' "The Terror" as a new series. Ridley Scott's production company is producing.

For those who aren't familiar with the book, it's "based" on the real-life story of Captain Franklin's 1845 search for the Northwest Passage with his ships HMS Erebus and HMS Terror. The expedition was lost with all hands and never heard from again. It's a great read, lots of intriguing and scary stuff.... the book comes across kinda like a mix of LOST and The Thing.

http://io9.com/5984286/amc-is-making-an-arctic+explorers+vs+monster-show-that-is-somehow-not-the-thing

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

I saw the first two episodes last night and I'm enjoying it.

It may have been my ears were a bit clogged but it took some getting used to what they were saying that I even had to put on closed captioning to stop from rewinding :P  But after a bit, I was able to turn that off.

Well, shit, episode 3 was really something. Read the book which is awesome. No wonder this is a ratings performer for AMC so far despite an ugly cast, ha, ha. Who'd think?

Anyway, my only concern is the same that I had with the book

romance, ugh. It was a tough sell in the book where you can imagine Francis to be younger and handsomer than he is (cause Silence was about 15, yikes), but damn this Mad Men dude! He's about 60+ and looking like a ginger toad! I dread their love scene more than Tuunbaq 

:ohmygod:

Edited by Valonqar

One episode deep, and I am thoroughly enjoying this seafaring yarn. Impeccable production value. Exemplary screenplay, and strong acting from UK's greatest character actors. My favorite piece of naval filmmaking since Master and Commander. Not that it was that hard to accomplish considering the competition, but it's a very good show all the same. If Harrris, Writing, and Cinematography are not nominated, I would be most surprised. People compare it to The Thing. I actually find it has more in common with the oft overlooked "Ravenous". A mixture of a dark chapter of mostly forgotten history with a dash of horror.

Edited by ThePhasmid

14 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

One episode deep, and I am thoroughly enjoying this seafaring yarn. Impeccable production value. Exemplary screenplay, and strong acting from UK's greatest character actors. My favorite piece of naval filmmaking since Master and Commander. Not that it was that hard to accomplish considering the competition, but it's a very good show all the same. If Harrris, Writing, and Cinematography are not nominated, I would be most surprised. People compare it to The Thing. I actually find it has more in common with the oft overlooked "Ravenous". A mixture of a dark chapter of mostly forgotten history with a dash of horror.

Cinematography has the best shot. As great as Harris is on this show, his category is pretty damn stacked by the look of it - McLachlan for playing multiple characters on Twin Peaks, Cumberbatch for playing a recovering addict (right down to losing weight for the role) and you bet there will be some movie stars who always have advantage over TV actors. 

As for writing, it's a genre show and such shows make it big only if they are ratings and/or critical phenomena.