Impact

Best Actress-2013

I wouldn't call Gravity a popcorn film, popular but it's still two people in space and more like a Castaway type of movie where it's really more of an acting challenge than a totally mindless summer thing. And with last year's acting winners all coming from +100m movies it's not like they refuse to vote for performances in movies that are well attended.

Equating popcorn films with mindlessness is a major flaw in your comment. The best popcorn films all have a strong mind to them as they are able to execute the action, adventure, thrills, characters, and story cleverly and efficiently.

On the surface Cast Away might seem an apt comparison, but when you compare Gravity and Cast Away, Cast Away is 50 minutes longer, has significantly less action/jolts in it, and has an extended post-rescue epilogue that is solely there to add additional depth to Hanks and the film's themes. It's a lot more meditative and slow-paced.

As for the Oscar winner film grosses of last year, you can't compare a period political drama with freakish legs or an epic period musical or a dark rom-com to Gravity in terms of similar reasons for their BO success. Django, while very popcorny in its Tarantino way, had lots of its peculiar, unique factors driving its BO success and Tarantino brings a huge name recognition that overcomes the genre nature of his films.

The point is, an acting win for Gravity is a huge uphill battle because throughout Oscar history, films like Gravity don't get acting awards and rarely get acting nominations.

• Like 1

As I said before-the only sci-fi to ever win an acting Oscar was Cocoon which was more of a honorary Oscar. (Though Gravity is more of a drama then a sci-fi I know, but we wont get into that again)

Gravity's not a drama. It has a couple dramatic moments for Bullock but really it's a sci-fi action/thriller.

Books about gravity, space travel, space shuttles are not next to Dune in librairies.

Look for them and be amazed by science !

Oscars: A Look At The Best Actress Front-Runners, Including Cate Blanchett, Sandra Bullock & Amy Adams

Gravity is a exceptionally well made popcorn movie imo

nothing wrong with that

It doesnt scream 'ZOMG give it all the AWARDS' type of movie to me

I thought Bullock's performance was a weak point of the movie.  Blind Side was probably the only movie where I thought her performance added to the film.  With that said, I know my opinion is in the minority here and she'll likely get nominated.  

well imo she was good but nowhere awards worthy

the howling scene actually got some unintentional laughs @ my theaterPosted Image

Emma looks likely

Super great buzz pre screening of 'Saving Mr Banks' in London :wub:

The prospect of Cate, Judy & Emma nominations makes me burst with excitement!

Edited by Leyla
  • Like 1

Books about gravity, space travel, space shuttles are not next to Dune in librairies.

Look for them and be amazed by science !

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064639/

^ Hey look, a film about 3 astronauts marooned in space with generally contemporary tech, and it's labeled a sci-fi!

Posted Image

Oh, not the sci-fi argument again, I just can't.

All I'm saying is that it's not like Sandra was in Transformers or something. Gravity's reviews are stellar and Sandra's gotten the best notices of her career. Not that I'm saying she'll win for sure, but I don't see it as as performance AMPAS would necessarily be allergic to voting for, just because it's set in space and not some low-budget indie drama with a dish-throwing scene.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

Oh, not the sci-fi argument again, I just can't.

All I'm saying is that it's not like Sandra was in Transformers or something. Gravity's reviews are stellar and Sandra's gotten the best notices of her career. Not that I'm saying she'll win for sure, but I don't see it as as performance AMPAS would necessarily be allergic to voting for, just because it's set in space and not some low-budget indie drama with a dish-throwing scene.

You're right, Gravity is not Transformers. No one has said that, ever.

But it's also not Children of Men, Cuaron's other sci-fi(ish) outing which got almost as good reviews and had a much more rich story, characters, and thematic presence, better acting, and which got only three Oscar noms (Adapted Screenplay, Editing, Cinematography). The only things Gravity has in its favor, IMO, in comparison are its box office (which is because of its popcorn nature allowing for its brilliant advertising) and its technical novelty.

• Like 1

You're right, Gravity is not Transformers. No one has said that, ever.

But it's also not Children of Men, Cuaron's other sci-fi(ish) outing which got almost as good reviews and had a much more rich story, characters, and thematic presence, better acting, and which got only three Oscar noms (Adapted Screenplay, Editing, Cinematography). The only things Gravity has in its favor, IMO, in comparison are its box office (which is because of its popcorn nature allowing for its brilliant advertising) and its technical novelty.

I didn't care for Children of Men at all, I'm not saying it's not badly done in any way, but the whole dystopian future thing, I'm not really a fan and find it nearly impossible to connect with movies/lit of the genre (the Hunger Games being an exception for some reason, I'm not saying THG is better, just that it doesn't leave me completely cold). So that Children of Men was a commercial flop and didn't win tons of Oscars, I can't say I'm surprised, I found it a very chilly/remote moviegoing experience as a whole. I think the story of one person trying to survive against incredible odds, will connect a lot better with AMPAS than CoM and its "bleak industrial future violent future where no one can have babies" scenario. Not as much as 12 Years a Slave will, but it's not a contender for Best Actress, so...

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

hmm are we debating Sandra's chances  a nom or win???

nom is almost certain but no way will the AMPAS vote her as a winner

imo ofc

at least hopefully they wont nominate Clooney :lol: thats what im afraid of

only things Gravity has in its favor, IMO, in comparison are its box office (which is because of its popcorn nature allowing for its brilliant advertising) and its technical novelty.

mte

Appears to be pretty good

http://www.hitfix.co...e-race#comments

hopefully will be even bigger after Sunday :wub:

(back to searching the film's thread in the general forum)

Edited by Leyla

AMPAS can easily vote for Bullock. This is a popularity contest after all and there are very few actors more popular than her. Blachett's disadvantage is that her movie came out months ago and we are still months away from the nominations. Dench is strong but there is nothing guaranteed about a movie like Philomena.  If the movie bombs and has no momentum then Bullock is automatically the front-runner.

• Like 2

Philomena bomb as in review wise? No chance of that happening. This will probably get The Queen level of reviews on RT. That's where it is headed atm. There hasn't been a single negative review/critical reaction either on MC or RT or unpublished yet, except for Guy Lodge's review. (And I don't get why he doesn't like it. HE didn't explain himself particularly well. Though I might be confusing this with a different movie) 

And BO wise, I don't think it'll do worse than Bext Exotic Marigold, and probably much better. This is a feel good movie and we're actually having a season of a lot of high profile feel-bads. 

• Like 1