Impact

Best Actress-2013

La Dench has got this. She is gonna win by miles in the end. Blanshitto's buzz has been so high for so long, I just can't see how SPC can sustain it all the way until Oscar Tuesday. SPC and Barker are very good, but they are still only second best and far from Weinstein. (Though I doubt Weinstein could do it either.) Just imagine what Weinstein could've done with Amour. Just think about it. Academy Award Winner Michael Haneke is Screenplay and Academy Award Winner Emmanuelle Riva and Academy Award Nominee Jean-Louis Trintignant and god knows what else. :(

still sad abt Jean Louie btw :( unfair

Amour def deserves much more

srsly dont know why anyone would hate Cate  this thing ill never get :wub:

she's my absolute fave

with Gravity's BO Bullock's position looks stronger rn

It would be perfect if smth absolutely crazy awesome like Brie Larson or Greta Gerwig happens :wub:

Edited by Leyla

Bullock just locked that nomination in my opinion. With Gravity's success it's hard to ignore her performance.

She might not win, but it was the performance of a lifetime for me. She was easily at her best. And this years double punch of The Heat & Gravity totally outshines 2009's The Proposal & The Blind Side.

Quickly morphing into the biggest female movie star in the world.

I thought Bullock's performance was a weak point of the movie.  Blind Side was probably the only movie where I thought her performance added to the film.  With that said, I know my opinion is in the minority here and she'll likely get nominated.  

• Like 1

LOL we're talking for the win and still have three months until nominations. Right now, it's an umpredictable race between 3-4 actresses. Even more when you take into account that those 4 actresses have won in recent years.

Also, we have yet to see two possibly strong contenders.

LOL we're talking for the win and still have three months until nominations. Right now, it's an umpredictable race between 3-4 actresses. Even more when you take into account that those 4 actresses have won in recent years.

Also, we have yet to see two possibly strong contenders.

But sometimes it's like that. As soon as Lincoln was seen it was a wrap for DDL despite people trying to that. Not that Sandra's performance will be regarded that highly, but AMPAS gave her an Oscar the first moment she made something where they could nominate her for Best Actress (people point out that Cate's been nominated so much more than Sandra as if to imply AMPAS likes her more, but what was Sandra going to get nominated for prior to The Blind Side? Miss Congeniality, The Lake House, the second Truman Capote movie that made, like, $1m? Even Oscar voters have some standards), and she beat out Meryl with great reviews that year. Why wouldn't Sandra win for a better performance in a Best Picture contender?

Yeah, yeah, it would be two Best Actress trophies, but Hilary Swank has that and Bullock is a much bigger star. You would think that if Adams could get in and the rest of the lineup is previous winners, that she would be the frontrunner, but the early reports from say she's overshadowed by JLaw (not in the same category but if you're not the standout actress in your own movie it's not the greatest case to get people to vote you in as Best Actress). I'm not personally saying Sandra is a lock to win myself, but I understand why people might feel that way.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

Compare Sandra's performance in Gravity to Day Lewis' performance in Lincoln is crazy

I only brought up DDL in Lincoln to point out that sometimes the race is over months in advance. Not to say that Sandra in Gravity will be regarded the same way as DDL/Lincoln because it won't, but she could be just much of a lock for a win now, though for different reasons. If she'd lost to Meryl for 2009, this year's Actress race would be over already for sure. If she wins a few critics' awards and Critics' Choice/Globes, it's pretty much over. I wouldn't be surprised to see a replay of four years ago where Sandra's momentum is utterly obvious but the actressexual Oscar watching crowd is in handwringing denial about it and clinging to all hope that it won't happen. Maybe I'm biased because I'm kind of rooting for that, not because of performances so much, but because I find all the "Nooooooo, she can't possibly win! How is she even nominated? I refuse to accept it!" carrying on from the anti-Bullock crowd pretty hilarious.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

I only brought up DDL in Lincoln to point out that sometimes the race is over months in advance. Not to say that Sandra in Gravity will be regarded the same way as DDL/Lincoln because it won't, but she could be just much of a lock for a win now, though for different reasons. If she'd lost to Meryl for 2009, this year's Actress race would be over already for sure. If she wins a few critics' awards and Critics' Choice/Globes, it's pretty much over. I wouldn't be surprised to see a replay of four years ago where Sandra's momentum is utterly obvious but the actressexual Oscar watching crowd is in handwringing denial about it and clinging to all hope that it won't happen. Maybe I'm biased because I'm kind of rooting for that, not because of performances so much, but because I find all the "Nooooooo, she can't possibly win! How is she even nominated? I refuse to accept it!" carrying on from the anti-Bullock crowd pretty hilarious.

I love Sandra. I thought that it was a nice "surprise" to see her win that Oscar. But she fought against a weak list of nominated actresses and her film was perfectly timed and was more AMPAS friendly. Thats a fact. This year the story is different. Gravity is a "scify" film. Bullock already has an Oscar. And the actress race is heavier. We have Blanchett, loved by the AMPAS, in a strong Woody Allen film with a strong & complex role. We have Dench in a December (+1), Frears (+1), and Weinstein (+5) film. And we have yet to see what happens with two well loved actresses: Amy Adams and Emma Thompson.You can route for a Bullock win, but if you think she will be the frontrunner through 4 months, you're going to be disappointed.

Does Meryl even get bored with the whole Oscar thing ?

She already went 17 times to the thing ...

why would she ? she's an unwavering staple of the ceremony and a living legend 

cate blanchett would be a lovely winner but meryl for the win always (ought to be considered ftw always :) )

I wouldn't call Gravity a popcorn film, popular but it's still two people in space and more like a Castaway type of movie where it's really more of an acting challenge than a totally mindless summer thing. And with last year's acting winners all coming from +100m movies it's not like they refuse to vote for performances in movies that are well attended.

I don't actually think Sandra is a lock now! But on the awards boards, there's all this talk that AMPAS is just dying to give Cate or Judi the Best Actress trophies they so richly deserve and that there's this big "Amy Adams is overdue" sentiment and she'll pull a Brody if all the other nominees are previous winners, and my thinking about all that is...no? I get the sense that these are all more of a "thing" among awards watchers than AMPAS voters.  I totally understood the "How has Denzel not won Best Actor?" argument and the "When is Winslet finally going to win one?" narrative, but this year with Best Actress, I don't know, for whatever reason I'm not feeling it's the same sort of thing with Blanchett, Dench, Adams. Emma Thompson could be very interesting. And what of Adele Exarchopoulos?

Edited by BoxOfficeChica