Ariadne

Game of Thrones (TV ONLY) [Leaked Spoilers prohibited]

1 hour ago, HeadShot said:

This should have been the plot imo. 

Ep. 3 - Jon and Arya but they manage to take out the Night King ala Lyanna mormont. Arya is to OP and should have been killed. She can kill Cersei o easily.

Ep. 4 - Sansa takes the title Queen of the North. Dany having lost almost all of her army in the battle of winterfell makes a deal with Sansa. She tells her that the North will be independent if she helps her take the throne and kill Cersei. 

Ep.5 - Big battle in King's Landing. Cersei and Dany both die. And in a plot twist no one expected - Sansa takes the throne. How poetic and amazing would that be. The same girl that lost her father in the 1.st season and lost her entire family killed is now the Queen of the 7 realms. No one would have expected it. And she would have earned it by being smart and learning through out the entire show. 

Ep. 6- The aftermath of the battle.. Wrapping character stories up.

If this doesn't happen, then the show is truly lost. Just look at the main sigils that surround the phrase "GAME OF THRONES" They are house Baratheon, Lannister, Targaryen and Stark.  House Targaryen has already had their time on the throne, but then they were defeated and Baratheon took the throne for a time. After he dies and the war of the throne is waged, a Lannister now holds the throne and even puts the Lion in the window behind the throne. Only house to never sit on the throne has been house Stark, and who better than Sansa who has already shown to be a good ruler and tactician (she did win Battle of the Bastards, not Jon).  I would say she even has a part to play in many of Cersei's prophecies. She easily gave up her chance to be queen to Margery, and that sent the ball in motion that would end up having all of Cersei's children die. Jamie starts his road to redemption by giving the tools Brienne would need, and it was so he can full fill his pledge to Lady Catelyn to make sure her daughters are safe. That's two things that Cersei holds dear that Sansa is in some way, setting the stages to take away. I can see it being her tactics that helps Jon and Dany defeat Cersei once and for all, but I do believe both will die (Jon from battle wounds and Dany in child birth?) but before Jon dies, I can see him passing his heir to Sansa, who he has already shown utmost trust in when he gave her the keys to Winterfell. I won't be surprised if Cersei tries to kill Sansa and either Jaimie or Tyrion come in and kill Cersei to save Sansa.   

52 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

but but Iron Throne. :D

that's really it.

Now it is. He did however managed to gather the Wildlings and those South of the Wall to fight for a common cause. Eh, I still think in the beginning, he was meant for great things, but, I have this sinking feeling that HBO has gone full woke and wants the women to be the big heroes in the end. Jon's and Bran's stories be damned.

• ...wtf 1

41 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

Actually, it's not. His visions are more on Jon's true parentage than anything else. Watch all of his  visions. I also think what we seen happen with his involvement with Hordor will repeat itself with the Mad King "burn them all, burn them all!"  But that is the thing, his visions are centered around Jon, and not Arya at all. I hate saying this, but I do think Jon was supposed to be the one to take down the Night King, but HBO has decided to go all feminist these past few years and now made the producers of GOT make all the women be the heroes and the men useless. 

I dislike forced progressiveness like the next guy but I'm gonna fight everyone who claims that Arya's arc didn't built up to this. cause it did. so let me break this down:

Jon's arc has always been about the throne and therefore his contribution to NK plot was uniting divided Houses against NK. Not taking out NK. he had to prove himself a good leader. 

Now, what undermines this isn't Arya but idiotic decision to make NK the Prime Vampire whose death kills everyone he sired. Basically, no need for united armies, just sneak an assassin to take him out. which they did AFTER half of the Allied Forces were decimated. 

As I said already, Arya trained to fight in the dark (dark = Long Night geddit?). got LF's Valeryan knife from "Everything Proceeds As I Have Foreseen" Raven. The "Prince that was promised prophecy" was revises as " the prince OR the princess that was promised". no to mention her relationship with death that's been her arc for so long. her taking out NK makes perfect sense precisely because he couldn't be goaded into an open duel. it had to be an assassination. And she's an assassin.

moreover, NK was Bran's antagonist, not Jon's. Bran was always going to have a proxy that would take NK out. it's just that fans thought it would be Jon.

Finally, never trust over-hyped characters. when movie/show or marketing hype someone to be the one, it's likely going to be a more unassuming character whose build up to the moment flew under the radar. 

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, Warhorse said:

Actually, it's not. His visions are more on Jon's true parentage than anything else. Watch all of his  visions. I also think what we seen happen with his involvement with Hordor will repeat itself with the Mad King "burn them all, burn them all!"  But that is the thing, his visions are centered around Jon, and not Arya at all. I hate saying this, but I do think Jon was supposed to be the one to take down the Night King, but HBO has decided to go all feminist these past few years and now made the producers of GOT make all the women be the heroes and the men useless. 

They literally said GRRM told them it was Arya who kills the NK.  I can get why people may not be happy the WW plot seemed to have wrapped up early, but the complaints about Arya being the one to kill NK are dumb.

All the clues are there for her.

• Like 4

I wonder if Arya killing the Night King was the last of those 3 "Holy shit" moments D&D have mentioned before in regards to crazy developments revealed to them by George that take place after A Dance with Dragons. The first was Shireen's death, the second was the Hodor reveal. 
People saying the Night King got 'Snoke'd' are talking nonsense. He proved too powerful to be defeated by fire, one-on-one combat, etc. The Army of the Dead decimated the Dothraki and Unsullied, two forces that we've seen cause havoc many times over the past 7 years. The moment at the beginning when the flames went out in the distance was chilling.

I can understand the reservations regarding the hive-mind plot device where killing the Night King destroys the rest of the dead, but that pay-off with Arya rendered it satisfying for me. We witnessed a narrative develop from the moment Arya left King's Landing at the end of Season 1 that culminated in this epic moment, yet very few of us realised the significance of it until now. I can't believe how rewarding it's going to be re-watching all of those scenes with Jaqen H'Ghar in Seasons 2, 5 and 6 which I found slightly tedious initially. I wonder if those who thought the sneak-attack was convenient felt the same with Jaqen's exploits in Harrenhal in S2. It also made characters who I was previously ambivalent towards like Melisandre and Beric feel worthwhile, as they served a pivotal function. 
I also understand why we didn't get any one-on-one fight scenes between the Night King's "lieutenants" and other characters, and also why there wasn't a confrontation between the Night King and Jon. The NK witnessed Jon kill a White Walker with his sword, why would he engage in combat with a guy whose sword could shatter him when clearly Bran was the priority, and furthermore, why would he let his fellow White Walkers do something similar when he's seen them get defeated by these weapons before? Ultimately, he, and the audience, got snuck up on by the new Kingslayer. 

Edited by gadd
  • Like 1

Also, remember this quote that GRRM said about the ending

”I’ve said before that the tone of the ending that I’m going for is bittersweet. I mean, it’s no secret that Tolkien has been a huge influence on me, and I love the way he ended ’Lord of the Rings.’ It ends with victory, but it’s a bittersweet victory. Frodo is never whole again, and he goes away to the Undying Lands, and the other people live their lives. And the scouring of the Shire—brilliant piece of work, which I didn’t understand when I was 13 years old: ’Why is this here? The story’s over?’ But every time I read it I understand the brilliance of that segment more and more. All I can say is that’s the kind of tone I will be aiming for. Whether I achieve it or not, that will be up to people like you and my readers to judge.”

It seems GRRM would be more focused on the aftermath of killing the big bad based off that quote, which is what we’re getting.  Most stories, you end with the big villain dying, in Thrones you have the personification of death and evil dying, and now we’ll have the main focus be the aftermath of that victory.  

The NK dying here was probably George’s intention.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Also, remember this quote that GRRM said about the ending

”I’ve said before that the tone of the ending that I’m going for is bittersweet. I mean, it’s no secret that Tolkien has been a huge influence on me, and I love the way he ended ’Lord of the Rings.’ It ends with victory, but it’s a bittersweet victory. Frodo is never whole again, and he goes away to the Undying Lands, and the other people live their lives. And the scouring of the Shire—brilliant piece of work, which I didn’t understand when I was 13 years old: ’Why is this here? The story’s over?’ But every time I read it I understand the brilliance of that segment more and more. All I can say is that’s the kind of tone I will be aiming for. Whether I achieve it or not, that will be up to people like you and my readers to judge.”

It seems GRRM would be more focused on the aftermath of killing the big bad based off that quote, which is what we’re getting.  Most stories, you end with the big villain dying, in Thrones you have the personification of death and evil dying, and now we’ll have the main focus be the aftermath of that victory.  

The NK dying here was probably George’s intention.

I think the issue is if Arya ends up killing such a big character like the NK, it should have caused her death.

Edited by Lordmandeep

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think the issue is if Arya ends up killing such a big character like the NK, it should have caused her death.

But Arya's not some minor character who hasn't warranted this moment, the reason that scene has a massive effect is that, up until 20 minutes from the end, most of the audience think it's got to be Jon, Daenerys, or even Jaime that kills the Night King. However, that moment is what Arya's whole life had been leading up to, the pieces just didn't fit until this episode. Her entire arc had been discovering ways to confront Death.

• Like 1

well, old spoiler from 4 months ago that spoiled that Arya killed NK (but nobody believed) claimed that Arya jumped on NK from the tree, so that explains where she was hiding from midpoint onward (when she left the castle). 

same spoiler reported Lyanna's turn into a wight. 

I didn't post the rest cause it concerns upcoming episodes. 

@Lordmandeep Please explain to me the connection between killing NK and dying? Nobody who killed a WW ever died so why should killing NK follow different rules? I don't understand why should NK Slayer drop dead. 

Edited by Valonqar

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

well, old spoiler from 4 months ago that spoiled that Arya killed NK (but nobody believed) claimed that Arya jumped on NK from the tree, so that explains where she was hiding from midpoint onward (when she left the castle). 

@Lordmandeep Please explain to me the connection between killing NK and dying? Nobody who killed a WW ever died so why should killing NK follow different rules? I don't understand why should NK Slayer drop dead. 

It jsut the show spends so long hyping up the WW as the Endgame and they are dealt with in single episode.

I think in most great stories, the villian is such a threat that major characters have to die to take him down and we did not really get that.

The issue is the NK is the real big boss really because Cersei is nowhere near a threat to what the NK can do. 

Its like the supposed endgame of the entire series has been subverted from a song of ice and fire back to the same old battle of the throne.

Edited by Lordmandeep

Fantastic episode. It could have been even better if they had mixed episode 2 and 3 to give some breathing space and balancing both episodes (even NK giving two proper episodes)

I think major issue fans are having with episode is it being too dark. Twitter and social media flooded with complaints of being way too dark. (60%)

Many not liking Arya killing NK so easily and all of sudden.  Jon fans or GOT fans who had always believed/expected Jon will be the one. (25%)

NK done in one episode only (15%)

Looks like Sansa will indeed sit on throne in the end. Everything is pointing towards it.

Edited by The Dark Rock
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I think it's less to do with plot mechanics and more the emotional toll of finally defeating this long-established bad guy. People might think it's a bit cheap to kill the Night King without repercussions, except that there were MASSIVE repercussions. Our surviving heroes lost 90% of their force and are vastly outnumbered against Cersei and her allies.

4 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think many thought the 'game of thrones' was the sideshow and that the Night King was the endgame.

But it is reversed... and they did so after 8 seasons... 

That is surprising if fans took it like that. GOT was/is always about the thrones. All the rage/revenge/character arc etc all are about throne. NK/WW was always sideshow.

4 minutes ago, The Dark Rock said:

That is surprising if fans took it like that. GOT was/is always about the thrones. All the rage/revenge/character arc etc all are about throne. NK/WW was always sideshow.

Looks like we been watching two different shows lol 

As I said hopefully the finale ties in things better because at the path GOT is going now its going to end on a rather divisive note. 

I loved that, in the midst of the chaos that was unfolding, this episode managed to convey how survival instincts affected certain characters in different ways. Jon saw Sam being attacked and had to leave him because his focus was entirely on Bran. Grey Worm also left his fellow Unsullied soldiers to get ripped to shreds due to the realisation of how much he wanted to see the fight out. These more morally ambiguous traits of the characters had been lacking a little in the last few seasons so the fact they were able to include these moments in their biggest episode was pretty impressive.

Edited by gadd
  • Like 2