Ariadne

Game of Thrones (TV ONLY) [Leaked Spoilers prohibited]

21 hours ago, AndyK said:

Thanks, can anyone decipher what was said at the end of the trailer?  ... what i heard was "por vow oot gluten stem".

English is not my mother tongue, but I think she says:

"We'll rip her out, root and stem."

21 hours ago, Brainbug said:

The first Book and Season 1 literally begin with establishing the central conflict of the Song of Ice and Fire: The living vs the dead. Not the game of thrones!

This episode shit on that and im so bitter about it.

Central conflict maybe for you. But the majority of the viewers cares more for the war between the living. The NK was always a one dimensional villain and he got what he deserved. A one dimensional death scene.

NK sucked and was absolutely laughable on the show. the books make WW creepy af but show design is LOL and the fact that he was always getting those made-for-meme moments just drove the point home he wasn't to be taken seriously. Also, his show backstory (the Children put dragon glass in some rando to fight for the Children against Men) is pure garbage. it's much more epic in the book (Lord Commander of the Night Watch fell in love with the "cold woman" aka Night Queen and became the Night King).

My biggest disappointment is that NK's death had no impact on the worst character on the show, the 3 Eyed Exposition. Now that's a bad Deus ex Machine if there was ever one. the monotonous tone. the resting bitch face. just kill him, make him new NK but good one (Day King?) or take his powers away and make him proper Bran again. 

Edited by Valonqar

18 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

NK sucked and was absolutely laughable on the show. the books make WW creepy af but show design is LOL and the fact that he was always getting those made-for-meme moments just drove the point home he wasn't to be taken seriously. Also, his show backstory (the Children put dragon glass in some rando to fight for the Children against Men) is pure garbage. it's much more epic in the book (Lord Commander of the Night Watch fell in love with the "cold woman" aka Night Queen and became the Night King).

My biggest disappointment is that NK's death had no impact on the worst character on the show, the 3 Eyed Exposition. Now that's a bad Deus ex Machine if there was ever one. the monotonous tone. the resting bitch face. just kill him, make him new NK but good one (Day King?) or take his powers away and make him proper Bran again. 

There is no explanation in the books about the origins of the WWs though. It might be the same as in the show.

21 minutes ago, misafeco said:

There is no explanation in the books about the origins of the WWs though. It might be the same as in the show.

In the A Song of Ice and Fire novels, the Night's King fell in love with a woman "with skin as white as the moon and eyes like blue stars"; he loved her though "her skin was cold as ice", and when he gave his seed to her he gave her his soul as well. He brought her to the Nightfort and bound the brothers of the Night's Watch to his will through sorcery. He declared himself "Night's King" and ruled over the Wall and The Gift as his own. The King in the North Brandon the Breaker and Joramun, the King-Beyond-the-Wall, joined forces to defeat him and his queen.

After their deaths, it was discovered that they had been making human sacrifices to the Others - the White Walkers.

After their defeat, the rule was enforced that the castles of the Night's Watch along the Wall should never be fortified against approach from the south, so that they cannot oppose the lands south of the Wall which they are meant to defend. The downfall of the Night's King and Queen also resulted in the strict enforcement of the rule that the Night's Watch is meant to be politically neutral, as guardians who do not "rule" the Wall but who serve the realms of men.

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Night's_Queen

But yes, you are right, there's no explanation for Night Queen and her folk. I always thought that WW would be something eternal, that one cannon vanquish for good but can stop for X number of years. their blowing all up into ice pellets was lame but, then, they were lame on the show so well deserved Snoke-ing. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

The Night's King in the books is not the same as the Night King in the show. This has been confirmed multiple times.

29 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

The Night's King in the books is not the same as the Night King in the show. This has been confirmed multiple times.

I know. Big difference between Night Meme and Night King. ;)

I like the book story because it's like an inversion of Jon and Dany. he was the LC of the NW and she's the dragon queen. and they are good unlike the Night Couple. 

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

I know. Big difference between Night Meme and Night King. ;)

I like the book story because it's like an inversion of Jon and Dany. he was the LC of the NW and she's the dragon queen. and they are good unlike the Night Couple. 

The show has definitely done a lot of streamlining and condensing.

The whole Azor Ahai, PTWP, and Last Hero myths in the books were severely curtailed in the show. The 3-Eyed Raven shifted from a super-warg who can see through time via the eyes of living weirwood trees into a dehumanized memory stick of everything that happened anywhere.

Etc.

7 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

The show has definitely done a lot of streamlining and condensing.

The whole Azor Ahai, PTWP, and Last Hero myths in the books were severely curtailed in the show. The 3-Eyed Raven shifted from a super-warg who can see through time via the eyes of living weirwood trees into a dehumanized memory stick of everything that happened anywhere.

Etc.

very true! I understand the need for steamlining cause different medium. I just don't think that some solutions worked. 

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

very true! I understand the need for steamlining cause different medium. I just don't think that some solutions worked. 

Like it baffles me that Howland Reed, who is a very intriguing yet off page character in the books, who is central to the Lyanna/Rhaegar story (the story the Reed children tell about their father going to the Harrenhall tourney is one if my favorite moments in the books) and likely the only living witness to Jon's true parentage, has been all but wiped out of the show. Instead we get robo Bran and Deus Ex Diary.

39 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Like it baffles me that Howland Reed, who is a very intriguing yet off page character in the books, who is central to the Lyanna/Rhaegar story (the story the Reed children tell about their father going to the Harrenhall tourney is one if my favorite moments in the books) and likely the only living witness to Jon's true parentage, has been all but wiped out of the show. Instead we get robo Bran and Deus Ex Diary.

this is so perfect! :bravo:

yes, my biggest problem with Bran is that he serves as a shortcut and really bad one at that. I liked that Dany was, like, wow, how convenient that your brother "saw" it. For it's true. whenever they need to move the plot forward but have no time (hey, we didn't force anyone to shorten the seasons!), here's Robo Bran. They could have exposed LF some other way. they could have found out about the parentage some other way, etc. Now that they saved Robo Bran from NK, I fully expect he's gonna pull another 2-3 reveals out of his ass cause they need to move the plot or get rid of excess characters. 

Edited by Valonqar

Season 1: Winter is coming
Season 2: Winter is coming
Season 3: Winter is coming

Season 4: Winter is coming
Season 5: Winter is coming
Season 6: Winter is coming
Season 7: Winter is coming for real

Season 8 Ep 3: Winter is here
Also Season 8 Ep 3: Winter is over lols

• Haha 2

On 4/30/2019 at 6:54 AM, Valonqar said:

Arya's big moment and Zombie Lyanna leaked 4 months ago but not by Frikileaks so fans didn't believe it. Now they are revising that leak cause there's more that hasn't happened yet.

@Jonan23 That and also you don't make everyone useless and stupid just to prop one character. I think that the episode would go over much better if everyone got something memorable to do (everyone being main characters) so that it wasn't just for Arya fans. cause right now, the only fans that are uncritically happy with the whole thing are Arya fans and it should have been that everyone was happy how it turned out including Jon fans accepting that Arya taking out NK was the right thing. But they didn't execute it well. 

Example of good execution is IW, IMO. The movie was building up to Thor creating a weapon that would destroy Thanos. Everyone was given something memorable to do (minus Quill's emotionally charged stupidity) and Thor arrivals in wakanda changed the course of the battle. Good guys are now winning. then we get the shocking Hell yeah moment when Stormbreaker logs into Thanos chest. But he's protected by the stones so "next time aim for the head...snap". So what happened didn't undermine Thor. he didn't kill Thanos not because he was stupid or whatever but because Thanos is legit hard to kill thanks to the stones. You can't kill him in a battle. you can't assassinate him. you just can't. 

However, what Long Night did wrong is that it literally rendered the biggest army ever assembled pointless cause the only way to take NK out was assassination, and easy one at that. so when you watch the episode, you wonder why the heck Dothraki had to charge the zombies, etc and why they didn't just take Bran somewhere farther from Winterfell and have Arya with him to sneak upon NK at the right moment since it wasn't hard at all. that would have saved lives. Mind you, this isn't just Long Night's problem. It was Knight of the Seven Kingdom's too. When Bran told everyone that NK knew where he was, many people were, like, than why are you endangering everyone at Winterfell? Like, that little shit could have told them long time ago, move the fuck out, and redirect NK interest elsewhere. So lots of stupid leading up to the big battle that didn't have to happen cause you couldn't take him (and everyone else) out without a stealth assassination. 

Now instead of having an episode that holds up, it falls apart the more you think about it and drags other stuff on the show with it, leaving only one specific fandom satisfied cause they literally only care about the big moment and not about shit surrounding it. 

Arya is my favorite character, and I am not happy at all with how this episode went down. I don't care if she took the Night King out or not, but like you said, everyone should have had a chance to shine. And what better way than with our main warriors who have Valerian steel going one on one with the White Walker generals. And, I see no reason whatsoever why Jon could have at least kill the wight dragon.  Jon has been propped up as the most important person in this war, and in the final battle, he didn't do shit but hide behind a rock. Seriously, why not let him climb a wall and come down onto Viserion and drive his sword right into the beasts head!

• Like 1

With regards to the Arya sneak attack, one thing they could have easily done to better showcase it would have been to show say a large flock of ravens in the Weirwood Tree branches over Bran. Then as the Night King rolls on up and starts pulling out his sword, we see the flock of ravens pull back to either side, revealing Arya hiding, and she drops down onto the NK.

Would have showed some planning/teamwork on her and Bran's part as well as worked far more than just her flying in from offscreen

• Like 1

GRRM Forever: This has never been a story about good vs. evil

Show For First 7 Seasons: This has never been a story about good vs. evil

*Show does away with the one-dimensional dark force before the finale, abruptly, at the hands of a person who's been training since the beginning of the show*

Some Fans: ...it's almost as if this isn't a story about good vs. evil :what:

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2019 at 8:08 PM, Warhorse said:

Arya is my favorite character, and I am not happy at all with how this episode went down. I don't care if she took the Night King out or not, but like you said, everyone should have had a chance to shine. And what better way than with our main warriors who have Valerian steel going one on one with the White Walker generals. And, I see no reason whatsoever why Jon could have at least kill the wight dragon.  Jon has been propped up as the most important person in this war, and in the final battle, he didn't do shit but hide behind a rock. Seriously, why not let him climb a wall and come down onto Viserion and drive his sword right into the beasts head!

This x 10000! Why did several other characters have Valerian steel? To take out WW! And yet, they got stuck fighting wights that could be taken out with a mere dragon glass and fire! Fuck this shit! 

Longclaw = useless 

Oathkeeper = useless

Widow's Wail = useless

Heartsbane = useless

Dumb. 

• Like 1

My favourite medieval history channel on YT explains the tactics in the 3rd episode and why the show should really have studied medieval warfare:

Disclaimer: This is not a stupid channel like those Last Jedi-hating videos.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

GRRM Forever: This has never been a story about good vs. evil

Show For First 7 Seasons: This has never been a story about good vs. evil

*Show does away with the one-dimensional dark force before the finale, abruptly, at the hands of a person who's been training since the beginning of the show*

Some Fans: ...it's almost as if this isn't a story about good vs. evil :what:

Has nothing to do with a story about good vs evil. It has everything to do with a good story period. Scenes that are so dark that you can barely make sense with what is going is one of the big ones. I watch movies/TV shows to see the stuff of imaginations. If I wanted my imagination to fill in the black spots of the screen, then I would read a book.

Second, there should have been more deaths. At least Sam and Brienne should have died. Maybe Podrick, Gilly and the baby too. 

And again, we wanted to see our heroes in kick ass fights, which has always been a highlight for the show. Bronn vs the Knight of the Vale, Hound vs Beric and Hound vs Brienne. Jon vs Tanner or the White Walkers, Dany vs Warlocks, Ned vs Sir Arthur Dayne.  And well, it would have been thrilling to see one on one battles of the warriors with Varleryian steel against the White Walker generals. I would rather have that then the stupid dragon flying scenes. One of the biggest complaints is that Arya appeared out of nowhere, but yet in an earlier scene it shown the wights are alerted to a simple blood drop on a wooden floor. This is a very good thing to point out and complain. Arya is not a superwoman, and she shouldn't have been able to get past all of those White Walkers unscathed. It would have been more believable if all of the warriors with Valeryian steel were fighting one on one the White Walker generals, and that would have been a good way for them to be distracted so Arya could make her move.  But now we have producers at HBO trying to say that Jon sees her and he is distracting the wight dragon so she can get to Bran, yelling at her to "go, go, go!"  It still doesn't explain how she got past the Generals. And well, if you have to explain something after the episode is done, then you didn't do a good job conveying your story. Did these guys ever heard of test screenings, where random people are taken off the streets to watch a show or movie and seeing what will work or not, that way they have time to fix what isn't working? I hope the next episode highlights how things went to make more sense of it all, but I don't have much faith in these producers anymore.

Look, I have seen some very die hard Game of Thrones fans try to defend this, but then come back and admit this episode kind of sucks. It was too dark, and the characters were dumb and everything was done because it looked cool. When a die hard youtuber like Talking Thrones is left underwhelmed (and he is about as optimistic as they come) you know something went wrong.

Edited by Warhorse

My disappointment with NK isn't that he died, like, duh, that was going to happen. it's just that everyone exploding as the result was lame af. the intriguing thing about taking out villains like NK, who are more symbol than anything else, is that remnants still remain as a caution for the future. the whole point of why he rose again after 1000 or so years of slumber after the first defeat, is that these things are cyclic. humans will be at odds with each other, but when shit hits the fan, NK rises to unite them again otherwise they'd annihilate themselves. NK type of enemy give humans a will to survive as a species as opposed to smaller goal survival as tribes/families, etc (the reasons why they fight among themselves). So by basically completely destroying the "evil that unifies the race of men at the crucial time", they robbed the story of more mythical set up and thematic weight. Like, not even a hint that Bran or Little Sam (who was the candidate for WW) could become the new NK? That anything out there could threaten Men when they go back to their selfish ways?