Shawn Robbins

Weekend Numbers (OZ: 80 mill)

No one doesn't think it's a good opening. It's simply undercut by Disney's current production model in which few to none of their films are successes before home video and merchandising sales, and by its underwhelming overseas launch, which doesn't usually happen anymore with blockbusters in the states. 

In other news, SLP will probably finnish above Robert Parker in the US.

I would also argue that the Oscar SLP leak cost the movie around 20m in bo receits.

The movie could have done  150m dom.

It will finish in the 130m area, probably a bit under.

??

I`ll never understand love for this movie so the success boggles my mind. One of big BO stories of 2012 for sure.

Why? Ang Lee is a master film maker and his talent is showing through and through this movie. Great visuals, strong story, very good performance by the lead and ending with a strong message. It earned it's money through great WOM. Whats not to like? 

• Like 3

Why? Ang Lee is a master film maker and his talent is showing through and through this movie. Great visuals, strong story, very good performance by the lead and ending with a strong message. It earned it's money through great WOM. Whats not to like? 

Wasn't the film declared unfilmable for a long time until Ang Lee came in and took over? He sure proved that wrong  ;)

I agree about the acting performance as well, by both the older and younger Pi IMO. The ending exchange between the older Pi Patel and the novelist especially stood out for me. His line delivery, facial expressions are so powerful and full of emotions

Edited by Sam
  • Like 1

Sequel won't happen at all. It had a 200 production budget and 100 for marketing = 300. It needs 600+ to get a pass.

I'm not quite understanding the logic here.   Because Disney spent too much making Oz that means they would spend too much on the sequel as well?   If you had a franchise that can make 200m+ per film domestic....that sounds like you lower the budget and proceed.  Marvel is certainly going ahead with Thor and Cap and they made less than Oz is going to make.

I see later some are claiming Disney spent over 325m on it.    If the "rule" were true about a movie needing to make x2 its budget...why would Disney ever spend that much in the first place?   That would make it practically impossible to make a profit.  I think Disney knows something we don't about making money off their movies.

I'm not quite understanding the logic here.   Because Disney spent too much making Oz that means they would spend too much on the sequel as well?   If you had a franchise that can make 200m+ per film domestic....that sounds like you lower the budget and proceed.  Marvel is certainly going ahead with Thor and Cap and they made less than Oz is going to make.

I see later some are claiming Disney spent over 325m on it.    If the "rule" were true about a movie needing to make x2 its budget...why would Disney ever spend that much in the first place?   That would make it practically impossible to make a profit.  I think Disney knows something we don't about making money off their movies.

Yes, Disney doesn't follow "rules" made up by people on a forum who don't actually know much about the financial situation of their films.

• Like 1

No one doesn't think it's a good opening. It's simply undercut by Disney's current production model in which few to none of their films are successes before home video and merchandising sales, and by its underwhelming overseas launch, which doesn't usually happen anymore with blockbusters in the states. 

No, imo, the reason why people look at this as kind of disappointing opening is because we want everything to fail.  We are also so used to films like Twilight and Potter and Dark Knight and so on, opening to such ridiculous numbers that too many of us are not impressed by a film that opens to 80 mill.  But there are not many films that do this, unless they are a sequel.  I realize this is technically part of a very popular property, but that film came out in 1939, that might as well be 500 years ago in terms of the film climate.  This opening is impressive.  If you didn't know the budget for the film, you'd think this opening is huge.  150 mill in 3 days is enormous.  Our perspectives are what need to come in check now, imo.

• Like 1