Ezen Baklattan

Early Weekend #s - The Call Ahead Of Wonderstone!

Those Burt Wonderstone numbers are fucking awful. The cast is great. How the hell can't the team Carrell/Carrey open a comedy to at least 15M?!

Apparently Americans don't appreciate bad hair-do's like I do. The poster alone made me want to see it.

Oz number is about what I expected.  The Call, while a little above what I expected (11-12 million), doesn't surprise me.  I feel like almost every time here the urban demographic is underestimated.  I have been to probably 6 advance screenings in the past few months and black women are almost always absent.  However, at The Call, the audience was AT LEAST half black women.  Take a very sellable premise, market it effectively and add in one of the few black leading ladies and they will come out, which is exactly what is happening.  

The Wonderstone number, however, is truly baffling.  I am a HUGE Carrell fan and even though I thought the trailers looked pretty bad the Carrell and Carey names together should at a minimum bring 20 million OW.  Regardless of the premise.  In my opinion, the most shocking opening of the year so far.

Edited by RyneOh1040

Trailer was embarrassing. I understand that Carrey can`t be picky so this and that penguin crap are now the ebst he cna get. But WTF was Carrell thinking? This and that Knightmare flick. He`s tipped for Oscar nom this year for something I don`t remember what so how can you go from that to this?

Oz number is about what I expected.  The Call, while a little above what I expected (11-12 million), doesn't surprise me.  I feel like almost every time here the urban demographic is underestimated.  I have been to probably 6 advance screenings in the past few months and black women are almost always absent.  However, at The Call, the audience was AT LEAST half black women.  Take a very sellable premise, market it effectively and add in one of the few black leading ladies and they will come out, which is exactly what is happening.  

The Wonderstone number, however, is truly baffling.  I am a HUGE Carrell fan and even though I thought the trailers looked pretty bad the Carrell and Carey names together should at a minimum bring 20 million OW.  Regardless of the premise.  In my opinion, the most shocking opening of the year so far.

I agree that a movie like this SHOULD be a hit, but I blame the stars for resting on their laurels with regards to the marketing.

• Like 2