Ezen Baklattan

Early Weekend #s - The Call Ahead Of Wonderstone!

Jack and Jill killed Adam Sandler's career. and Popper's Penguin killed Jim Carrey's. They both might as well retire. I can't see them demanding 15-25 million pay checks any longer.

Jim Carrey looks good in Kick Ass 2 but I think he needs to pick better projects, he can do serious roles so maybe he should do an indie drama similar to Man in the Moon and Eternal Sunshine.

There weren't too many scary moments in Sinister, but overall it was a pretty darn creepy movie. That dude just plugged in and started watching those home movies, and some of that stuff was pretty intense. Decent premise for a horror movie

Unfortunately, that demon wasn't scary in the least (same story with Insidious) but I'd rate Sinister as slightly better than Insidious and Mama just because of the general ominous tone throughout. Decent twist about the house too.

• Like 1

Bad trailer, bad marketing, bad reviews, total lack of buzz.

I saw it yesterday. Decent comedy about the triumph of mild mannered people over the over-achieving Criss Angel-like Jim Carrey magician. Olivia is great by just being Olivia. I like Carrell brand of comedy but he is mechanically doing his usual schtick without passion, exactly what his mentor magician in the movie thinks of him. 

Edited by zackzack

#1 ‘Oz’ Holding Huge For $143M Domestic; Halle #2 In ‘The Call’ And Beats Carell-Carrey In Bombing ‘Incredible Burt Wonderstone’

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone (3,160 theaters) is a complete disaster despite no fresh comedy at the multiplex since Identity Thief opened five weeks ago. This is Warner Bros’ 5th straight box office dud, continuing what has been an abysmal beginning of the year. Any hope for an upside because of the casting of Steve Carell and Jim Carrey (who’s in the Witness Protection Program in the trailers) has been trashed. Those guys should have delivered at least a $20M if not $30M opening. Instead their pic will be lucky to max $11M for its first weekend after grossing only $3.5M Friday. And, remember, that includes 1,800 Thursday late shows, too. Even worse, pic scored a ‘C+’ CinemaScore from audiences who will hurt word of mouth along with a dismal 25% positive reviews from toop critics on Rotten Tomatoes. Burt was beaten badly by Sony/TriStar’s new Troika pickup starring Halle Berry, The Call (2,507 theaters). In 2nd place, it earned a ‘B+’ Cinema with $5.7M at Friday’s box office for a $17M first weekend even though the low-budget kidnap thriller is playing in 653 fewer locations.