Ezen Baklattan

Early Weekend #s - The Call Ahead Of Wonderstone!

Wonderstone actually would have done better with less advertising, imo.  The trailers were just so unfunny that they drove potential viewers away.

Can't figure out The Call.  I thought Halle Berry was pretty much over-the-hill, but she must still have a big fanbase.

Burt Wonderstone would've done better with someone like Will Ferrell in the lead role. He is perfect for over the top caricatures like Ron Burgundy or Ricky Bobby. Steve Carrell is better suited for the regular guy/lovable loser type of roles.

Can't figure out The Call.  I thought Halle Berry was pretty much over-the-hill, but she must still have a big fanbase.

I think that The Call is a type of a movie that plays well with Lifetime crowd if there`s a recognizable name in it. I don`t think that Halle is suddenly a draw. I mean, CA was a flop so that couldn`t have turned her into a bankable name again. But it`s good to see her in a hit and if she`s smart and doesn`t headline expensive movies but keeps the budget low and appeal on decent level (like this movie), she could become relevant again. She had a decent hit with Gothika before Catwoman gaffe.

Having a recognizable name helps but The Call didn't have an extraordinary debut for a movie marketed as a horror/thriller. It is just that Wonderstone bombed and The Call is looking good in comparison.

It was marketed as a horror. $17-18 million isn't an extraordinary number for horror as most horror wide releases end up in the 10-20 million range.

Horror? Come on! It looked like Halle Berry in a Lifetime remake of Taken.

• Like 7

Horror? Come on! It looked like Halle Berry in a Lifetime remake of Taken.

Actually it reminded me of that movie with Chris Evans and Kim Basinger (Cellular opened to $10 million+ in 2004) but dunno I was actually expecting $15 million or so.

Lower jump for Oz compared to Alice, but still very good. The weekend will be 41-42m, and if it gets 3x multiplier from here (which is what Alice got), it will finish with over 225m.Should cross 180m by next Sunday and 200m by next.

It's actually an amazing jump compared to last few years. In the comparable holiday week Alice didn't even manage to jump 100% on friday.

Problem for Oz was the bad drop on monday.

Edited by Poseidon

Ran into a friend who's headed to see the Call, she's stoked for it and thinks it looks better than Wonderstone. I think this is going to play really well with females, even though its about them getting kidnapped. Kudos to the Berry/Braslin team up.

• Like 2