Wadey Wilsoney

That movie didn't age very well

I recently watched Blade Runner for the first time, and I personally didn't think this has held up well a tall and didn't really enjoy it. 

If I watched this when it first came out (I wasn't alive) I think i would have absolutely loved it!!  

obviously the original star wars

not only do the effects look awful now, but the set design is almost high school stuff, if only high schools had bigger budgets

Comments like this are absolutely ridiculous.  The effects are still fantastic even in today's world.  And the set design is high schoolish?  Please show me the high school that designs stuff like this and I'll send my kids there.

• Like 5

The space battle in Return Of The Jedi is still one of the greatest special effects achievements to this day. It didn't age at all.

Watch this (check it out from 5'22 but the full documentary is really interesting to understand the art of Matte Painting and surimpressions techniques used by ILM in Starwars, Explorers and Indiana Jones to composite VFX shots especially before the age of CGI):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A69N-FQvaqI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D60o0AXSRYA

It's mind-boggling and still fascinating me how they managed to create that to this day. (I love that they took that shot in particular as a making-of exemple because it's one of my favourite)

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

ROTJ still has the best space battle and its been what 30 years now? 

It's my 5th favorite movie of all-time. It's my favorite Star wars movie. The action at the end of that movie is just insane. They're fighting in space, they're fighting on land, Vader and Luke are having a light saber duel. The action is just wonderful in that movie.

It's my 5th favorite movie of all-time. It's my favorite Star wars movie. The action at the end of that movie is just insane. They're fighting in space, they're fighting on land, Vader and Luke are having a light saber duel. The action is just wonderful in that movie.

To be fair, the fighting on land involved some really weak-ass Ewok fighting. :P (It's one of my favorite sequences too).

• Like 1

The original trilogy looks better than most tentpoles made today. That's the power of actual set design and practical effects. It's also why, among major modern science-fiction and fantasy blockbusters, I think only the LOTR films and Inception have a chance to still look as good in 30 years as they do now - also thanks mainly to doing as much practical stuff as possible. 

• Like 1

Some do, especially in ROTK, but overall the films still look really good, and the amount of practical work gone into creating Middle-Earth very much shows. I can hardly imagine the Battle of Helm's Deep ever looking outdated, for example. Meanwhile, The Hobbit already looked fake and cartoonish when I watched it in the theater.

The Abyss does look great, so does T-1000 in T2. Davy Jones' face tentacles in DMC, the aliens in District 9 and Richard Parker in Life of Pi might be my favorite recent examples of "pure" CGI that I can remember off the top of my head. There aren't many of those, though. 

• Like 1

Some do, especially in ROTK, but overall the films still look really good, and the amount of practical work gone into creating Middle-Earth very much shows. I can hardly imagine the Battle of Helm's Deep ever looking outdated, for example. Meanwhile, The Hobbit already looked fake and cartoonish when I watched it in the theater.

The Abyss does look great, so does T-1000 in T2. Davy Jones' face tentacles in DMC, the aliens in District 9 and Richard Parker in Life of Pi might be my favorite recent examples of "pure" CGI that I can remember off the top of my head. There aren't many of those, though. 

The Abyss and T2 still look great because the story on the page dictates the CGI art direction. A water alien tentacle with lot of transparency and reflection that looks like glass and a liquid metal shapeshifting robot. In both cases, they don't age because the CGI embody exactly what those characters are supposed to be for the audience. (Even T-1000 CGI stiffness at times when shapeshifting can be explained because it's not a human being, it's a robot. The actor's stiff mannerisms helped to sell the illusion)

Davy Jones blew me away because I thought that was prosthetics (costume and head with latex tentacles) enhanced with CGI (to animate moving tentacles). It won't age at all because it already looks as photo-real as a practical effect.

The birth scene in Children Of Men is seamless as well.

• Like 2

Assuming you're not just talking about SFX, American Beauty strikes me as a movie very much of its time. People went apeshit for it when it opened but it's hardly ever talked about now. Which is odd, because the subject it exsplores isn't any less relevant today. I suppose it's that In This Economic Climate the notion of a Dad giving up his job for leisure would be callous to many?

Avatar's a tough one. Once you're on Pandora there's so much CGI going on that you might as well be watching the most polished animated movie ever, so it should probably be judged accordingly.

Edited by Hatebox

American Beauty hasn't aged at all.  Just because people don't talk about it doesn't make it any less brilliant or diminished by age.  American Beauty is an adult film with a lot of adult themes.  I don't think a lot of people are sitting around quoting it in highschool.

• Like 3

American Beauty hasn't aged at all.  Just because people don't talk about it doesn't make it any less brilliant or diminished by age.  American Beauty is an adult film with a lot of adult themes.  I don't think a lot of people are sitting around quoting it in highschool.

I know, but it feels like it's been forgotten about completely. I quite like the film, mind you.

I know, but it feels like it's been forgotten about completely. I quite like the film, mind you.

I understand what you mean.  It isn't spoken about all that much but to be fair, what best pictures are spoken about today?