A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

I still don't see how Jurassic World confirms Pratt as a A list star.

Yes, I understand Guardians and JW were big hits, but is that really down to him, was it sold on his image like Cruise and Smith movies were during their A List peak? Guardians was sold on the Marvel brand, the unique setting and comedy vibe and the team. JW was sold on nostalgia from a previous classic hit movie and dinasaurs. It's not the same as his name being above the title of a movie with just his picture on the poster, being the lead, promoting it and carrying it past 100 mill.

All these movies confirm is that he can do a good job in those roles, but it doesn't prove he was drawing the audiences.

Nothing is "confirmed", simply because there's no way to asses how much business he brought in compared to other factors.

However, Jurassic was in fact sold on his image a lot more than any previous movie in the franchise. The poster they used for basically all the billboards was the one with Owen and the raptors. You can say it didn't have much of an impact, but I would disagree. As someone who's been tracking JW on social media for weeks, there was tons of chatter about wanting to see Pratt in it.

Just because it wasn't your reason to watch it, doesn't mean it wasn't anyone's.

• Like 1

Owen was not a serious role... Like at all.

It wasn't a comedic role either. 

I think you're thinking like super dramatic acting, and in that case you're right, but Owen was a mostly serious character.

Plus from what I heard, the lead in this movie still has a sense of humor... so it might not be any more "serious" than Owen was to you.

It wasn't a comedic role either.

I think you're thinking like super dramatic acting, and in that case you're right, but Owen was a mostly serious character.

Plus from what I heard, the lead in this movie still has a sense of humor... so it might not be any more "serious" than Owen was to you.

It is possible for a serious character to have a good sense of humor, for example: Matthew Mcconaughey's character from Interstellar, Cooper.

Nothing is "confirmed", simply because there's no way to asses how much business he brought in compared to other factors.

However, Jurassic was in fact sold on his image a lot more than any previous movie in the franchise. The poster they used for basically all the billboards was the one with Owen and the raptors. You can say it didn't have much of an impact, but I would disagree. As someone who's been tracking JW on social media for weeks, there was tons of chatter about wanting to see Pratt in it.

Just because it wasn't your reason to watch it, doesn't mean it wasn't anyone's.

Yeah I didn't say it wasn't the reason for other people. I'm just saying it's not comparable to my definition of someone proving themselves an A List star. I want to see him carry a movie by himself, without big brand or franchise name behind it.

• Like 1

Yeah I didn't say it wasn't the reason for other people. I'm just saying it's not comparable to my definition of someone proving themselves an A List star. I want to see him carry a movie by himself, without big brand or franchise name behind it.

Will Passengers work to prove that though?

IDK, I see this argument all the time and honestly I just think it's a moot point. There's always some combination of factors working for a movie, the star being one of them. You have Bradley Cooper carrying American Sniper - was it really all his doing? Maybe the story itself was a draw? He did have two flops straight afterwards with Aloha and Serena, right?

So IMHO, part of being a successful actor is choosing great roles that will resonate with the public. If one does that consistently, than they deserve some credit. Not many are on a streak as hot as Pratt right now.

With Magnificent Seven, Passengers, Lego Sequel, Guardians 2, Jurassic 5... it's not looking to cool down soon.

• Like 1

Will Passengers work to prove that though?

IDK, I see this argument all the time and honestly I just think it's a moot point. There's always some combination of factors working for a movie, the star being one of them. You have Bradley Cooper carrying American Sniper - was it really all his doing? Maybe the story itself was a draw? He did have two flops straight afterwards with Aloha and Serena, right?

So IMHO, part of being a successful actor is choosing great roles that will resonate with the public. If one does that consistently, than they deserve some credit. Not many are on a streak as hot as Pratt right now.

With Magnificent Seven, Passengers, Lego Sequel, Guardians 2, Jurassic 5... it's not looking to cool down soon.

I'd give him and Lawrence a lot of credit, more than for JW or Hunger Games, if they bring Passengers to a big total domestically. And right, I don't consider Cooper A List either.

I agree that choosing the right roles are important, I just think there's a difference between being in successful movies and being an A List star and draw.

Edited by RaidensSword

A Forbes article about the current topic of discussion - Are Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt Movie Stars

Basically he says this movie will be the true test to their drawing power, but he does give both credit for helping their movies get their level of success.

I have to say, a lot will ride on marketing, and I think the smartest thing Sony can do is set up an extensive press tour for those two together.

But if the movie is good and connects with the audience, I think it'll be a hit.

• Like 2

A Forbes article about the current topic of discussion - Are Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt Movie Stars

Basically he says this movie will be the true test to their drawing power, but he does give both credit for helping their movies get their level of success.

I have to say, a lot will ride on marketing, and I think the smartest thing Sony can do is set up an extensive press tour for those two together.

But if the movie is good and connects with the audience, I think it'll be a hit.

Movie stars doesn't exist anymore imo. Box office wise. If the movie looks good people will check it out. They bring a few fanbase but it's the movie determined if people will care watch these to actors in it.

Chris pratt is a-list now in Hollywood same with Lawrence.

I'd give him and Lawrence a lot of credit, more than for JW or Hunger Games, if they bring Passengers to a big total domestically. And right, I don't consider Cooper A List either.

If your definition of an A-Lister is someone who can make tons of money for a movie no matter the content, then no actor is.

• Like 3

This was a conversation I had with a friend after seeing JW:

her: omg I fucking love Chris Pratt

me: Guess who he's doing a movie with in the next year and a half or so?

her: who?

me: JLaw!
her: HOLY SHIT. I don't even care. Can we buy our tickets right now? Thats a perfect pair.

^For the younger audiences, I don't think this would be a rare reaction.

• Like 2

If your definition of an A-Lister is someone who can make tons of money for a movie no matter the content, then no actor is.

Maybe these days that's true but the main reason is because Cooper has had several flops alongside his hits. My definition of A List star would be Tom Cruise in the 90s to early 2000s, or Leonardo the last 10 years. When almost every movie movie is an event that draws an audience and brings in solid profit.

It's not just for anyone that has a few big hits and a few misses.

Edited by RaidensSword

This was a conversation I had with a friend after seeing JW:

her: omg I fucking love Chris Pratt

me: Guess who he's doing a movie with in the next year and a half or so?

her: who?

me: JLaw!

her: HOLY SHIT. I don't even care. Can we buy our tickets right now? Thats a perfect pair.

^For the younger audiences, I don't think this would be a rare reaction.

I know that was my reaction.

• Like 1

Pratt is in Moneyball? Haven't seen it since it came out

Owen was not a serious role... Like at all.

He was also in Zero Dark Thirty, a supporting role. 

Moneyball is a great film, you should see it.

---

Just to disagree with something posted earlier:  Silver linings playbook and American Hustle were not hits solely because of Lawrence.  Both were ensemble pieces.  I have yet to see her sell a film solely on her name.  She's no Angelina Jolie or Sandra Bullock, who are still the biggest female draws right now.

Edited by eustacia

There is no such thing as a movie star if we define it as the ability to make a film that has no commercial appeal, limited distribution and marketing into a hit.  Put Dicaprio and Jolie in a small indie with limited distribution and it is still going no where fast. A draw is just someone who is careful with their career choices.

A movie star to me is someone who has appeal with the audience who can make the most of a role. Give them a good role in a promising film and they deliver and the audience buys them. Something like that.

This looks like a very interesting film.  

Edited by straggler
  • Like 3

There is no such thing as a movie star if we define it as the ability to make a film that has no commercial appeal, limited distribution and marketing into a hit.  Put Dicaprio and Jolie in a small indie with limited distribution and it is still going no where fast. A draw is just someone who is careful with their career choices.

A movie star to me is someone who has appeal with the audience who can make the most of a role. Give them a good role in a promising film and they deliver and the audience buys them. Something like that.

This looks like a very interesting film.  

Very well put. You are NEVER a draw all by yourself. That s just a myth. It is only real for comedic actors that have a unique schtick :  Carrey, Ferrell, McCarthy but people get eventually bored of said shtick.

Let s not pretend that the next Anjelina Jolie directed movie about a couple in crisis in the south of France with Pitt is gonna do Maleficent numbers, WWZ numbers even. That s not how it works.

All the movie stars that people call draws are very self conscious of what kind of part work best for them. 

• Like 1

JLaw has yet to prove a box office draw. Her CHARACTER in THG may be a draw but that doesn't mean people will turn up to watch her In other things.

I know both actors have a hefty amount of online buzz, but that doesn't necessarily translate to actual box office success, which is what matters.