A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

Lol then you are seeing things mate, lay off the bong.

Yeah, best case for Passengers is 6th or 7th place. Maybe 5th if Moana underperforms, but I don't see how an original sci-fi gunning for Oscars will finish above the big 4 for next year - all are pretty close to locks for $300 million+ DOM. 

Going up against Rogue One is risky, especially if Passengers is PG-13 instead of R. 

Yeah, best case for Passengers is 6th or 7th place. Maybe 5th if Moana underperforms, but I don't see how an original sci-fi gunning for Oscars will finish above the big 4 for next year - all are pretty close to locks for $300 million+ DOM.

Going up against Rogue One is risky, especially if Passengers is PG-13 instead of R.

This has a chance at 300M though...

This has a chance at 300M though...

Wow, lets not get carried away. Not even Inception or Gravity did 300M. This won't either. It has a chance at 200M, tho. 

Edited by CJohn

Wow, lets not get carried away. Not even Inception or Gravity did 300M. This won't either. It has a chance at 200M, tho. 

No footage, no nothing, and you predict this based on the fact that Pratt & Lawrence are in 4 mega franchises?

• Like 1

Hmm, not sure how to feel since it's going to be releasing 5 days after Rogue One. Depending on how well Episode 7 is received and how much hype Rogue One has, Sony might want to move it.

I do not know why they would it so close to Rogue One. I do not know why Star Wars Episode VIII and Guardians 2 are being released in the same mont either.

I do not know why they would it so close to Rogue One. I do not know why Star Wars Episode VIII and Guardians 2 are being released in the same mont either.

They're far enough apart IMO, don't they have 4 weekends between each other?

Robert Downey Jr stars in 5 Marvel movies that made more than $300M each.

Solo ventures: The Judge $47M, Chef $31M

Chris Evans helped Marvel earned a total of $1.5B domestically as Captain America

Solo venture: Snowpiercer (a very good scifi movie) made less than $5M

Chris Hemsworth as Thor, thunderous. As a Blackhat hacker, lame.

Etc.

• Like 2

Robert Downey Jr stars in 5 Marvel movies that made more than $300M each.

Solo ventures: The Judge $47M, Chef $31M

Chris Evans helped Marvel earned a total of $1.5B domestically as Captain America

Solo venture: Snowpiercer (a very good scifi movie) made less than $5M

Chris Hemsworth as Thor, thunderous. As a Blackhat hacker, lame.

Etc.

None of those were a big sci-fi film starring the biggest female star in the business along side them.

But I thought this was more of a romance/comedy than a straight up sci-fi?

IMDb has it listed as a sci-fi/adventure. Although I assume there playing up the romantic aspect (hopefully.)

Never heard anyone say anything about this being a comedy. If it is a comedy I will be legitimately pissed

IMDb has it listed as a sci-fi/adventure. Although I assume there playing up the romantic aspect (hopefully.)

Never heard anyone say anything about this being a comedy. If it is a comedy I will be legitimately pissed

But Chris pratt is in it lol

But Chris pratt is in it lol

Yeah... I'd like to see Pratt take on a serious role. Plus the concept is brilliant and making it a comedy would feel like a total waste.

JW kinda turned me off of Pratt a little bit but I hope.that he can make a bounce back with this

Outside of Hunger Games, no Jennifer Lawrence has gotten close to $300M+ DOM. Not even the adored, hyped Days Of Future Past. Outside of Guardians and Jurassic World, no live action Chris Pratt movie has remotely approached $300M+ DOM.

Notice, the ones that surpassed it were extremely marketable brands - Jurassic, YA Novel, Marvel Studios - yet even X-Men of the marketable brands still failed to surpass it. Passegners is an original screenplay from Jon Spaihts with no built-in audience. The director has yet to direct a film that grossed $100M+ DOM. And, unless the release date changes, it releases within a week of Rogue One. Come on, man.