A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Joy got a sole nomination for JLaw. They didn't care for it.

The movie as a whole didn't get other nods but JLaw's nomination for a poorly-received film stands as proof that the Academy went for the bait as always. 

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

I just saw the lame RT logo on the cover of the Don't Breathe video release exclaiming that it was Fresh! Studios are actually ADVERTISING that lame site now?

Studios are giving RT way too much power nowadays!

They are doing this for a while, I remember seeing the same thing on the cover of X-Men First Class on Blu-ray.

30 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

No no no, don't define it by BOT's definition, that's insane. :rofl: 

I agree that BOT's definition is highly flawed.

Because ALL flims are flops if you listen to Hollywood Accountants. :ph34r:

Just now, Mojoguy said:

I just saw the lame RT logo on the cover of the Don't Breathe video release exclaiming that it was Fresh! Studios are actually ADVERTISING that lame site now?

Studios are giving RT way too much power nowadays!

RT has been mentioned in TV spots for more than a few films over the last two years, too. Studios will use any ploy to convince the audience that their films are good. 

• Like 1

Rotten Tomatoes is an industry standard and a heavy marketing tool now.  It's not just in TV spots, but also on DVD covers now.  PR people stick the RT numbers in press releases now too.  They matter.

Edited by UTJeff

What's the difference between quoting critics and using RT to market your film? There is no difference. A studio's marketing team's job is to put butts in the theater or to get folks to buy it when it comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray. So talking about what critics are saying or using RT to try and persuade folks that the film is good, is a tactic that every studio uses. 

• Like 2

The difference is that a critical consensus from Rotten Tomatoes is a simple digestible number.  Even though it doesn't tell the whole story and it's just a measurement of critics who liked or disliked a movie, the rating itself is like giving a movie an overall grade.  Rather than doing soundbytes of a bunch of reviews, some which are probably made up.  We know studios have faked positive critical quotes before or twisted them.  So instead of that, it's like, "Oh here's a handy score of the movie and how much critics liked it.  It's certified fresh."

3 minutes ago, UTJeff said:

The difference is that a critical consensus from Rotten Tomatoes is a simple digestible number.  Even though it doesn't tell the whole story and it's just a measurement of critics who liked or disliked a movie, the rating itself is like giving a movie an overall grade.  Rather than doing soundbytes of a bunch of reviews, some which are probably made up.  We know studios have faked positive critical quotes before or twisted them.  So instead of that, it's like, "Oh here's a handy score of the movie and how much critics liked it.  It's certified fresh."

You can't fake an RT percentage though. So in some ways it's a more honest representation of whether the film is good or not. So in my eyes I'd rather see certified fresh than some quote from access Hollywood or something. 

4 minutes ago, DAR said:

I don't think RT is the end all be all, but I'd rather studios show a high score rather constant blurbs from Peter Travers and Pete Hammond.   Or random tweets from JLawfan69 in its ads

Exactly. 

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

You can't fake an RT percentage though. So in some ways it's a more honest representation of whether the film is good or not. So in my eyes I'd rather see certified fresh than some quote from access Hollywood or something. 

Exactly. 

Exactly you can't.  But it's still an industry standard.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

"Whenever one buys tickets on its partner Fandango’s site, there’s a film’s Rotten Tomatoes rating staring you straight in the face. Why haven’t the majors taken umbrage with that?"

I didn't know that, I am starting to understand better the new found power of the tomato and how such a nothing, appalling movie like Manchester by the Sea can have people going to see it in droves.

Well, Fandango owns RT and Universal/Comcast and WB own Fandango.  So at least two major studios would have to take it up with themselves. 

Bottom line Fandango and RT are both consumer oriented sites - they exist to serve the potential viewer/buyer, not that studio or filmmaker.  WB and Universal could try and undermine that to serve the studio but then they'd lose their purpose and eventually their consumer base who'd move elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Talkie said:

RT has been mentioned in TV spots for more than a few films over the last two years, too. Studios will use any ploy to convince the audience that their films are good. 

It's the new "two Thumbs Up" but with hundreds of critics instead of two great (Siskel & Ebert) critics.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1