A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

44 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Might want to start lowering some expectations for this, at least critically.  

Oh... okay. I guess that's okay. I mean, I'm okay. It not being a critical hit is okay as long as it's enjoyable I guess.

I mean, it's enjoyable, right? ...Right?

I'm totally cool.

Spoiler

tumblr_inline_n2t232K3Qv1r3mxc5.gif

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Charism said:

Yeah, I know, but it's a rather 'new' thing. And it's strange. "Literally crying" over everything. Or maybe they're just using this as figure of speech. Well, whatever, it's not like I care, but I don't like cringey things. Bragging about crying over decent trailer is pretty cringeworthy. :P

For someone who supposedly doesn't care your message was a bit too hostile.

I don't do stuff like that myself, but honestly? Live and let live. I wouldn't mind some more positive emotion in my life from time to time to be honest.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

Eh, I've been worried about this movie for so long I'm a bit numb to it by now.

From a studio on the brink of artistic bankrupcy to Tom Rothman's notoriety for ruining movies by micro-managing everything, to the CGI legal issues and delays, and then rumors of script changes...

I'm just like - hey, give me a great press tour from Chris and Jen, the movie is secondery at this point.

2 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Eh, I've been worried about this movie for so long I'm a bit numb to it by now.

From a studio on the brink of artistic bankrupcy to Tom Rothman's notoriety for ruining movies by micro-managing everything, to the CGI legal issues and delays, and then rumors of script changes...

I'm just like - hey, give me a great press tour from Chris and Jen, the movie is secondery at this point.

Stronger Together.

:therethere:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Might want to start lowering some expectations for this, at least critically.  

1 hour ago, JennaJ said:

:mellow:

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

I can't be specific obviously, but simply saying I would lower expectations a bit.  

1 hour ago, JennaJ said:

Eh, I've been worried about this movie for so long I'm a bit numb to it by now.ho.

10 minutes ago, straggler said:

Someone on Awardswatch said that they heard this or that from someone. Never take that site seriously. 

OK, if this is all about the person who saw this on awardswatch, she was someone who wanted Oscar bait for Jen's fifth nomination and possibly second Oscar.  As I recall she said the rest of the 1000 people who came seemed to love it and that she thought it would be a crowd pleaser.  My main concern from her posts was that critics might also be grading this on an 'Oscar Hopeful' scale which brings in all their campaigning for their own favorites and a different standard overall, imho. 

If that is the only problem, that isn't news, but I have been wary about RT since then. 

On the other hand, this being Empire, he might have seen it himself, and that would be different.  Can you tell us that?

I'm expecting more Hunger Games reviews than Silver Lining reviews, but that would require critics grading it on a crowd pleaser scale and not an Oscar scale.  It is original material, and I'm hoping that will at least get a few points from critics.

And Jenna, I agree.  I have been looking forward to the press tour as much as for the movie.  Still, I do want the movie to be a success.  At the end of the day I will look to the box office for that, though.

2 hours ago, Charism said:

Yeah, I know, but it's a rather 'new' thing. And it's strange. "Literally crying" over everything. Or maybe they're just using this as figure of speech. Well, whatever, it's not like I care, but I don't like cringey things. Bragging about crying over decent trailer is pretty cringeworthy. :P

It doesn't bother me if other people use it, even if I don't use the phrase myself. Particularly since the internet is international, and that phrase is more in currency in some parts of the world than in others. Obviously, I don't think they are really crying, but I do think it is a popular turn of phrase in some parts of the world.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, trifle said:

OK, if this is all about the person who saw this on awardswatch, she was someone who wanted Oscar bait for Jen's fifth nomination and possibly second Oscar.  As I recall she said the rest of the 1000 people who came seemed to love it and that she thought it would be a crowd pleaser.  My main concern from her posts was that critics might also be grading this on an 'Oscar Hopeful' scale which brings in all their campaigning for their own favorites and a different standard overall, imho. 

If that is the only problem, that isn't news, but I have been wary about RT since then. 

On the other hand, this being Empire, he might have seen it himself, and that would be different.  Can you tell us that?

If it was publicly posted info on Awards Watch then Empire would say, as it stands he can't say so it's not that.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

If it was publicly posted info on Awards Watch then Empire would say, as it stands he can't say so it's not that.

K thanks. Damn.

They sure aren't dumping it, though.  The have promo scheduled in the UK, France, Spain, Germany and China at least, as well as here.

--

Edit:  OK, I don't care. I'm official excited.

I love her hair.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

Again, not saying it will bomb or anything like that, but I think people expecting 85%+ positive reviews and Oscar material need to way lower their expectations down to the "entertaining Holiday release that has some issues" territory.  Still likely going to perform very well financially, but don't think it is going to be anywhere near amazing or awards contender.  

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Again, not saying it will bomb or anything like that, but I think people expecting 85%+ positive reviews and Oscar material need to way lower their expectations down to the "entertaining Holiday release that has some issues" territory.  Still likely going to perform very well financially, but don't think it is going to be anywhere near amazing or awards contender.  

Is expecting Mag 7/Miss Peregrines reviews reasonable?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

There are people expecting Oscar material from this?!??!

I am expecting an Holiday blockbuster that entertains me and I am expecting something in the 60-65% range on RT.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I am expecting an Holiday blockbuster that entertains me and I am expecting something in the 60-65% range on RT.

That's meh for Jennifer + Chris movie. I expected off the charts chemistry and scintillating stuff. Oh well. 

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

33 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Is expecting Mag 7/Miss Peregrines reviews reasonable?

26 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Who knows, but maybe in the 65% range?  

12 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I'm hoping for above 70 and fresh, to be honest, but if people are grading it on an Oscar bait scale, that won't help it.  I'm not seeing it as an awards contender.  A lot of well reviewed movies (in terms of RT score) still have issues, but imho that is seen as less forgivable if people are defending other contenders for awards and think a movie is a challenger. 

2 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

That's meh for Jennifer + Chris movie. I expected off the charts chemistry and scintillating stuff. Oh well. 

I'm still expecting that, and for the visuals to be stunning, from everything I've seen.  A bit worried about RT now, though.

25 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

You can have that and still have any number of other issues - problematic pacing, script problems, boring direction etc etc etc.

I don't think if I have an issue with this movie, it'll be with the actors or their chemistry, honestly. The Ellen interview was enough to assure me I can expect awesome chemistry. 

BTW, I'm serisously loving all of the featuretters they've released so far. Really cool stuff.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JennaJ said:

You can have that and still have any number of other issues - problematic pacing, script problems, boring direction etc etc etc.

I don't think if I have an issue with this movie, it'll be with the actors or their chemistry, honestly. The Ellen interview was enough to assure me I can expect awesome chemistry. 

BTW, I'm serisously loving all of the featuretters they've released so far. Really cool stuff.

Me too!

Jen is going to be on Chelsea which is apparently on Netflix which I don't have (I have Hulu and Amazon Prime).  So I am going to have to figure something out for that.  At this point I don't know if Chris is going to be on it too, or if it is only Jen this time.  I don't yet have the time and date but I will.

Also there is a Deadline article on making Passengers out there that is rife with spoilers, so be warned!

---

edit: apparently the Chelsea interview will be on on December 16th.

Here is a Den Of Geek behind the scenes article, but it has SPOILERS so I am putting it in a spoiler tag....

Edited by trifle

2 hours ago, trifle said:

It doesn't bother me if other people use it, even if I don't use the phrase myself. Particularly since the internet is international, and that phrase is more in currency in some parts of the world than in others. Obviously, I don't think they are really crying, but I do think it is a popular turn of phrase in some parts of the world.

Me likey those stills :wub::wub::wub: 

• Like 2