A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

it's a kinda random assertion. I'm not seeing this moving.

Me neither. This movies release date isn't where it is because of when it'll get done.

That being said...if it's not good...it might move. It does, so I hear, have an excellent script.

Maybe they hope this will play more like American Sniper? Open in late December and run strong through Jan/Feb maybe getting some awards notice but if not holding because of the cast and decent script.

I have no clue how much this could make but 200 million seems like a good figure to aim for Domestic, maybe 600-650 WW or is that to high?.

Outside of Hunger Games, no Jennifer Lawrence has gotten close to $300M+ DOM. Not even the adored, hyped Days Of Future Past. Outside of Guardians and Jurassic World, no live action Chris Pratt movie has remotely approached $300M+ DOM.

Notice, the ones that surpassed it were extremely marketable brands - Jurassic, YA Novel, Marvel Studios - yet even X-Men of the marketable brands still failed to surpass it. Passegners is an original screenplay from Jon Spaihts with no built-in audience. The director has yet to direct a film that grossed $100M+ DOM. And, unless the release date changes, it releases within a week of Rogue One. Come on, man.

This is all true but at the same time who knows? Did anyone see American Sniper grossing that much? Maybe this will be a Titanic for a new generation? (obviously not to the same extent). When was the last time we had a big blockbuster romance come to think of it? 200 is probably a safer optimistic target but I do think anything is possible with these stars in this genre. The widespread appeal potential is there.

Because Pratt+JLaw? Because original sci-fi would-be tentpoles are often overestimated here, seemingly out of wishful thinking that THIS will be THE ONE? (And for the record, I could end up interested in this, so I am not trashing it.)

Edited by TServo2049

I want Pratt to do a serious movie for once

Well then maybe this isn't the one.

JW wasn't a comedy by any means, but if that was not serious enough, I'd think Magnificent Seven will likely fit the bill (and that one comes out before this movie does).

I love the premise of the movie but the script is utter garbage. I also think Jennifer Lawrence is very strange casting, given her strong support for feminism and standing up for women in hollywood.

Box office wise it's going to be a disaster if this is a 100M+ film. It should have stayed at 35M.

I want Pratt to do a serious movie for once

This is a serious movie. As mahna said above, most films have some humour in them; that doesn't mean the film is a comedy.

Also Ethan, why are you thinking this will do 300M? This isn't some action blockbuster, this is a drama film.

Edited by Tree-5000

Right now, it's looking at 200m as the ceiling.

Internationally, around the same amount. so 400m WW should be the goal and i think it's doable with great marketing and good WOM. If it's an Oscar contender, than that's even better. 

I'm not guaranteeing 300M by any means but if you're saying its off the table then you've lost your marbles

Even Interstellar didnt make 200m, and that was Christoper Nolan. These space dramas really have to connect with the audience. Plus this has huge competition from Rogue One.  I think 300m is highly unlikely. I'll eat my shoe if that actually happens, because it would prove the star power argument for these two without a doubt. 

Edited by babz06