A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

5 hours ago, Beals said:

Which of its overpaid, overrated stars will the media blame more if once Passengers flops at the box office? Whose alleged box office drawing power will be reported as crumbling, Pratt’s or Lawrence’s?

Neither, if the reviews I'm reading are any indication. Consensus seems to be that Pratt and Lawrence did the best they could with the fairly icky material they were handed. Too early to know if the fans will agree with the critics of course, but if they do there may be talk that Pratt and Lawrence weren't paid enough.

Warning about reviews: I'm not exaggerating that many critics think the material is icky, and there's also some anger at Sony that the trailers were misleading as to the real nature of the movie. Maybe because of this most of the reviews had major spoilers, a lot more than usual for a blockbuster. So if you don't want to be spoiled, best not read any reviews at all, unless a spoiler-tolerant friend vets them for you first.

Tbh, I don't see numbers much higher than Joy for this. Possibly something like $80m-$90m domestic, but on a $120m budget that means at best it's going to break even worldwide. 

Still, the fact that Lawrence and/or Pratt are in this is probably the only reason why this film makes any money. It's an original sci-fi film with terrible reviews going up against a Star Wars movie with great reviews that under most other circumstances would steal every penny of money from Passengers.

1 hour ago, Eevin said:

Tbh, I don't see numbers much higher than Joy for this. Possibly something like $80m-$90m domestic, but on a $120m budget that means at best it's going to break even worldwide. 

Still, the fact that Lawrence and/or Pratt are in this is probably the only reason why this film makes any money. It's an original sci-fi film with terrible reviews going up against a Star Wars movie with great reviews that under most other circumstances would steal every penny of money from Passengers.

That's the part the most weird ? What were they thinking ? I know you can do counter programming but this isn't counter programming enough to work. And there is plenty of other (and probably better) counter programming in the holidays with all the awards movies, Sing or even Assassin's Creed (which still might get good reviews).

There's a little ray of hope, it seems. Collateral Beauty have a massive disparity between critic and audience score (14% vs 60%). Since the one that actually matters is audience's opinion of the film, obviously that's great for CB.

Who knew, maybe something similar can happen with Passengers?

Edited by Captain H

11 minutes ago, Captain H said:

There's a little ray of hope, it seems. Collateral Beauty have a massive disparity between critic and audience score (14% vs 60%). Since the one that actually matters is audience's opinion of the film, obviously that's great for CB.

Who knew, maybe something similar can happen with Passengers?

You can barely see audience rate under 50%. Doesn't mean they liked it.

1 minute ago, misafeco said:

You can barely see audience rate under 50%. Doesn't mean they liked it.

Oh, I guess it's whatever then. Still hoping this can be an audience pleaser, though. Quality is certainly an issue, but I'm just naturally drawn to all sci-fi originals and root for them :P

4 minutes ago, Captain H said:

Oh, I guess it's whatever then. Still hoping this can be an audience pleaser, though. Quality is certainly an issue, but I'm just naturally drawn to all sci-fi originals and root for them :P

Seeing how Sony is [mostly] promoting this as a romance, a genre that tends to be traditionally more appealing to women, it's hard for me to imagine many women being pleased by the murky, unappetizing ethical issues (and gender dynamics) of the plot. I guess we'll see.

Edited by Cochofles

https://twitter.com/weier1231997/status/810050181626531840 

8 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Joy was trashed, less promoted and Jlaw fans weren't into it = made it $60m domestic, $100m. I think this is the floor

In retrospect without Jennifer that movie wasn't going to scrap $10m dom 

@Gavin Feng chances to perform well over there?

I am not sure whether it would flop in China. Source say that it will open on Jan.13 in this market, and Sony China will announce the release date next week.

Jordan Hoffman of The Playlist said, "If you aren't nauseated by the ethics, it's quite engaging.”And the ethics problem the critics attacked might not be seen as a major issue with China box office. A local comedy film called Goodbye Mr. Loser made $200m last year with many criticisms about straight man cancer. No one deserves Passengers would make that much because it probably won’t be as fun as comedy(especially compare with local comedy films). I think ¥150m-¥200m(about $20m-$30m) is possible even if audience think the story sucks.(Many Chinese moviegoers hate The Hunger Game and it still did ¥180m on average).

• Like 1

Spoiler

A character getting cancer has been the plot of many successful films. I don’t recall any film (let alone a successful one) in which a guy does to a girl what Pratt does to Lawrence in this movie, whic is frankly, awful —only to be rewarded by romantic attraction from the woman whose life he basically destroys. Doesn’t sound to me like a recipe for tons of women loving this film.